PDA

View Full Version : Quark-Gluon Plasma Created

Fraser
2005-Sep-06, 09:49 PM
SUMMARY: Physicists have used the Brookhaven National Laboratory's Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider to create quark-gluon plasma; a mysterious form of matter that was probably present in the first moments after the Big Bang. The team created it by smashing the nuclei of gold atoms together at relativistic speeds. The resulting explosion of particles lasted just 10-20 seconds. Astronomers think that large neutron stars might go into a quark-gluon phase before they collapse into black holes.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/rhic_detect_traces_of_mystery_matter.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

trinitree88
2006-Jul-13, 12:47 AM
SUMMARY: Physicists have used the Brookhaven National Laboratory's Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider to create quark-gluon plasma; a mysterious form of matter that was probably present in the first moments after the Big Bang. The team created it by smashing the nuclei of gold atoms together at relativistic speeds. The resulting explosion of particles lasted just 10-20 seconds. Astronomers think that large neutron stars might go into a quark-gluon phase before they collapse into black holes.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/rhic_detect_traces_of_mystery_matter.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

Fraser. The time is not in seconds, but of the order of 10-23 to 10-20 seconds. A few nucleons interact in about 10-23 seconds.....a quark/gluon ephemeral plasma is roughly a thousand times larger...hence, the 10-20 seconds....three orders of magnitude, quite a while in the world of quarks and gluons. :dance: Pete.

antoniseb
2006-Jul-13, 12:55 AM
The time is not in seconds, but of the order of 10-23 to 10-20 seconds.

For some reason cut and paste doesn't pick up the fact that some things are superspcripted very well. We are all accustomed to seeing CO2 when we mean CO2, and I've started automatically translating something crazy like 10-20 into 10-20 without even thinking about it.

trinitree88
2006-Jul-13, 01:32 AM
For some reason cut and paste doesn't pick up the fact that some things are superspcripted very well. We are all accustomed to seeing CO2 when we mean CO2, and I've started automatically translating something crazy like 10-20 into 10-20 without even thinking about it.

Agreed. It's just that I know some youngster will read it literally....and be thinking...ball lightning in the lab, an incandescent fireball for seconds....when that's actually the duration of an atmospheric nuke torus. Pete.

antoniseb
2006-Jul-13, 01:40 AM
If you follow the link to the article, the article gets it right. It is only the cut and paste abstract that gets it wrong, and I see now it has been fixed too.

sol88
2006-Jul-17, 12:41 AM
So how did they accelerate the gold atoms to these high speeds and energies??

Sol

Blob
2006-Jul-17, 01:11 AM
http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-57/iss-11/p30.html

Grand_Lunar
2006-Jul-17, 01:27 AM
This story remind me of someone that was in the ATM section, that pointed out this substance hadn't be created yet, and was liquid-like, not gas (he has long since been banned due to ad hom attacks). Goes to show that when you get the real deal, you have to be prepared to change what you predicted.

Anyway, interesting stuff (and I don't just mean the quark-gluon plasma).
I wonder what else this might lead to?

sol88
2006-Jul-17, 02:10 AM
Ahhhh...so they use electricity and magnetism to accelerate particles to high energies and speeds!

I just wonder what else uses these same forces (EM) to achieve the same outcome (particle acceleration) ?? Mmmmm....do we observe any of these particles coming from space?

Sol

Sol

Blob
2006-Jul-17, 12:24 PM
Hum,
Using natural particle accelerators could be even cheaper...All you need is a detector, like the H.E.S.S. telescope (http://www.mpi-hd.mpg.de/hfm/HESS/public/telescope/hn_telescopes.htm), to record Cosmic ray collisions.

“In the PSR B-1259-63 / SS 2883 system, nature seems to have provided astronomers - and physicists - with her very own version of a super-high energy particle accelerator - one that is thankfully well contained and a safe distance from Earth.”

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/natural_particle_accelerator.html

sol88
2006-Jul-18, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the link Blob!

I just wonder why "we" still think gravity is doing "all the work" ??

Seems a natural extension that what we observe in the PSR B-1259-63 / SS 2883 system, also happens elsewhere/everywhere we detect these signitures! (high energy particles).

Binary pair PSR B-1259-63 / SS 2883 is located some 5,000 light-years distant in the general direction of the southern hemisphere constellation Crux (the Southern Cross). The duo consists of a pulsar (PSR B-1259) and massive blue giant (SS 2883) locked into a widely-swinging dance that repeats steps every 3.4 years. The pulsar’s orbit of the more massive primary is so eccentric that the pair passes within 100 million kilometers at closest approach and they separate roughly ten times that distance at their furthest point. During closest approach, signals from the pulsar drop off significantly as it is eclipsed by the massive blue giant.

I wonder what else we observe, that when on a highly eccentric orbit in relation to the Sun, gives of charged particles ?

Sol

Nereid
2006-Jul-18, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the link Blob!

I just wonder why "we" still think gravity is doing "all the work" ??A good question ... and the answer is that accretion disks, pulsar winds, jets, SNR (supernova remnants), GRBs, ... are all astronomical phenomena being actively researched.

In all cases, it has been recognised - for a some time - that 'gravity' alone is insufficient to account for the observed phenomena.

Of course, this is quite unexceptional; after all, 'gravity alone' is clearly insufficient to account for any observed astronomical phenomenon, if only because "astronomical phenomena" are only such because we detect photons (as you know, photons are not part of any theory of gravity; the underlying physics is QED, the most precisely accurate theory in science, to date).

I know that you are well aware of this, but perhaps some other readers of this thread are not ... plasma physics is a very important part of modern astrophysics (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=44133), and work on MHD, including Alfvén's contributions (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=42173), may help explain the observed phenomena (especially, in the case of quasars, relativistic MHD).
Seems a natural extension that what we observe in the PSR B-1259-63 / SS 2883 system, also happens elsewhere/everywhere we detect these signitures! (high energy particles).

I wonder what else we observe, that when on a highly eccentric orbit in relation to the Sun, gives of charged particles ?

SolI'm afraid that I don't follow this last sentence, but, as you no doubt already know, there are several interesting (astronomical) environments which give rise to relativistic charged particles (a.k.a. 'cosmic rays') - solar flares, CMEs, pulsar winds, jets, and many kinds of shocks (e.g. SNR, where the blast wave from the SN explosion plows into the ISM; and GRBs). The underlying physics of these is a rich, and active, area of astrophysical research, in universities throughout the world.