PDA

View Full Version : Where Does Visible Light Come From?

Fraser
2005-Sep-07, 01:54 AM
SUMMARY: It's amazing thing but many amateur astronomers (and possibly the occasional professional as well!) don't have the big picture on where the bulk of the visible light in the universe comes from. "Sure" you say, "from the stars!" Ah but that's the easy answer. In fact the more you learn about light, the less straightforward such an answer becomes. In this article, Jeff Barbour probes a little deeper and the implications could light the way to an extraordinarily new appreciation for the "star stuff" seen all around us.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/where_does_visible_light.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

excite
2007-Mar-07, 05:02 PM
In the concluding comments of article leaves the impression that light recycles itself.

BigDon
2007-Mar-07, 08:34 PM
Wow, that's a perspective I hadn't thought of before.

I also learned this for the first time:

In addition to describing the gravitational effects of matter on space-time, Einstein performed an extremely elegant investigation into the influence of light associated with the photo-electric effect. Before Einstein, physicists believed lights' capacity to affect matter was based primarily on "intensity". But the photo-electric effect showed that light effected electrons on the basis of frequency as well. Thus red light - regardless of intensity - fails to dislodge electrons in metals, while even very low levels of violet light stimulate measurable electrical currents. Clearly the rate at which light vibrates has a power all its own.

Spaceman Spiff
2007-Mar-08, 04:02 PM
I found much of the article to teeter back and forth into fringe science, and then the author strays into non-sense after this --

But let's get back to the stuff we can see...I am surprised this appeared on Universe Today - what's up with that?
:(

BringinDaLoot
2007-Mar-11, 04:16 AM
Man , The universe doesn't exist , it is all a hoax and i think maybe all of you should just deal. I mean c'mon man as long as you can deal with the universe and life a hoax, mine asswell just accept that its all a joke. Find somthing to discuss other than the expanses of the universe (These unanswerable discussions last so damn long. Might be why this site is so popular

BringinDaLoot
2007-Mar-11, 04:17 AM
Man , The universe doesn't exist , it is all a hoax and i think maybe all of you should just deal. I mean c'mon man as long as you can deal with the universe and life a hoax, mine asswell just accept that its all a joke. Find somthing to discuss other than the expanses of the universe (These unanswerable discussions last so damn long. Might be why this site is so popular

BringinDaLoot
2007-Mar-11, 04:18 AM
Wow you are just so right! I mean why didn't i think of this earlier, it is just a hoax

Jerry
2007-Mar-11, 10:24 PM
Stars (such as our Sun) exist because space-time does more than simply transmit light as waves. Somehow - still unexplained - space-time causes matter too

Somebody needs to do a lot of explaining.