PDA

View Full Version : Movie Trailer: The Core

Pugg Fuggly
2002-Dec-16, 04:16 AM
I was watching Star Trek: Nemesis, and there was a trailer for a new sci-fi movie called "The Core." Here is the gist of the trailer (though my memory may not be perfectly reliable):

A new weapon is being developed that can control seismic activity, basically creating earthquakes to destroy enemies. But apparently something goes awry and Earth is hit by a giant electromagnetic storm. Apparently, the weapon has caused Earth's core to stop rotating, eliminating our magnetic field and leaving us susceptible to solar radiation. Everybody will be dead "within a year."

The rest of the movie has a ragtag team of misfits journeying to the core to save the world.

When I saw this, I bust out laughing. But then, I realized I don't really know all that much about our magnetic field: what causes it, what it does, etc. I do know that a lot of this sounds bogus.

Your thoughts?

Pugg Fuggly

Comixx
2002-Dec-16, 04:26 AM
When I saw the trailer for this movie a couple weeks ago, I laughed out loud in the theater, causing several people to look at me /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

storyline: The Earth's core has stopped rotating, and all life will cease to exist...unless our team can get to it and start it rotating again with nuclear devices.

BWAAAhahahaha! Sorry, it just cracks me up /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Comixx on 2002-12-15 23:27 ]</font>

irony
2002-Dec-16, 04:33 AM
As I understand it, the Earth's magnetic field is created by motion of liquid iron in the outer core. The moving iron creates a current, and a current creates a magnetic field... I'm not too clear on the details. Electromagnetics aren't really my strong point, but there's probably somebody around here who's an expert on it.

I can't wait to see this movie. It sounds like a lame Armageddon (which was painfully bad to begin with) ripoff. Hopefully I can see it the same way I saw Armageddon, which is with two friends in an otherwise almost empty theatre, meaning we can shout at the idiot characters and play MST3K, and nobody will have us thrown out. ^_^

g99
2002-Dec-16, 05:01 AM
yah it will be horrible. When it showed in our audience there were many snickers in the audience and several laugthing out loud. It will be fun to rent it and do a MST3K on it.
OOh ane the plot has changed. It originally was by some unknown event. But now The U.S. causes it (the core stopage) by some new super weapon. I can understand how the radiation causes weather changes, It will affect hurricanes and monsoons, that can happen with increased energy into a system.
But how does this (radiation) cause tidal waves? Maybe the tidal waves came from the core stopping initially. But this makes no sense. I say it will make even in the box office and be in video stores in a month. I will see it to laugth at it. Hopefully it will get horrible reviews from the critics the movie studio can't pay off (and don't get me going on that subject)

We discussed this movie earlier here:
http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1981&forum=4&8

and here: http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2068&forum=4

I can't wait for it to come!!!

[broken link and last sentence]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2002-12-16 00:07 ]</font>

Pugg Fuggly
2002-Dec-16, 05:53 AM
Sorry for bringing this up again then! In my defense, I did do a search for similar messages, but I gave up when I didn't find anything within the past two weeks or so. I thought it was a brand-new trailer.

Thanks anyway, folks!

Pugg Fuggly

g99
2002-Dec-16, 06:59 AM
No problem, i make that mistake all the time /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif. This board has many, many topics, it is easy to not find some of them.

nebularain
2002-Dec-16, 03:27 PM
On 2002-12-16 00:01, g99 wrote:
But how does this (radiation) cause tidal waves? Maybe the tidal waves came from the core stopping initially. But this makes no sense.
Actually, the correct term is tsunami, not tidal wave. (Tidal waves are waves caused by the tide, and there is normally nothing spectacular about those.) Tsunamis are caused by any mass disturbance in the ocean, such as a massive landslide along the continental edge or an earthquake in the ocean or underwater volcanic eruption. So, in this case, tsunamis would be a secondary result.

Pugg Fuggly - its OK that you started a new thread on this, since the premise behind the core's stopping was changed since we discussed this movie last. It gives us something new to talk about.

Maybe this is the reason they decided to delay the opening. Someone had enough sense to realize that the core does not just stop spinning, so they had to come up with a better excuse. OK, still rediculous, but at least it's slightly more reasonable (emphasize the "slightly").

g99
2002-Dec-16, 03:56 PM
Actually according to the Scifi.com site, they delayed it to add more graphical effects. They probobly changed the causation of the core stoppage on a secondary note.

RafaelAustin
2002-Dec-18, 02:29 AM
Just saw this trailer tonight... oh what a stinker! They've kept the part about jump starting the core with nukes.... my head is reeling from the illogic!

The only thing that could save this is if it's shot in the style of the old 1959 Journey to the Center of the Earth and claimed it was a 'period remake'! Complete with the duck in the basket.

Mr. X
2002-Dec-18, 02:36 AM
Yes it sounds pretty inaccurate, but the visual effects were amazing! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Glom
2002-Dec-18, 01:48 PM
In a trailer version I saw a while back, the movie looked so awful, it should have been put on Bush's axis of evil. I do remember some mention of the crisis in the movie was caused by dumping of toxic waste or something. Perhaps they have have tried to lessen the ridicule to mere Angus Deayton levels.

Did they still have the guy who claims that microwave radiation will have suddenly become a threat because of the core stoppage?

By the way, they weren't planning to use nuclear weapons to jump-start the core (what a cowboy expression), they were going to use NU-CU-LAR weapons. There's a difference.

calliarcale
2002-Dec-18, 06:07 PM
As I understand it (disclaimer: I majored in English and Computer Science, not planetary science or physics, so I may be totally wrong here!), the Earth's magnetic field is generated not by the rotation of our liquid core, but by a combination of two things.

1) The Earth's rotation, which causes this conductive core to rotate within the Sun's magnetic field, thus inducing a field. So to stop the core rotating, you'd have to stop the entire planet rotating. And then you'd have much bigger problems than the lack of a magnetic field, such as the fact that one side of the Earth now gets baked for half a year while the other side freezes.

2) The material in the core and in the mantle is liquid and/or semiliquid. And it is hot. It convects, moving in currents through the interior of the planet. This is not the same thing as rotation, but it is *movement*, and it's movement that generates the magnetic field.

There's one other reason to fear this movie. Its basic premise sounds like the inverse of the premise for "Highlander II", and anybody who's seen that movie knows what a disaster that turned out to be.

Byrd
2002-Dec-19, 03:57 PM
My daughter and I are now victims of the trailer. Oh ghods... that's AWFUL!

Do you suppose they learned their science via ouija board?

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Dec-19, 06:09 PM
On 2002-12-18 13:07, calliarcale wrote:
the Earth's magnetic field is generated not by the rotation of our liquid core, but by a combination of two things.

1) The Earth's rotation, which causes this conductive core to rotate within the Sun's magnetic field, thus inducing a field.
I'm pretty sure that that's completely wrong.

I once had a professor (a very knowledgeable guy in his own field of science) who presented as fact that the Earth's magnetic field was due to that rotation--and proved it by showing that the Earth satisfied the right-hand rule. He took the current to be in the direction of the rotation, and he showed that the north pole would then be where it is. He ignored the fact that the Earth's magnetic field rotates with the Earth--the North Magnetic Pole is not in the same place as the rotational North Pole. Also, he was unaware that electrons actually flow in the opposite direction of what we call current, and that the North Magnetic Pole of the Earth is actually a south magnetic pole.

Mr. X
2002-Dec-22, 07:35 PM
On 2002-12-19 10:57, Byrd wrote:
My daughter and I are now victims of the trailer. Oh ghods... that's AWFUL!

Do you suppose they learned their science via ouija board?

Q...A...K.... QUAKE!
R...T...H.... EARTH!
K...P...T.... KAPUT!

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

By the way, they weren't planning to use nuclear weapons to jump-start the core (what a cowboy expression), they were going to use NU-CU-LAR weapons. There's a difference.

By the way what is the deal with that? The whole Nuclear Nucular thing in english, I don't get it, and Homer Simpson says Nucular, so it must be wrong right? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr. X on 2002-12-22 14:39 ]</font>

Kaptain K
2002-Dec-22, 09:00 PM
1) It is bad English.
2) It seems that those who use it have very little grasp of what one can do. They see it as a "magic bullet" that can perform "miracles".

Mr. X
2002-Dec-23, 01:31 AM
Okay... okay, wait up... you mean that the word Nuclear can be mispronounced to the point it becomes nucular? Wouldn't you need to have suffered massive brain damage to talk like that? And they pronounce it Nucular in spite of the fact its spelled nuclear?

Smaug
2002-Dec-23, 02:55 AM
They probably get it mixed up with the word nucleus.

Kaptain K
2002-Dec-23, 05:02 AM
On 2002-12-22 20:31, Mr. X wrote:
Okay... okay, wait up... you mean that the word Nuclear can be mispronounced to the point it becomes nucular? Wouldn't you need to have suffered massive brain damage to talk like that? And they pronounce it Nucular in spite of the fact its spelled nuclear?

Well, if Dr. McCoy can (in the episode "Spock's Brain") pronounce "ganglia" as "gangula" . . . /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Mr. X
2002-Dec-23, 05:04 AM
ROFL! I never knew that! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

pmcolt
2003-Feb-03, 05:38 PM
Newbie here. Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere; just noticed this on CNN:

Trailer Pulled After Shuttle Disaster (http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/03/sprj.colu.film.shuttle.reut/index.html)

Apparently, the advertising for the movie is being reviewed in light of the recent shuttle disaster, but, as luck would have it, the movie release date is still scheduled for March 28. I'm sure everyone has his calendar marked, right?

JS Princeton
2003-Feb-03, 06:00 PM
On 2002-12-22 20:31, Mr. X wrote:

We've had presidents (including the current one) and secretaries of defense that have pronounced it nookyoolur. It's a common mistake.

tjm220
2003-Feb-03, 07:05 PM
On 2003-02-03 12:38, pmcolt wrote:
Newbie here. Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere; just noticed this on CNN:

Trailer Pulled After Shuttle Disaster (http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/03/sprj.colu.film.shuttle.reut/index.html)

Apparently, the advertising for the movie is being reviewed in light of the recent shuttle disaster, but, as luck would have it, the movie release date is still scheduled for March 28. I'm sure everyone has his calendar marked, right?

Not surprised that the trailer was pulled, with any luck the whole movie will be pulled.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif much sadness /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif

jokergirl
2003-Feb-03, 07:27 PM
And of course I had to pick this Saturday to watch ST:Nemesis and see the trailer...
I had seen the news on the Columbia disaster just before leaving, and couldn't help wondering (though I admit I shed some tears for the astronauts) if they would do the same stupid trick as with Spiderman and cut out the Endeavour scenes...

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Glom
2003-Feb-04, 05:25 PM
I had seen the news on the Columbia disaster just before leaving, and couldn't help wondering (though I admit I shed some tears for the astronauts) if they would do the same stupid trick as with Spiderman and cut out the Endeavour scenes...

How could they bring the Space Shuttle into it? The movie is about what's below, not above.

It's the same old trick. The Space Shuttle is scientific so if we put it in, it must make our movie more scientific.

I hope they don't delay the movie. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

jokergirl
2003-Feb-04, 05:51 PM
Apparently, the shuttle was hit by a magnetic (thunder)storm or ion storm of some kind... didn't quite catch it, but it would not have made sense in the first place anyway, I guess. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

jokergirl
2003-Feb-24, 05:04 PM
A little thread bumping on my side...

On 2002-12-22 14:35, Mr. X wrote:

By the way what is the deal with that? The whole Nuclear Nucular thing in english, I don't get it, and Homer Simpson says Nucular, so it must be wrong right? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

http://flem.keenspace.com/comics/20020702.jpg

Do you think he reads this board? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

liglats
2003-Mar-02, 11:43 AM
*****An Apology in Advance to Cinema-goers***

I should like tto apologise to anyone who happens to be be in the Odeon Cinema in Dunfermline some time around the end of March and is upset by the two people sitting around the middle of the cinema who are laughing fit to burst.

I saw the trailer for Core again last night, accompanied by a friend with a background in geology. We were getting strange looks from everyone around us for our snrts and giggles. This movie should have a health warning, and is so much of a turkey, we were showered by feathers... The trailer makes Armagedon look plausible, and contains more bad science than a video by a particular HB!

I'll be first in the queue on opening night!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: liglats on 2003-03-02 06:44 ]</font>

Donnie B.
2003-Mar-02, 01:54 PM
Oh, please don't go on opening night if you're planning to rip it up in the theater. That would be soooooo impolite...

When I was a kid, I went to the opening showing of "A Hard Day's Night" -- at the height of Beatlemania. I never heard the film. The theater was full of screaming teenage girls. It was an amazing scene, but not a great way to enjoy a film.

g99
2003-Mar-02, 05:39 PM
Lets have a BABB reunion, meet in a central city and go see the movie. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Then we can all groan together in unison.

Glom
2003-Mar-02, 06:20 PM
On 2003-03-02 12:39, g99 wrote:
Lets have a BABB reunion, meet in a central city and go see the movie. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Then we can all groan together in unison.

I hope you mean while watching the movie.

liglats
2003-Mar-02, 10:50 PM

Not sure what would be defined as a central city between here and Florida. See you on Ascension Island at the end of the month. Popcorn is on me!!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

SeanF
2003-Mar-03, 05:22 PM

Considering that a great many of us have never actually met each other before, wouldn't that be a "union" rather than a "reunion"? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Donnie B.
2003-Mar-03, 08:12 PM
Or "meeting", or "gathering"... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

nebularain
2003-Mar-04, 10:17 PM
Entertainment news headline:

"Bad Astronomers Gather to Mock 'Bad' Film"

g99
2003-Mar-04, 10:29 PM
On 2003-03-04 17:17, nebularain wrote:
Entertainment news headline:

"Bad Astronomers Gather to Mock 'Bad' Film"

Yes, lets get to the core of the problem with this movie.

darkhunter
2003-Mar-06, 08:30 PM
ME and a bunch of my buddies from SCA (http://www.sca.org/) and Amtgard (http://www.amtgard.com/) did that when Braveheart came out. Got some funny looks (were were in our Medieval and Fantasy garb), but it was a blast! We need an identifying item to wear/carry to know who we are (a copy of Bad Astronomy?)

edit: put some spaces between words...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkhunter on 2003-03-06 15:31 ]</font>

ToSeek
2003-Mar-06, 09:45 PM
On 2003-03-03 12:22, SeanF wrote:

Considering that a great many of us have never actually met each other before, wouldn't that be a "union" rather than a "reunion"? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

But we have a virtual union all the time! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

nebularain
2003-Mar-06, 10:11 PM
On 2003-03-06 15:30, darkhunter wrote:
We need an identifying item to wear/carry to know who we are (a copy of Bad Astronomy?)

Well, we have three choices (http://www.cafeshops.com/badastronomy) . /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

http://storetn.cafepress.com/7/1974977_F_store.jpg http://storetn.cafepress.com/4/1973324_F_store.jpg http://storetn.cafepress.com/3/1973363_F_store.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nebularain on 2003-03-06 17:13 ]</font>

Wiley
2003-Mar-06, 11:34 PM
Neb,

Don't forget us coffee drinkers.

http://storetn.cafepress.com/6/1964446_B_store.jpg

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

g99
2003-Mar-07, 02:32 AM
What we need next is a globe with the words "planet X" or "The faked moon" on one side and the BA logo on the other.

Maybe a basketball or a globe. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

David Hall
2003-Mar-07, 09:26 AM
Or maybe a kickball (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=4116&forum=10&26)? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

g99
2003-Mar-07, 04:37 PM
Here is the official website for the movie.

http://www.thecoremovie.com/

Go to the actual movie page (you have to click another link), and click on "briefing" and read that. It is better than a Douglas adams novel it is so funny.

One thing that made me fall out of my chair was when the producer was talking about the real core. He said that the core actually does grind to a halt and suddenly reverses every 700,000 years. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif I think somebody confused him about magnetic pole shifts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2003-03-07 12:23 ]</font>

calliarcale
2003-Mar-07, 04:56 PM
Oh good lord....

This movie is going to be a sheer delight for Turkeologists. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif It's not often we get a movie where the filmmakers are not merely ignoring science for expedience but actually making up their own and then flaunting it. Ususally they just come up with some scientific-sounding bafflegab and get on with the important stuff like making cars blow up. But these seem quite proud of their scientific misconceptions.

I'll rent it rather than watching it in the theater. Bad movies are much more fun in one's own living room, where you can throw popcorn at the screen and not get tossed out on your ear. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

David Hall
2003-Mar-07, 05:02 PM
I have a question. Has anyone seen any comments on other, non-science related fora about this movie? I'm curious to hear what kind of image there is of it among the general public. I mean, we here can see the raspberry coming from miles away, but what about joe netsurfer?

nebularain
2003-Mar-07, 05:09 PM
On 2003-03-07 11:37, g99 wrote:
Here is the official website for the movie.

http://www.thecoremovie.com/

Go to the actualkt movie page (you have to click another link), and click on "briefing" and read that. It is better than a Douglas adams novel it is so funny.

Oh my goodness - look at this!

[i][Director John Amiel] says the film is "science faction: a little bit of science, a certain amount of fact and a lot of fiction. . . .[i/]

No comment /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif !

Byrd
2003-Mar-07, 05:11 PM
Hasn't been reveiwed yet. However, you can monitor these things on Rotten tomatoes:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheCore-1121019/preview.php

And you can EVEN see the trailers. Oh joy! Oh rapture!

I'm betting this one ends up in the same category as Cradle 2 the Grave (characterized as "Stupid 2 the Max").

g99
2003-Mar-08, 12:16 AM
Three weeks and counting. I am really going to try to see it opening day.

I really can't wait to see how they think that a NU-KYU-LAR weapon will re-start start the earth'as core.

Added this:

O.K. i just thought of this. Once they restart the core i wonder if they will do a "instant effect" type thing or actually say it till take a long time to restart.

I really am thinking too much about this movie.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2003-03-07 20:03 ]</font>

Colt
2003-Mar-08, 09:15 PM
I just saw an updated trailer of it last night on TV and apparently they are not using a nuke to restart the core but are using one to destroy a device which is down there and has gone nuts, creating all of the electrical storms. Why does the plot of this movie keep changing? Do they keep realizing how implausible it is? -Colt

nebularain
2003-Mar-08, 09:51 PM
Maybe someone involved in the film has been reading this board and realized they needed to change things if they wanted to keep the scientific accuracy they've been trying to advertiize. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

g99
2003-Mar-08, 10:08 PM
Yah i saw the too colt. I wondered the same thing. That is why i found the website to see if they actually changed the plot. But no. The core still stops according to the main site. Maybe the machine that is stopping the core is down there and they have to use the nukes to blow it up so the core will restart.

Colt
2003-Mar-08, 10:45 PM
Could you stop the core using magnetics? Or slow it down at least? Maybe it is nothing more than a massive magnetic generator. -Colt

Glom
2003-Mar-09, 04:04 PM
But the force you'd need from your B-field generator to stop the core would be so high that the generator would be launched into space.

darkhunter
2003-Mar-09, 04:11 PM
On 2003-03-06 17:11, nebularain wrote:

On 2003-03-06 15:30, darkhunter wrote:
We need an identifying item to wear/carry to know who we are (a copy of Bad Astronomy?)

Well, we have three choices (http://www.cafeshops.com/badastronomy) . /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

http://storetn.cafepress.com/7/1974977_F_store.jpg http://storetn.cafepress.com/4/1973324_F_store.jpg http://storetn.cafepress.com/3/1973363_F_store.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nebularain on 2003-03-06 17:13 ]</font>

To bad they're not available in black--think all I own are black t-shirts (exept some of the ones I have to were for work....) /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Colt
2003-Mar-09, 11:19 PM
Grey shirts and black jeans for me. White gets dirty really fast when you are working. -Colt

g99
2003-Mar-10, 09:01 AM
Just saw the new trailer. They mentioned a weapon inside the earth's core causeing all of the probelms. No mention of the core stopping. Maybe they really did change the story from the core stopping to just a superweapon. Or it could just be the commercials.

You know what. If they did, i am very sad about this. I was really looking forward to laugthing and debunking the movie. Especially since it is about something i know about. (i am getting a minor in geography and have taken many geology classes). /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

DaveOlden
2003-Mar-10, 10:55 AM
On 2003-03-10 04:01, g99 wrote:
[snip] If they did, i am very sad about this. I was really looking forward to laugthing and debunking the movie...

Y'know, g99, I think you have another symptom to list at the Signs You Are A BABB Addict (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=4127&forum=1&79) thread.

You're dissappointed when you can't debunk. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaveOlden on 2003-03-10 05:57 ]</font>

Glom
2003-Mar-10, 11:58 AM
It says a lot about a movie when the producers decide they have to completely revamp the story. That is a phenomenal waste of money. It's still not going to save the movie from being complete muppetass. They still have NU-CU-LAR weapons.

daver
2003-Mar-10, 05:49 PM
On 2003-03-10 06:58, Glom wrote:
It says a lot about a movie when the producers decide they have to completely revamp the story. That is a phenomenal waste of money. It's still not going to save the movie from being complete muppetass. They still have NU-CU-LAR weapons.

I saw a couple seconds of a trailer on TV; it doesn't look as if there's going to be any shortage of things to guffaw about, unless they put all their good stupid stuff in the commercial.

g99
2003-Mar-10, 06:46 PM
Well since they have possibly changed the plot, this movie has lost all credibility in my mind. *

*O.K. maybe replace lost with Gained. And all with no.

nebularain
2003-Mar-10, 07:13 PM
Take heart - g99!

You still have your prediction from this thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=2068&forum=4&start=25) to be seen. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

They say that there will be a character driven movie, B.S. all movies say that. I can tell you the characters now: The sexy woman who know everything (scientists or military tactitian), the handsom man who is the great leader who pulls everyone together, the mutinous "bad guy" who mutineys at the end of the movie nearly sending all to their death, the stupid red shirted extra who will be killed halfway throught the movie, and the eccentric scientist who just happens to of invented a untested technology that works with the exact perameters that are needed for the mission. and finally the full time military hard nosed , follow the rules guy who learns the errors of his ways by the end and throws away all of the rules to save the girl.

SKY
2003-Mar-11, 04:24 AM
O.K... I can see why you would put a weapon that produces earthquakes under the crust of the earth, you would what to put it where it would have the biggest effect...but what does the lightning have to do with it?

Also, isn't the core of the earth as hot or hotter than the Chromosphere of the sun (I could be way off but I thought I read that, now that I think of it, it may have been the Corona)? In the trailer they are walking around in the core with fully flexable suits, obviously magical since they are not flatten to a pancake due to the pressure. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Colt
2003-Mar-11, 05:58 AM
They may not have to actually go all the way to the core, just into the mantle since anything under the crust could be called "the core". Still want to see the thing though. -Colt

g99
2003-Mar-11, 06:06 AM
They really don't even have to go that far into the mantle since the tectonic plates only ride on the very most upper portion of the mantle called the Asthenosphere. It is a part of the mantle with plastic like properties. The rest is more or less solid rock. Albeit very hot and very high pressure rock.

So if the weapon wanted to casue earthquakes it would not be at the core. The core has nuthing to do with the earthquakes.

Colt
2003-Mar-11, 06:19 AM
I took Geology my freshmen year, I know. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gifI kept pestering my teacher about if you could cause an earthquake by detonating a nuke below the crust. Can't remember the answer though..

Maybe this device somehow uses the heat in the mantle to power itself, if so, it could generate massive amounts of electricity, maybe the machine going mad is what is causing the storms. -Colt

SKY
2003-Mar-11, 08:23 AM
On 2003-03-11 01:06, g99 wrote:
They really don't even have to go that far into the mantle since the tectonic plates only ride on the very most upper portion of the mantle called the Asthenosphere. It is a part of the mantle with plastic like properties. The rest is more or less solid rock. Albeit very hot and very high pressure rock.

So if the weapon wanted to casue earthquakes it would not be at the core. The core has nuthing to do with the earthquakes.

Right, I could picture the "Device" being under the crust (for the movies sake) or within the Mantle of the earth. I have no idea why they would put a weapon that causes earthquakes in the Core of the earth (or anywhere for that matter).

Another question, is the device in the inner Core or the outer Core of the earth? Not that it matters, just wondering if the writters of the movie knew the difference or if they just lumped them together as one big Core.

G99 & Colt-

I commend you for bravery in actually WANTING to see this movie on opening day.

Probably a dumb question, but are either of you going to give a review of it (assuming you aren't vegetable matter afterwards /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif) on the BABB after viewing it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SKY on 2003-03-11 03:24 ]</font>

g99
2003-Mar-11, 08:41 AM
SKY: I will try. Like i did for Nemesis and a few other movies on this board. But i might not be the first. I will still put in my opinion. I hope you and others will too. Lets debunk this movie to death. The BA also said he will do a review of the movie sometime a while back.

kucharek
2003-Mar-11, 08:47 AM
The Core already premiered in Denmark, according to the IMDB

http://us.imdb.com/Details?0298814

Maybe because of Jules Verne?

The BA should should make a contest for the first one who posts a convincing review of The Core here. A BA shirt?

Harald

Glom
2003-Mar-11, 11:49 AM
Go on then Kucharek. A quick hop over the border to Denmark. Bring us back the news. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

kucharek
2003-Mar-11, 11:59 AM
I guess, there are some places in the south-east of England that are closer to Denmark than Karlsruhe...

To Spin or not to Spin, that's the Question!
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark...

Harald

David Hall
2003-Mar-11, 04:44 PM
Well, it looks like the movie is already getting a drubbing from the posters on the IMDB. One person has already called it Armageddon 2. No surprise there, huh?

It has recieved a few positive comments; some good action and effects, and dialog that's better than some. But overall it seems to be living up (down) to the image the trailer gave it.

Check it out at Harald's link above.

Colt
2003-Mar-12, 04:25 AM
I will definitely review it and attempt to see it on the first day. A t-shirt would give me even more incentive. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif Does anyone know of a definite release date for the USA? -Colt

SKY
2003-Mar-12, 04:56 AM
By the way...looking at the trailer again, doesn't it look like the pressure suites they are wearing are recycled from Armageddon. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

tvelocity
2003-Mar-12, 10:45 AM
So how are the heros getting down there? Geologists estimate the pressure near the core at 1.4 million atmospheres! When is this movie supposed to take place? Currently there are only a handful of submarines that can even dive to the deepest depths of the ocean. Also the temperature down there is at about 3900 C, more than the boiling point of iron at sea level.

kucharek
2003-Mar-12, 10:51 AM
That's why such movies are called Science Fiction... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Harald

daver
2003-Mar-12, 05:05 PM
On 2003-03-12 05:51, kucharek wrote:
That's why such movies are called Science Fiction... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Harald

Well, i can see the fiction part. Where does the science come in?

SKY
2003-Mar-15, 04:06 AM
I can't believe it...I just went to http://www.Space.com and they were advertising The Core.

Why, Space.com Why??? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif

Personally I think that This Current Overrated Retched Entertainment...Could Offend Real Engineers. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

PS...It Can't Offer Realism Either. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

[edited to add last part]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SKY on 2003-03-15 00:31 ]</font>

Glom
2003-Mar-17, 08:33 PM
It's been there for days now. It's really starting to annoy me. Then again, Hollywood studios pay big bucks for their advertising. Anything that helps such a noble site as Space.com is worth it.

tjm220
2003-Mar-17, 09:00 PM
Is it a good time to invest in popcorn? I hear that "microwaves will literally cook our planet" and I want to enjoy the show.

g99
2003-Mar-17, 09:27 PM
Hey if microwaves will cook our planet so fast why can we survive on the moon or how does our machinary survive on mars? Mars has no large magnetic field, yet it is not cooked.

Also as every kid who put aluminum foil in the microwave knows, all you have to do is cover your house in alumanum foil and they microwaves will bounce back harmlessly. Forget duct tape, get foil. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

AJ
2003-Mar-18, 03:58 PM
Interestingly enough the latest addition of Popular Science has a debunking article of this movie in it. You know it's BAD when Pop Sci has an article about how wrong it is.

-AJ

Glom
2003-Mar-18, 05:02 PM
Microwaves are the silliest thing in the trailer (and I do mean the trailer). I like the way that posh guy who's trying to sound very intelligent and professional and he is actually sounding like a complete muppet.

ToSeek
2003-Mar-18, 05:34 PM
On 2003-03-17 16:00, tjm220 wrote:
Is it a good time to invest in popcorn? I hear that "microwaves will literally cook our planet" and I want to enjoy the show.

Surround yourself with popcorn, and you'll be protected and have a stock of food.

daver
2003-Mar-18, 06:14 PM
On 2003-03-18 12:02, Glom wrote:
Microwaves are the silliest thing in the trailer (and I do mean the trailer). I like the way that posh guy who's trying to sound very intelligent and professional and he is actually sounding like a complete muppet.

Which muppet? Animal? Gonzo? Oh, I know. Beaker!

Glom
2003-Mar-18, 06:18 PM
Not that kind of muppet. I like those kinds of muppets. I'm talking about the Rob kind, those who are condemned by BeelzeBob himself to the Abyss of Stupidity.

g99
2003-Mar-18, 09:22 PM
On 2003-03-18 10:58, AJ wrote:
Interestingly enough the latest addition of Popular Science has a debunking article of this movie in it. You know it's BAD when Pop Sci has an article about how wrong it is.

-AJ

Dang, and i just gave away my copy to a relative to read. I'll check out the website.

Added this:

Ahh! Found it. I remember it now. It was a good article. Hmm...All of the Orange Juice must be going to my head. Must not read mags over spring break anymore. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Here (http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,433676,00.html)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2003-03-18 16:27 ]</font>