PDA

View Full Version : Oregon is bulging

ToSeek
2005-Sep-07, 04:52 PM
Mystery Bulge in Oregon Still Growing (http://livescience.com/forcesofnature/ap_050906_sisters_bulge.html)

A recent survey of a bulge that covers about 100 square miles near the South Sister indicates the area is still growing, suggesting it could be another volcano in the making or a major shift of molten rock under the center of the Cascade Range. Recent eruptions at nearby Mount St. Helens in Washington state have rekindled interest in the annual Sisters survey and its findings.

Oregon has four of the 18 most active volcanoes in the nation -- Mount Hood, Crater Lake, Newberry and South Sister. A recent U.S. Geological Survey report said monitoring is inadequate (http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/050429_volcano_danger.html) at all of them, with only basic monitoring at about half of the active volcanoes.

Unlike the volcanoes, the bulge gets an extensive annual survey to track its growth. Spread out across an area nearly as big as the city of Portland, It's centered about three miles southwest of the South Sister, about 25 miles from Bend.

publiusr
2005-Sep-07, 04:56 PM
That's all we need.

jfribrg
2005-Sep-07, 05:37 PM
Dang, I saw that yesterday and thought of posting it, but I figured if I did I would have been toSeeked by a day. There went my first chance in 2 years to toSeek toSeek.

I assume Nancy and the GLPers are already talking about the Yellowstone supervolcano. I can see how it would go: The pole shift slowed down the Earth's crustal rotation, but not the mantle rotation, so that instead of the supervolcano emerging in Wyoming, it emerged in Oregon instead.

hhEb09'1
2005-Sep-07, 10:30 PM
I assume Nancy and the GLPers are already talking about the Yellowstone supervolcano. I can see how it would go: The pole shift slowed down the Earth's crustal rotation, but not the mantle rotation, so that instead of the supervolcano emerging in Wyoming, it emerged in Oregon instead.Isn't that backwards? Or would it go all the way around, through Europe and Asia back to Oregon? :)

jfribrg
2005-Sep-08, 01:22 PM
Isn't that backwards? Or would it go all the way around, through Europe and Asia back to Oregon? :)

Good point, but for a true GLPer not a problem. In fact this could be the proof that Nancy is looking for. This could be used as proof that the mantle slowed down but not the crust, which is why we're not seeing the PX effects.