PDA

View Full Version : Direct linking from BA site

Glom
2005-Sep-07, 11:18 PM
You know, the one attached to this board? At the moment, it's still linking to an intermidiary page. When's there going to be a direct link?

ToSeek
2005-Sep-08, 01:48 AM
I don't see a problem with the current setup in the short-term, and it might be helpful to alert people who've been accessing the boards that way. But I agree that after a couple of weeks the link should come here directly.

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Sep-08, 04:14 AM
Yeah, I want to give everyone plenty of time to see it.I've had 14,000 page views to that page this past week! Once that rate drops down sufficiently I'll put in a direct link.

frogesque
2005-Sep-08, 05:28 PM
You know, the one attached to this board? At the moment, it's still linking to an intermidiary page. When's there going to be a direct link?

I just fired up Bad Astronomy, got the auto redirct to BAUT then updated my bookmark. No problems.

Captain Kidd
2005-Sep-08, 05:35 PM
Couldn't you change the homepage link to come directly to here while at the same time keeping that intermediate page live so that those who use bookmarks will still be redirected and thus alerted?

That way your pages viewed statistic isn't being influenced by those who know the forum has changed but come here via click-though on your homepage. (Which I do some of the time if Iím there checking the blog or some such.) I've ended up doing something similar with 2 or 3 hidden redirect pages thanks to newspapers mispublishing links and whatnot.

[Let's play the edit game. I think it's good now.]

mjparme
2005-Sep-08, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I always come here from the link on the front page of badastronomy.com and just wait for it to re-direct me. I like checking out the front page before coming to the forums. If there are a lot of people like me then that could skew the statistics.

Glom
2005-Sep-08, 06:04 PM
The thing is that I, shocking I know, always get to the board via the main site. All my links go through the main site so I click on that link.

Glom
2005-Sep-08, 09:40 PM
If you could just stop the links on that page from opening a new browser, it wouldn't be so irritating.

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-21, 11:44 AM
Glom, do you use FireFox?