PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of it so far

Sticks
2005-Sep-08, 08:16 AM
It has been nearly a week now of trying to get use to this new system, that crashes you browser when you want to make a post above two sentances.

Is it the bees knees or a load of Bee's (insert own expletive)

Have just realised this has the chance of being a duplicate of Bug Bin, so this is for overall impressions, and bug bins for specific gripes, if the system will let you post them that is.

Personally I would advise you to compose in note pad and paste in the quick reply, the way things seem to Not Work around here :mad:

Sticks
2005-Sep-08, 08:20 AM
This was meant to be a poll, but I forgot to tick the box and it would not let me delete it and start again

PhantomWolf
2005-Sep-08, 08:33 AM
I'm still trying to figure it all out and find all the old threads. I know this is all nice and flash and full of new people, but I miss the old BABB :(

2005-Sep-08, 08:35 AM
I feel your pain, but I don't feel your pain. I mean, it's not triggering crashes for me, so it's peachy, but I am sorry you're having problems. The forums seem fairly lively, so I can't imagine a lot of people are having difficulties.

Fram
2005-Sep-08, 08:51 AM
No problems here either. And finding old threads will get easier once the search database is complete again. I'm quite happy, although I'm not used to all quirks of the software yet.

Matthew
2005-Sep-08, 09:01 AM
Overall the vB software is a much better piece of software than either phpBB or IPB. While some people are having issues with their browser crashing, that is very much in the minority.

Once a few more things settle down, server loads should bottom out and there should be less lag (and perhaps this will decrease the number of browser crashes).

Sleepy
2005-Sep-08, 10:33 AM
I use other board that run on vB that are much much larger than this one. They are very stable and don't cause peoples browsers to lock up. This suggests that the problem lies in your pc or is a settting up gremlin with this new board which will hopefully be resolved with time.

Sticks
2005-Sep-08, 11:43 AM
I use other board that run on vB that are much much larger than this one. They are very stable and don't cause peoples browsers to lock up. This suggests that the problem lies in your pc or is a settting up gremlin with this new board which will hopefully be resolved with time.

Well it can not be all our PC's :mad:

It has to be something wrong with the set up

BTW why should I be forced to use a certain browser so I can participate here :mad:

Sleepy
2005-Sep-08, 11:54 AM
Well it can not be all our PC's :mad: Its not, I've not had any problems posting.
It has to be something wrong with the set uperr you give M$ too much credit, but you are probably right.
BTW why should I be forced to use a certain browser so I can participate here :mad:You are not, but if its a quick and simple solution then why not? If you don't like it you can always revert back, once the problem is fixed. Honestly both Opera and firefox are better browsers than IE. If you've not tried one or both of them and you are not a complete neophyte when it comes to computers, give one or both a go.

CJSF
2005-Sep-08, 11:57 AM
I don't like the organization, compared to BABB. I liked having specifc fora dedicated to Mars and the Moon, for one thing.

Stuff is lumped with other stuff, or split among different fora. It takes me longer to find what I am interested in reading, and since I have limited browsing time, that's annoying.

CJSF

Fram
2005-Sep-08, 11:59 AM
I just want to say that it is very easy that now, if I watch a thread, stay logged in, and watch the thread again because there is a new post, it takes me automatically to the first post added after I last watched the thread, and not the first post added after I logged in (and which I've seen yet in this example); as happened on BA. Hurrah!

NEOWatcher
2005-Sep-08, 12:12 PM
I like all the new features. There are some things that annoy me, but I think they're mostly things that I need to get used to (like getting familiar with the catagories). Although with soo much more participation and subjects, it does seem much more "noisy".

Moose
2005-Sep-08, 12:48 PM
Overall, I'm still feeling quite positive about this. I'm not experiencing any trouble of note using the forums except for a few minor little aches and pains stubbing my toes and barking my knees on sharp corners as I get used to the new layout. I have to say that the new board doesn't feel as slick and comfortable as the old BABB, but I suspect that's me rather than the board's fault.

I is happy.

pghnative
2005-Sep-08, 01:10 PM
On the plus side, I like having more members, I like the preview feature ("yellow sticky things"), though I wish I could make them last for more than 3 seconds, I like the General Science category and I like the indicator that shows if a poster is logged in or not. (Easy to see if worth waiting for a reply when in a spirited debate)

On the negative side, I dislike the inability to easily stack quotes, I dislike the multiple fora for astronomy topics, and I really dislike the look of threads. (waaay too much space wasted on the username block)

So for now its a wash.

Kesh
2005-Sep-08, 01:23 PM
I'm used to this forum software so, overall, I'm fairly happy with it.

Fraser
2005-Sep-08, 02:30 PM
As a moderator/administrator, I'm absolutely overjoyed. You have no idea how much easier this is for Phil and I to provide this service. :-)

Tensor
2005-Sep-08, 02:42 PM
Mostly, I'm pretty happy and impressed. Most of the changes I think will just take time to get used to. The one that really make the change difficult is inability to automatically stack quotes, like the BABB could.

Fraser
2005-Sep-08, 02:52 PM
I would add my vote to beg Sticks to give [Firefox/Opera] a try, it does everything IE does, except better... and safer.

Please? I'll be your best friend.

pumpkinpie
2005-Sep-08, 02:57 PM
I'm still getting used to it, and arethere are some things I'm not comfortable with yet, like the number of fora and how they are differently separated/combined than at BABB. But the new feature I like that really helps get over that hump is the "new posts" option. I can just see everything new that has been posted since I was last here, and not have to go through every forum individually to see what's new!

R.A.F.
2005-Sep-08, 02:58 PM
I'm quite happy with everything. I'm not having any real problems at all.

I've been "zipping around" all over the place and the response time seems to be faster than on the old board...

I particularly like the "new posts" feature...it saves me the trouble of going through every thread to see what's "new" :)

crosscountry
2005-Sep-08, 03:05 PM
I'm adjusting pretty well. The appearance takes a little to get used to, but other than that.... maybe too many forums?

ToSeek
2005-Sep-08, 03:07 PM
Well it can not be all our PC's :mad:

Sounds like it's just yours. Have you encountered any complaints from anyone else? I'm accessing this board both on a PC at work and a Mac at home, and in both cases am finding it easier to deal with than the old BABB.

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Sep-08, 04:11 PM
Sticks what version browser and OS are you using? Do you have a firewall?

I am not having any issues like that, using XP and IE 6, and given that there are virtually no reports of trouble with thousands of posts, I think it's gotta be local on your machine. Try clearing all your cookies and cache, too.

peter eldergill
2005-Sep-08, 04:25 PM
I found the BaBB easier to read, even though it had some quirks, too

I like the quick reply box

I preferred the old emoticons to these ones...

Pete

Sticks
2005-Sep-08, 04:49 PM
Sticks what version browser and OS are you using? Do you have a firewall?

I am not having any issues like that, using XP and IE 6, and given that there are virtually no reports of trouble with thousands of posts, I think it's gotta be local on your machine. Try clearing all your cookies and cache, too.

IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

Windows XP with Service pack 2
Using Norton Internet Secuirity Guard 2004 as my firewall

I also had the lock up at work, which is IE6 with McAffee as the firewall, so it is not just my home PC

Also I notice someone has started a thread devoted to the locking issue. From what I can see, if a post is too long, you crash your machine. So keep a copy on notepad before clicking either preview or submit.

frogesque
2005-Sep-08, 05:01 PM
I miss the old Mars forum - other than that I've no real issues with posting or content

CJSF
2005-Sep-08, 05:31 PM
As I've said in the thread I started, I don't like the yellow pop-up summary boxes. I have to remember to move my mouse to the margin of the browser to scroll without getting aggravated (I use the mouse wheel to scroll)... but I'll deal with it.

CJSF

umop ap!sdn
2005-Sep-08, 06:07 PM
I've posted on other boards which use vB, phpBB, and IPB so I've not really had to get used to anything here. I like the vB software much better than phpBB - but maybe that's because the first board I joined was vB. :D

As for browsers, I'll also second (third?) the suggestion to try either Firefox or Opera. Opera has been problem free for me on every type of message board. In fact, there was a time where, on a relative's computer that was infected with malware, vB boards caused IE to slow almost to a stop, and my solution was to install a different browser. :)

As a moderator/administrator, I'm absolutely overjoyed. You have no idea how much easier this is for Phil and I to provide this service. :-)
IPB gives me the impression of being much more convenient than either phpBB or vB; just about everything is one click away. But this is the opinion of just a regular board member. It sounds to me like vB is so much easier to moderate and administer than IPB was?

Wolverine
2005-Sep-08, 06:16 PM
So keep a copy on notepad before clicking either preview or submit.

I've had no hang/crash issues whatsoever, but always save long posts in notepad along the way, just in case my machine does something funny, my ISP drops, or whatever else.

publiusr
2005-Sep-08, 06:18 PM
I'm still trying to figure it all out and find all the old threads. I know this is all nice and flash and full of new people, but I miss the old BABB :(

Me too. Trust me--most mergers never work.

Gillianren
2005-Sep-08, 06:52 PM
I'm (slowly) getting to know some of the UT posters, and I think--for me at least--that it'll be a few months before we feel like one big group, but it will happen.

no browser crashes, no computer crashes for me. (and I've made some big posts!) further, this board would have a long way down to go before it became the most user-unfriendly board I'd ever used. (that dubious honour would go to the official MythBusters board, which wouldn't even let you use italics or bold.)

allow me to add my vote to the "nesting quotes, please" side. sometimes, it would be a nuisance to clear some of 'em out--really, you don't need to put more than two nested quotes most of the time--but I'm just not proficient enough at the code to do it myself. (yes, you could all tell me, but before you do, ask yourself one thing--would I remember it when I wanted to use it? how many times did people tell me the code for URLs, which I still don't remember?)

I have no opinion on this set of smilies, as I don't use them and actually find most of them pretty annoying. I will say that they should be used sparingly, for emphasis, or not at all, but again, that's my opinion, and I don't really expect everyone to agree with it.

Nereid
2005-Sep-08, 08:47 PM
vBulletin was not new to me; however, the re-organisation has taken some time for me to get used to (I was active in both BA and UT, prior).

All in all, I feel this is way better than before!

Only two things:

- I too like the nested quote capability of BA (sure you can always re-created it here, but the default is one level too few IMHO; you don't much need more than 3 levels, but I often wish I had two!)

- the BA's smilies include some really nice ones - hear! hear!; Doh!; cry; uh uh! (folded arms, shake head); beat head against brick wall (OK, that wasn't in the default set, but I could always CRTL-C and -V it).

mickal555
2005-Sep-09, 03:26 AM
Yeah- bring back then old smilies!

Obviousman
2005-Sep-09, 04:13 AM
I inhabit a lot of different boards with different styles, so this isn't too different for me.

I have no problems with it so far.

And I'm getting to meet all these really neat new people! Cool!

Trebuchet
2005-Sep-09, 04:18 AM
Me too. Trust me--most mergers never work.

You got that right. I'm feeling paranoid tonight, so you'll have to search some old threads (B787 might be a good one) to see where I work.