PDA

View Full Version : Electric Shield for Astronauts on the Moon

Fraser
2005-Sep-08, 04:21 PM
SUMMARY: Now that NASA has committed itself to returning humans to the Moon, they're looking to overcome one of the major risks to anyone staying in space for a lengthy amount of time: radiation. In deep space, and on the Moon, astronauts would be bombarded by radiation from the Sun, and cosmic rays from space. NASA is considering an electromagnetic shield of highly charged inflatable spheres. These could be erected above a potential lunar base to attract the radiation and channel it safely away.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/electric_shield_astronauts_moon.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

CuriousSteve
2006-Apr-12, 03:31 PM
Tesla apparati of charged particles circa 1898. Free.
Vander Graf generator developed at MIT circa 1933. Free.
Funding for "new science" R&D?
Priceless.
:D

antoniseb
2006-Apr-12, 03:55 PM
Hi CuriousSteve, welcome to the BAUT forum.

Two things:

- What is new here is the thought that this could be used to protect lunar surface astronauts from solar charged particles. The device itself is certainly not new.

- I'm curious how you as a first time poster came upon this UT article from half a year ago? Can you tell us what search turned it up?

CuriousSteve
2006-Apr-12, 05:17 PM
My inquiriy string, may have been something like "dynamic gravity & unity & sphere radiance & ion magnetics", as an image search via google. My search was completely un related to Astronomy, however, I often read most articles referencing a subject, so I read this one. Nothing in it for me that was new, but I did get a chuckle out of it.
Nice board and site.
Kudos.

publiusr
2006-Apr-13, 06:16 PM
Tesla apparati of charged particles circa 1898. Free.
Vander Graf generator developed at MIT circa 1933. Free.
Funding for "new science" R&D?
Priceless.
:D

Steampunk lives.

Grand_Lunar
2006-Apr-14, 03:53 PM
So, if this does work, then future space ship commanders can now order "shields up!"?

It'd be great to see this come about. And who knows what else it could be used for?

neilzero
2006-Apr-16, 05:25 PM
I had been considering a ten million volt dc power line all the way around the equator of the moon, so I am encouraged that 100 million volts may be practical.
I don't think this will work well as the artist depicted. Perhaps a dome of a triple layer of spheres, all negatively charged. This would repel the negatively charged ions, so they hit the moon just outside the circumfrence of the dome. The positive ions and dust would hit the spheres and loose their charge, then be reverse charged negative, so that they would also be repelled. At 100 million volts, even a small current can be a megawatt or more. It could exceed half the power needs of the base. A grounded foil and mesh roof (like a Faraday cage) over the work areas would shield the astronaughts and equipment from the powerful electrostatic field. The article did not explain magnetic nor electromagnetic. Ideas anyone? Neil