PDA

View Full Version : Get Fuzzy appropos to hoax debate

Geo3gh
2002-Dec-23, 08:31 PM
http://www.comics.com/comics/getfuzzy/archive/getfuzzy-20021223.html

OK, this isn't about the lunar hoax, but I love Bucky's logic here.

irony
2002-Dec-23, 10:17 PM
Er... what's wrong with how we pronounce 'offense'?

For that matter, what's wrong with how we pronounce 'out'? I've had people tell me that they know I'm Canadian because of how I say 'out,' but as far as I can tell, I'm not pronouncing it any differently than they are.

SeanF
2002-Dec-23, 10:36 PM
On 2002-12-23 17:17, irony wrote:
Er... what's wrong with how we pronounce 'offense'?

For that matter, what's wrong with how we pronounce 'out'? I've had people tell me that they know I'm Canadian because of how I say 'out,' but as far as I can tell, I'm not pronouncing it any differently than they are.

You say it more like "oot" than "owt." /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

To put an astronomical bent on this topic, I visited Florida a couple years ago and went to KSC. At one point along the tour, they had a video playing on a monitor featuring a Canadian astronaut talking about the "Canadarm" that had recently been brought up to ISS. At one point, the fellow used the expression "without a doubt," quite clearly saying "withoot a doot." I found it rather humorous. On the other hand, I don't know how Canadians say "offense" . . .

(BTW, if you ever see the movie Fargo, you'll get a pretty good idea of how we Midwesterners talk, you betcha)

irony
2002-Dec-24, 05:53 AM
As far as I know, I say it 'owt.' Weird.

Mainframes
2002-Dec-24, 11:04 AM
On 2002-12-23 17:36, SeanF wrote:
You say it more like "oot" than "owt." /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Isn't that more scottish?

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Dec-24, 11:06 AM
I'd settle for more scotch