PDA

View Full Version : Senior Membership.

taurus26
2005-Sep-10, 03:38 PM
I have noticed within the last hour or so that I have been elevated to the position of Senior Member.

In light of the rumblings I have stirred here and there I must say I am extremely honoured to be given that position in such fine company.

Then again, it is possible that somebody has viewed my profile and considered it best to promote me before I finally kick the bucket!

Robert Andersson
2005-Sep-10, 04:21 PM
Your ramblings might have somthing to do with it. They got you over 100 posts ;)

Fraser
2005-Sep-10, 04:35 PM
The senior members are anyone who've done more than 100 posts. Although I'd like to say we had a long and meaningful ceremony to discuss your contributions, with each of the moderators taking a moment to read one of your more memorable posts with fondness, the cold calculating vBulletin software made the decision.

I think we'll be bringing back more ranks at some point. Although part of me doesn't like the classism aspects of it.

crosscountry
2005-Sep-10, 04:50 PM
classism... hmmm. I consider myself a rather new member here. The Senior part is questionable.

Maybe it should be based on time and posts. or time and posts per day. That would work.

taurus26
2005-Sep-10, 05:07 PM
100 posts eh! I suspect I will be slowing down but I am glad I made 100.

Thank you everybody for your help.

And for crosscountry -

3)

Jakenorrish
2005-Sep-13, 12:33 PM
I too am not sure about the ranks. I reckon it would be cool if you could give yourself your own rank.

Any way, this is 'Apollo Commander' Norrish signing off for the day!

mickal555
2005-Sep-13, 01:00 PM
Bring Back the BABB ranks I say!

I am quite miffed that I never made the last 5000 post rank of PostDoc...

Kaptain K
2005-Sep-13, 05:44 PM
I reckon it would be cool if you could give yourself your own rank.
My rank is in my user name! ;)

umop ap!sdn
2005-Sep-13, 07:16 PM
I am quite miffed that I never made the last 5000 post rank of PostDoc...
I never even exceeded Bad Newbie. :razz:

Kristophe
2005-Sep-13, 07:40 PM
100 posts does seem a bit low to call someone a senior member. I've always been fond of letting people pick their own title, even if only after they post a certain number of times. That's usually enacted on boards that are trying to create or maintain chatter, though. People here hardly need to be bribed into posting.

GDwarf
2005-Sep-13, 08:41 PM
100 posts does seem a bit low to call someone a senior member. I've always been fond of letting people pick their own title, even if only after they post a certain number of times. That's usually enacted on boards that are trying to create or maintain chatter, though. People here hardly need to be bribed into posting.
I'm on a board that used to have a 1000 posts = custom title, they recently got rid of it to help cut down on spam (That actually saddens me, I worked hard to get that custom title, and now people get them after only a year... *ahem*), Anyways, I wouldn't mind seeing a custom title available after X posts, or X time if you're worried about spam, as the other board is vB I know that the time element can be used somehow.

Jorge
2005-Sep-13, 09:01 PM
10 000 post: BAUT permenent resident

hehe

Darth Maestro
2005-Sep-13, 10:38 PM
nothing can be assumed by what title you have. It's meaningless

mickal555
2005-Sep-14, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't know what to put...

crosscountry
2005-Sep-14, 01:03 AM
I'd put "Supreme Master of the Universe"

or something to that effect.

Fram
2005-Sep-14, 07:29 AM
nothing can be assumed by what title you have. It's meaningless

It's harmless fun.

Darth Maestro
2005-Sep-14, 09:55 PM
well in that case ... i guess I'm 'Senior Ignoramus'

Moose
2005-Sep-14, 10:09 PM
'Resident grump'

Darth Maestro
2005-Sep-14, 10:24 PM
Moose, your avatar reminds me of a song i know -- this is my favourite phrase
'I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I'm a rocket man'

Moose
2005-Sep-14, 10:31 PM
rocket man'

:) My boss nicknames me that sometimes because of the many NASA photos decorating my office space.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Sep-14, 10:59 PM
EX-President of the Galaxy

Fits ....

Don'tcha Think?

:razz:

umop ap!sdn
2005-Sep-15, 12:13 AM
'I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I'm a rocket man'
Elton John rocks! :dance:

Hmm, if I were to come up with a custom member title, I'd probably pick Space Case. It fits me in more ways than one.

Fram
2005-Sep-15, 07:19 AM
If there hadn't been a user with the same name yet, I'ld pick Astrosmurf. "Brainy" might come across pretentious for people who don't know the Smurfs :)

crosscountry
2005-Sep-15, 01:40 PM
little blue men huh? :D

Fram
2005-Sep-15, 01:44 PM
They're taking over my house ;) (you can take this quite literally)

crosscountry
2005-Sep-15, 01:46 PM
that's scary :O

Ara Pacis
2005-Sep-17, 06:53 AM
How about these title ranks?

New Member: 0-99 posts
Junior Member: 100-499
Senior Member: 500-999
Universal Member: 1000-1499
Bad Member: 1500-1999
Re-Member: 2000-2499
Universally Bad Member: 2500+

Other possibilities for higher posts might be: Bad Master or Master of the Universally Bad.

Wolverine
2005-Sep-17, 07:33 AM
The probability of users securing individual, custom titles is not specifically too great. Since the merge, there have been more pressing priorities anyway (like ensuring functionality and preventing downtime ;)).

cfgauss
2005-Sep-17, 07:41 AM
It might be a nice idea to give people who are really astronomers the title "astronomer" or something like that. Of course, to be fair, crackpots should get the custom title "crackpot." :)

Wolverine
2005-Sep-17, 08:06 AM
It might be a nice idea to give people who are really astronomers the title "astronomer" or something like that. Of course, to be fair, crackpots should get the custom title "crackpot." :)

Neither shall happen.

Ricimer
2005-Sep-17, 11:38 AM
Seeing a little bit more of a gradation between ranks would be nice. Having just the two levels is a little disconcerting at times.

But I also agree that you don't want to many, or make the final one too rigourous of a post count, to help remove the classism aspect.

Btw, somone mentioned "rocket man", so I thought I'd post this link to a fun little video with steven hawking singing rocket man:

Enjoy! (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/157656)

Lianachan
2005-Sep-17, 01:32 PM
I'm not a fan of any kind of ranking system. Quality and quantity are two vastly different things when relating to posting, as well as anything else. If somebody only posts once a month but each post is superbly insightful, it means far more to me than somebody with thousands of posts which are largely inconsequential.

crosscountry
2005-Sep-17, 04:49 PM
Seeing a little bit more of a gradation between ranks would be nice. Having just the two levels is a little disconcerting at times.

But I also agree that you don't want to many, or make the final one too rigourous of a post count, to help remove the classism aspect.

Btw, somone mentioned "rocket man", so I thought I'd post this link to a fun little video with steven hawking singing rocket man:

I'm pretty sure that video is in bad tasted.

Ricimer
2005-Sep-18, 01:15 AM
I don't remember it being in bad taste. I remember an animated vid with Patrick Moore (I think that's him...british royal astronomer with a monacle?) playing the xylophone in space.

Heck, if you think about it, it shows him flying around in space. I'd like to do that. I'll watch it again to double check my recollection.

taurus26
2005-Sep-18, 01:31 AM
What about a popular rating system on each post - somebody better at maths than I could come up with a good formula!

I seen average rating systems on postings at other forums.
Average seems to be about 5.5

umop ap!sdn
2005-Sep-18, 03:26 AM

Did you notice the part where the voice says "no no no number"? :D

Ricimer
2005-Sep-18, 03:53 AM
yeah, cause it really is from a voice synthesizer, the no. means number.

BTW, if people really do find it in bad taste, I'll remove the link.

crosscountry
2005-Sep-18, 02:48 PM
maybe it was just me. I try not to pick on the less fortunate.

I'm probably oversensitive.

cran
2005-Sep-23, 09:16 AM
Lianachan made a fair point about quality vs quantity of posts ...
and it may be reflected in taurus26's suggestion of 'popular vote' ...
or not... (it may be the 'class clown' or the 'local hero' who gets the popular vote)

Just to recap (so that I understand...)
Q1. Do we really need, or do we really want, labels (apart from user-names, avatars, etc; and apart from identifying moderators and administrators)?
Q2. Should labels be assigned or voluntary?
Q3. Should labels be determined by number of posts?;
...by length of membership?;
...by overall quality of contributions? (and who judges that?);
...by 'popularity' of contributions?

Have I missed anything? :think:

"senior member" indeed! makes me feel twice my age! :sad:

taurus26
2005-Oct-09, 01:06 PM
How about these title ranks?

New Member: 0-99 posts
Junior Member: 100-499
Senior Member: 500-999
Universal Member: 1000-1499
Bad Member: 1500-1999
Re-Member: 2000-2499
Universally Bad Member: 2500+

Other possibilities for higher posts might be: Bad Master or Master of the Universally Bad.

My suggestion would be that for those attaining the title of Universally Bad Member that they could have the option of starting again as a New member!

cran
2005-Oct-09, 06:53 PM
You left out:
'honorable member' (never been warned);
'right honorable member' (accurate and never been warned);
'don't remember' (avoids the questions);
'can't remember' (avoids posting);
'dismember' (banned);
'band member' (repeatedly banned).