PDA

View Full Version : More Hits Than Humans

Fraser
2005-Sep-11, 06:28 AM
SUMMARY: Well, just to show how much of an interested there is in space out there, NASA reported that its Mars website passed the 6.3 billion hit mark since its Spirit rover landed on the Red Planet (averaging 135 million a day). Essentially, the same number of hits as people on Earth. Webmasters will roll their eyes when you count web statistics since it's a pretty misleading metric. Just visiting the homepage of Universe Today will generate a few dozen hits when you include all the graphics (for perspective, the site gets 285,000 hits a day). But still, it's a colossal number. Congrats to them. :-)

I've been maintaining Universe Today for nearly five years now (March 22, 2004 will be its fifth anniversary) - it's older than both my kids put together. And although I don't have any hard numbers to provide you, I'm really getting the sense that interest in space and astronomy is starting to take off with the general public. Not since the days of "Cosmos", has space been so cool.

I think we've entered a golden age of astronomy; a time when interest in space and astronomy is matched with incredible technical advances and leaps of understanding. I can't wait to see where this all goes next.

What do you think? Come give me your feedback in the forum.

Fraser Cain
Publisher
Universe Today

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/more_hits_than_humans.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.