PDA

View Full Version : Jim Lovell Jr.

Aodoi
2003-Jan-05, 02:53 AM
Just figured I'd mention that I met (briefly) James Lovell Jr. tonight. My family went to a restaurant in Lake Forest, IL named "Lovell's" which his son (James Lovell III) is the executive chef at. (I think he might also be the owner and various other things, but not sure)

There's lots of fun NASA memorabilia on the walls, most of it signed by various astronauts. Jim Lovell Jr. walked up to each table and introduced himself... it was a nice and pretty unexpected. I knew his son was there regularly, didn't know he was. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

On the way out he was at the bar and my family and I talked to him a little bit. I mentioned badastronomy.com to him, figured he might get a kick out of it here.

In any case, a wonderful meal with a nice suprise at the end. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

(The restaurant is very, very nice... though definately in the price range for special occassions (my mother's b-day today))

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Jan-05, 05:29 AM
Wow, that's great! I'd love to drop by there someday. I talked with him briefly a couple of years ago by phone, but he was not overjoyed to discuss the hoax, even with someone who is most definitely on his side. It's something he feels is beneath his dignity to discuss. My dignity level is much lower than his. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Glom
2003-Jan-05, 08:18 AM
I'd imagine that responding to arrogant, pretentious, paranoid, ignorant conspiracists is far beyond the call of duty for a man who has seen eleven earthrises. I suppose he's also a bit annoyed over having to waste his money and time on that pathetic libel case from the Dark Lord.

Starshark
2003-Jan-05, 11:45 AM
On 2003-01-05 00:29, The Bad Astronomer wrote:
...My dignity level is much lower than his. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

It's probably much easier to have a sense of humour about that sort of thing if you aren't personally involved. If someone told me I'd been a fraud at my job for five years, I'd probably react much the same way as Lovell. But if it happened to my best workmate, I'd probably be laughing from now until PX hits the Earth!

Tuckerfan
2003-Jan-06, 04:19 AM
It's kind of funny, had Lovell achieved his dream and landed on the Moon, he would have been lumped in with the "other guys who walked on the Moon." (And I write that feeling like Arthur Dent saying, "Well, I did just save everybody's life." After all, they did go farther than any human's ever gone and set foot on another world.) Instead, thanks to an accident, which prevented him from landing on the Moon, Lovell's had a major motion picture made based on his experiences (Even Neil Armstrong hasn't had that!), and outside of Buzz Aldrin is probably the most easily recognized of the Apollo astronauts. I wonder what he thinks about it all.

Zandermann
2003-Jan-07, 01:43 AM
Tuckerfan wrote:
It's kind of funny, had Lovell achieved his dream and landed on the Moon, he would have been lumped in with the "other guys who walked on the Moon." ... Instead, thanks to an accident ... [he] is probably [one of] the most easily recognized of the Apollo astronauts. I wonder what he thinks about it all.

my guess: he'd rather have moonwalked!

(welcome to the board, Tuckerfan! Should I mention that I'm a Crosley fan?)

Rodina
2003-Jan-07, 01:47 AM
He's said as much -- that he'd rather have his two days on the Moon and be utterly unrecognized than all the publicity (and money) that has come from his book and the movie.

The scene that always chokes me up in Apollo 13 is watching him imagine his moonwalk when they are coming around the backside of the Moon, with the moon lit up, but still out of radio contact...

kucharek
2003-Jan-07, 09:25 AM
For those who want to dine there...

http://www.lovellsoflakeforest.com/

Harald

Tuckerfan
2003-Jan-07, 07:25 PM
Thanks, Zandermann. Crosley's were neat little cars. Too bad their COBRA engine didn't work as well as they thought it would. It's a shame we never got a chance to give Lovell his opportunity to walk on the Moon. Perhaps if the Chinese get their space program running, we'll be inspired to go back and stay this time.

GrapesOfWrath
2003-Jan-07, 07:40 PM
On 2003-01-07 04:25, kucharek wrote:
For those who want to dine there...

http://www.lovellsoflakeforest.com/

Wow. Make sure you get your picture taken with Lovell in front of the Steeds of Apollo mural (http://www.lovellsoflakeforest.com/space/apollo.htm).