PDA

View Full Version : Audio: The Fate of the Universe

Fraser
2005-Sep-12, 04:09 PM
SUMMARY: How will the Universe end? Right now cosmologists have two equally distressing scenarios mapped out for the long term fate of the Universe. On the one hand, gravity might slow down the expansion of our Universe so that it coasts to a stop and possibly even collapses back down into a Big Crunch. On the other hand, the expansion of the Universe could continue indefinitely thanks to the acceleration of dark energy. We would face a cold, lonely future as other galaxies fade away into the distance. My guest today is Eric Linder from the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and he's proposing experiments that could help us learn which of these two fates await us.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/audio_fate_universe.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

TuTone
2005-Sep-12, 09:41 PM
How did they come up with that theory that the Universe is expanding? Who came up with that theory? I believe the Universe is a really really big sphere, because a lot of objects in the Universe are spherical. I really don't know though, that's just my theory.

ChrisColes
2005-Sep-12, 09:42 PM
And all the present theories are way off beam. Take my word for it.

galacsi
2005-Sep-13, 12:28 PM
Well we can't predict the weather for the next month. We can't predict what this century will be. Can you imagine somebody in 1905 predicting the 20th century ? So what will happen in 1,2,3 .... or any billions years from now ?

I think this interrogation is very futile. excuse me but I cannot care any less.

I like two things in astronomy , the incredible beautifull pictures for the emotion and good observations , good theories build upon hard facts for satisfaction of the reason.

supermc
2005-Sep-19, 12:17 PM
Chris Coles..............on what level of expertease or understanding or outstanding discovery do we take your word for it????????????

supermc
2005-Sep-19, 12:32 PM
galacsi,
We can predict the long term weather beyond all doubt, is the planet warming up right now? YES, this is a known fact, whats not known for sure is why. Peolpe did predict the 20th century in great detail. You realy need to expand your reading and get a broader knowledge before making such inaccurate staements. We have had people in this century who have made incredible predictions that have sine been proven to be fact.
Let me give you a personal long range forecast, there appears to be evidence that in the past the Brazillian rain forrest was an arid desert, Portugal and Spain are having the driest and worst droughts in known history. I predict that this is a hot spot that appears to be ciruling the planet very slowly, a huge amount of the mediteranian coast line will become arid deserts within 5,000 years...........the only FACT is that since 1970 Portugal has lost almost 52% of once green fields to dry desert like vineyards (Olives), not by choice but by natural climatic change. Am i wromg because you say so or am i wrong until it happens AND IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. Sent with a smlie and a friendly wink

LurchGS
2005-Sep-19, 03:12 PM
Well we can't predict the weather for the next month. We can't predict what this century will be. Can you imagine somebody in 1905 predicting the 20th century ? So what will happen in 1,2,3 .... or any billions years from now ?

I think this interrogation is very futile. excuse me but I cannot care any less.

I like two things in astronomy , the incredible beautifull pictures for the emotion and good observations , good theories build upon hard facts for satisfaction of the reason.

I agree with your opinion on the photos, but everything else is wrong.

When talking about the end of the universe ( or the universe-bubble ), the astronomers and cosmologists *are* discussing theories (not hypotheses). They are expressing possibilities based on observed facts. One rarely hears mention of other "possibilities" (at a certain point, the universe-bubble will have expanded so much it will rupture, spilling all the galaxies out into whatever lies beyond. and other such fun concepts)

Also, we *can* predict the weather for the next month - in general terms. In the northern hemisphere, it's pretty darn safe to say that July will be warmer than May. When discussing the fate of the universe, astronomers are talking in the same general terms. They are talking about the system as a whole, not weekend details. Under such restrictions, such a discussion is perfectly valid and should be encouraged.

(Somebody else here points out that global warming is a fact - much as I hate to burst his bubble, it's not - at least, not to the point the panic-mongers would have you believe. When the heat-island effect around cities is taken into consideration, the 'global warming' trend is right along the same curve it has been for the past 20 thousand years - i.e. the natural warming of the planet's ecosystem in its regular cycle. Yes, the cause is unknown, but it's certainly not humans. Yet.)