PDA

View Full Version : Hubble's View of the Boomerang Nebula

Fraser
2005-Sep-13, 07:27 PM
SUMMARY: The Hubble Space Telescope used its Advanced Camera for Surveys to capture this beautiful photograph of the Boomerang Nebula. This cloud of dust and gas has two nearly symmetric cones of material coming out of it. It was created through a process called bipolar outflow, where a dying star ejects material as it spins. It could be that the star is surrounded by a disk of dust, so only the top and bottom material can escape, or a powerful magnetic field is shaping it as it escapes.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/scattered_light_from_boomerang.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

antoniseb
2005-Sep-13, 07:48 PM
Nice picture. It's intersting to see the pile up of material close to the star.

Darth Maestro
2005-Sep-13, 10:33 PM
This photo is absolutly beautiful as the article says. It is really radical for me to visually see such beauty out of such destruction.

downunder
2005-Sep-14, 06:04 AM
What intrigues me is that the deep interior of the nebula is supposed to have a temperature of 1K. I can't understand how it can be cooler than the 2.7K background radiation.

rwinkel
2005-Sep-14, 07:01 AM
How could magnetic fields account for the bipolar shape if the nebula is too cold to be ionized?
And like the guy above says, how did it get so cold? Is this some kind of cosmic refrigeration unit?

Very strange how many bipolar shapes there are among stars, nebula, and galactic cores. There's something fundamental missing in human understanding of this stuff.