PDA

View Full Version : World egg balancing record!

Arneb
2005-Sep-14, 10:41 AM
Take that, woowoos! As reported in a leading German newspaper:

World egg balancing record! (http://www.faz.net/s/Rub9BF84204E5D84361A7A8DCA1C1C9BBBE/Doc%7EE1EEA56207974486A9740631495D87C5A%7EATpl%7EE common%7ESdetail_image%7EAimg%7EE1.html?back=/s/homepage%A7Phtml)

"The figure legend says: "14 September 2005" (sic!!!!): Standing on End - At the Center for Contemporary Art in Melbourne, American Brian Spotts presents 439 eggs he has balanced to stand on their ends - world record!"

This year's autumn equinox, by the way, is on 22 September 22:23 UST :whistle:

Case closed, innit? :lol:

Maha Vailo
2005-Sep-14, 06:31 PM
:lol:

Man, I wonder how long that took. He must have a very gentle touch.

- Maha "eggstrordinary" Vailo

JimTKirk
2005-Sep-14, 06:46 PM
<snip> This year's autumn equinox, by the way, is on 22 September 22:23 UST :whistle:

Case closed, innit? :lol:

[woowoo mode]
You're not fooling me! If he tried that ON the equinox, he would have doubled that number!
[/woowoo mode]

Captain Kidd
2005-Sep-14, 07:32 PM
Ah, but can he balance an egg on an egg?

ElWampa
2005-Sep-15, 11:33 PM
:lol:

Man, I wonder how long that took. He must have a very gentle touch.

- Maha "eggstrordinary" Vailo

Four minutes and two seconds, as per what this story says. =)

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,16601269-5001022,00.html

HenrikOlsen
2005-Sep-16, 10:21 AM
Four minutes and two seconds, as per what this story says. =)

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,16601269-5001022,00.html

That was the record time he got for balancing a dozen eggs, not for the whole lot.

ElWampa
2005-Sep-16, 09:28 PM
That was the record time he got for balancing a dozen eggs, not for the whole lot.

Doh! :wall: That's what I get for scanning the story.

HenrikOlsen
2005-Sep-17, 02:15 AM
I still think the best part of the article is this quote:

Mr Spotts said he started balancing eggs in fifth grade when his brother told him it was an easy thing to do on the Equinox the first day of spring or autumn.

"The day is equal to the night and supposedly the gravity is vertical that day, but it really doesn't make any difference, it doesn't have any effect on the egg," he said.

Ie. he started because of the myth, then found out it IS a myth and kept going anyway.

eggbalancer
2005-Sep-29, 02:17 AM
Yeah, I guess I started balancing eggs on the equinox, then eventually discovered that the day of the year was inconsequential. For awhile, I thought it was still kind of fun to perpetuate the myth, but lately I have taken to trying to dispell it. And as far as it being the Spring vs. Fall equinox, I've broken egg-balancing records in the northern and southern hemispheres, on non-equinoxical (is that a word) days, so I think it's busted.

The entire feat took me about 14 hours, averaging about two minutes per egg. But I balanced a dozen at the end in just over four minutes. And I tried to balance an egg on an already-balanced egg, but was unsuccessful. I think that is my new goal. I am done with the goals that require me laying on my stomach for hours on end. Ouch.

Brian, The Egg Balancer

Candy
2005-Sep-29, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I guess I started balancing eggs on the equinox, then eventually discovered that the day of the year was inconsequential. For awhile, I thought it was still kind of fun to perpetuate the myth, but lately I have taken to trying to dispell it. And as far as it being the Spring vs. Fall equinox, I've broken egg-balancing records in the northern and southern hemispheres, on non-equinoxical (is that a word) days, so I think it's busted.

The entire feat took me about 14 hours, averaging about two minutes per egg. But I balanced a dozen at the end in just over four minutes. And I tried to balance an egg on an already-balanced egg, but was unsuccessful. I think that is my new goal. I am done with the goals that require me laying on my stomach for hours on end. Ouch.

Brian, The Egg Balancer
Congratulations, Brian, The Egg Balancer!

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Sep-30, 04:45 AM
Brian, I got your email, but I've been swamped lately. I've been meaning to update my page with your stuff!

And I will add, a little mischievously, that folks should watch the second episode of "Alias" which I think airs October 6th. A little bird tells me this topic is mentioned...