PDA

View Full Version : Robert Wise

Maksutov
2005-Sep-15, 06:34 AM
Robert Wise has died. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050915/ap_on_en_mo/obit_wise)

Thank you, Mr. Wise, for The Day the Earth Stood Still and a lot of other fine motion pictures.

kucharek
2005-Sep-15, 06:57 AM
Andromeda Strain
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
The Sand Pebbles

BlackStar
2005-Sep-15, 08:44 AM
The Body Snatcher ('45) (w/ Karloff/Lugosi)
The Curse Of The Cat People ('44) (w/ sexy Simone Simon!)
The Desert Rats ('53)
The Haunting ('63)

publiusr
2005-Sep-16, 05:59 PM
Goodbye Robert

fossilnut2
2005-Sep-16, 06:10 PM
What a great movie to have as a legacy!

ocasey3
2005-Sep-18, 01:52 PM
And my favorite movie "The Sound of Music".

Gillianren
2005-Sep-19, 06:58 AM
and West Side Story, which I think is the best movie mentioned so far. (but, of course, that's just my opinion.)

Maksutov
2005-Sep-19, 08:44 AM
Turner Classic Movies has announced a schedule change (http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/MovieNews/Index/0,,104484,00.html) for Friday, September 23rd. They will be running the following movies Robert Wise was involved in. They are:

6:00 AM Citizen Kane (as editor)
8:00 AM The Magnificent Ambersons (as editor)
9:30 AM The Curse of the Cat People (director)
11:00 AM The Body Snatcher (director)
12:30 PM Born to Kill (director)
2:30 PM The Set-Up (director)
4:00 PM Executive Suite (director)
6:00 PM Somebody Up There Likes Me (director)
8:00 PM West Side Story (director/producer)
10:45 PM Run Silent, Run Deep (director)
12:30 AM The Haunting (director/producer)
2:30 AM Odds Against Tomorrow (director/producer)
4:30 AM Blood on the Moon (director)

I'm really looking forward to The Haunting, one of the scariest and subtlest of all time. Why do the overpaid, underIQed Hollywood suits insist on remaking great movies?

All the times are EDT. Uncut and commercial free. Get your DVRs ready.

Jim
2005-Sep-19, 01:45 PM
I'm really looking forward to The Haunting, one of the scariest and subtlest of all time. Why do the overpaid, underIQed Hollywood suits insist on remaking great movies?

Agreed, absolutely fantastic movie, not to be viewed alone in the dark.

As for the suits, they (1) didn't really get it the first time, (2) want to mine that vein one more time, and (3) actually think they can make it "better." Those who cannot create will remake.

These are the same folks who would have the Mona Lisa repainted, only in brighter colors and with a modern hair style and, "For Pete's sake, sweetie, show some teeth in that smile!"

Pip
2005-Sep-20, 06:22 AM
Agreed, absolutely fantastic movie, not to be viewed alone in the dark.

Which is in turn a film best not to be viewed at all. I've never really seen much of Wise's work, although I am one of the 12 people who actually liked Star Trek the Motion Picture.

Inferno
2005-Sep-20, 07:07 AM
I am one of the 12 people who actually liked Star Trek the Motion Picture.

I'm one of those too. Anyone else?

gethen
2005-Sep-20, 01:14 PM

Ditto. I've seen it many times and it still sends chills down my spine. Wise himself, in an interview on NPR in 1989, said that the reason this movie is so scary is that our greatest fear is fear of the unknown. Those slasher movies are not so much scary as shocking.

CJSF
2005-Sep-20, 01:20 PM
I'm one of those too. Anyone else?

Oooh! Oooh! Me! Meee!!!

CJSF

PeterFab
2005-Sep-22, 04:31 PM
Oooh! Oooh! Me! Meee!!!

CJSF

Me too.

Maksutov
2005-Sep-22, 04:42 PM
Which is in turn a film best not to be viewed at all.Wassamatta, can't take it?

I've never really seen much of Wise's work, although I am one of the 12 people who actually liked Star Trek the Motion Picture.Maybe if I see the director's cut version I might change my mind. But as of now, I continue to find it plodding, poorly edited, and a semi-ripoff of 2001.

Funny that the alien computer entity couldn't have wiped off the dust too, and discovered V-GERs true identity. But that's the script writer's fault, not Mr. Wise's