PDA

View Full Version : Technical Journal help

dakini
2005-Sep-15, 09:29 PM
I have to write a paragraph for my inquiry into physics class and it requires three refrences from technical journals (along with a pile of other refrences) and the page my prof gave us with the assignment outline only had two examples of technical journals (physics review a-e and physics review letters) neither of those are working now. Does anybody know of any other technical journals so I can try others?

This isn't due until Monday, but I wanted it mostly done before the weekend.

JohnD
2005-Sep-15, 10:22 PM
Dakini,
I'm no physicist, but most science journals, inc. Physics Reviews A to E deal with a specific area of science. It might help if you were to tell what your assignment is about. Of course, the purpose of your teacher is to help you learn to do literature research, and the best place for that (believe it or not in this electronic age) is a library. Where librarians live. Whose scientific specialty is literature search!

Good luck!
John

dakini
2005-Sep-15, 11:37 PM
Well, my subject is plasma.

And my school gives me access to all sorts of journals online, but I just don't know any names of technical journals so that doesn't really help when it comes to finding them.

I'm not entirely sure how this is going to end up as a one paragraph deal either, here are the sources I'm supposed to have.
1 dictionary refrence
1 general science mag article
2 books
3 technical journal articles
1 additional refrence from any above source less than 3 years old

Enzp
2005-Sep-16, 04:15 AM
type "plasma physics journal" into Google and see what happens.

DO some research, there are other places than the internet with information. Call a physicist and ask for some tech journal titles.

type "physical review letters" into Google and see what happens.

There are plenty of Science magazines out there, Scientific American is on every news stand. Look at the magazine store. Popular Science. Is Discover still around? But beyond the news stand are plenty others like Nature.

Google "science magazine" and see what happens.

You can go to any magazine's web site and look through their archives for what is available.

There are many books on physics and for that matter on plasma. For some titles, look at a science book club, like Scientic American Book CLub, or go to Barnes and Noble or someplace and look over the shelves.

Think of an application for plasma and then look for things relevant to it. Fusion technology comes to mind.

Type "fusion power generation" into Google and see what happens.

Or you could realy mess with them and write a piece about blood plasma.

dakini
2005-Sep-16, 11:49 AM
Scientific American was counted by my prof as a general science magazine.

I suppose I really just need to know what makes a technical journal a technical journal. Is it coverage of one topic exclusively more or less?

Or you could realy mess with them and write a piece about blood plasma.
I somehow don't think that would help my final grade... and I really don't want to test my prof's sense of humour on the first assignment.

Nereid
2005-Sep-16, 12:34 PM
I suppose I really just need to know what makes a technical journal a technical journal. Well, you have two examples already, right? What do you think makes those two 'technical journals'?

What did you find when you googled 'plasma physics journal', as Enzp recommended?

Taks
2005-Sep-16, 04:59 PM
Citeseer (http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/) is a great place to look for journal citations and often, you can DL a copy of the paper itself.

taks