PDA

View Full Version : "New Threads" feature?

Donnie B.
2005-Sep-17, 02:12 PM
The BAUT forum is proving to be a lively and active one. This leads to a bit of a problem, in my opinion.

The "New Posts" feature is great, but as I and others have pointed out, it's pretty overwhelming. I generally see six pages or more (at 20 posts/page) of new posts overnight. It can be daunting to follow threads you're not subscribed to, or even just to identify new threads you might want to follow.

I'd love to see a similar feature, except limited to "New Threads" -- that is, new topics that have been opened since my last visit. That way I could scan the first few posts of each, and if interested, subscribe to the thread.

I've looked around, but haven't found any such capability. Is this something that could feasibly be added? Or is it there and I missed it?

Fraser
2005-Sep-17, 04:04 PM
I'll see if there's a hack at the Vbulletin site. I think that would be pretty cool. Keep in mind that all my UT postings should settle down in a couple of days so the list won't grow so quickly.

You can click on "Quick Links" and then "Mark Forums Read". That'll clear the new posts. I know that's not exactly what you're looking for, but it can clear the list up a bit.

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-06, 08:49 AM
I think the best way to deal with pages and pages of new postings to threads is to differentiate areas that become too popular into perhaps 2 different areas. I would assume that over the years this has already happened and that that is also a very healthy sign, another tangible sign of a growing community.

:)

Josh
2005-Dec-06, 10:18 PM
I think the best way to deal with pages and pages of new postings to threads ...

Which is only magnified by having to sift through your constant bumping of very old and outdated threads! jkmccran, have you read the emails sent to by various moderators regarding this?