PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica (season 2)

Mathiasll
2005-Sep-18, 04:35 PM
So, what does everyone think of this series? I personally reallly love it, last episode rocked... So, what's your opinion? The episode before this one really smelled propaganda big time, or was I wrong...?

Fraser
2005-Sep-18, 05:12 PM
Friday's episode definitely rocked. It was really well written. It was the first one my wife ever watched and I could tell she was intrigued. I guess I need to find some past episodes for her now.

Kemal
2005-Sep-18, 07:56 PM
I like the show it is the only thing on TV I am watching regularly. One thing I do not understand is how only the networked computers can be infiltrated. Also, I think they would have salvaged some of those cylon ships for scrap in the last episode.

Humphrey
2005-Sep-18, 10:29 PM
Absolutely fantastic series. Amazing writing, some genuine plot surprises. And most and above all, none of the characters are perfect. even the suyperhero Starbuck has been toned down alot this season. First rate writing. They deserve a Emmy.

Wayne Clark
2005-Sep-19, 12:41 AM
They deserve a Emmy.
And of course they didn't get any...

http://www.gateworld.net/galactica/news/2005/09/noemmysforigalacticaiscifi.shtml

Battlestar Galactica and The SCI FI Channel came up empty at the 2004-2005 Creative Arts Primetime Emmys, presented last night.

Galactica was nominated twice in the Outstanding Special Effects For A Series category, for the Season One episodes "33" and "The Hand of God." The award went to the team behind the 2-part series premiere of Lost.

They weren't even nominated for any of the Primetime Emmys. :evil:

Anyway, I also liked the episode. The bit with Chief Tyrol in the beginning shows a lot about his character, with him touching and caressing the Viper like he used to with Sharon. It's a personal connection that he feels with his machines. It may not be logical, but it's human.

These last two episodes have given us a good look at the stress the fleet's situation is causing, and how the crew is trying to deal with it. It's very realistic that they're having a difficult time going on every day; it makes them into more real, believable characters. I actually think that that's going to be a serious problem once we start going out into deep space.

I guess I need to find some past episodes for her now.
Season One's coming out on DVD on Tuesday, and the Sci Fi Channel will (I think) be replaying all of the first ten episodes of the season once they take their mid-season break after this week's episode.

Eirik
2005-Sep-20, 07:35 PM
I like the show it is the only thing on TV I am watching regularly. One thing I do not understand is how only the networked computers can be infiltrated. Also, I think they would have salvaged some of those cylon ships for scrap in the last episode.

I think it's that most of the ships computers don't have an external input to infiltrate. Basically, the FTL computer, the life support, fire control, etc, don't have a link of any type to the communications system. The Cylons can't infiltrate these systems remotely because they can't simply broadcast the signal.

What killed most of the ships of the Colonial fleet in the miniseries was that the Cylons knew all about their defense systems (Six, remember, was working with Baltar in the Ministry of Defense) so all they had to do was broadcast a kill command into their systems. Since the computers were all linked, the ship would shut down. You actually see this with Galacticas newer fighers in the miniseries, when they shut down and get destroyed. I recall that Galactica gets a report that Battlestars were getting shut down the same way.

However, if the fighters had isolated systems for propultion, fire control, etc, they would still be able to fight even if some systems were down.

As for salvage, my assistant just asked me about that, too. Why didn't they capture some of the ships that were shut down. My assumption was that they didn't know how long they had before they might come back online, so better safe than sorry. As for salvage of other parts like metals and componants, we don't know that it wasn't done, but sticking around there in order to salvage the whole fleet would be dangerous. Clearly, the Cylons knew where they were and could send more ships.

peter eldergill
2005-Sep-20, 07:40 PM
I intentionally didn't read a single post (except the OP). Season 2 hasn't aired yet in Canada...I'm really looking forward to it (and a new season of Dr. Who!)

Pete

publius
2005-Sep-21, 01:56 AM
All,

The "new" Battlestar Galactica (I think it's about time to stop calling it "new". It is the *the* BSG -- there's no comparison to the original series, cheesy and silly, at least to me now) is the best show on TV as far as I'm concerned (in fact, it was what brought me to this forum, to ask about the "planetarium star map" to earth they found on Kobol). Edward James Olmos absolutely "rocks" as Adama. And Baltar, what can you say. :lol: And I love the Doc Cottle character, but I think he's one best used sparingly.

The mid-season break is coming this Friday, with the "Pegasus" story. There going to have a quite a cliffhanger. From the vibes I've been getting and a few spoilers I've picked up, the Pegasus crew and Ensign Ro cum Admiral Cain (RoCain) are going to have "gone to the dark side", and be pretty despicable. Tricia Helfer is going to play a very different "clone" of the Six model on board the Pegasus -- very different from the sex-Six we're used to.

Ronald D. has said he's going to mess with our heads on which are the good guys and which are the bad guys, and the Pegasus crew is going to start this.

-Richard

Humphrey
2005-Sep-21, 02:29 PM
I listened the the director commentary on the podcast fro the episode with the planitaruim in history. Origonally they had planned that Earth was a strait shot from the 12 colonies to kobol. And once you found Kobol you found earth. The arrow was supposed to show this by having a map of jewels on it. But they decided that it was to easy, so the went with the planetarium setup.

Laurie
2005-Sep-23, 11:12 PM
I am looking forward to this new episode too. Whereas Adama had the "wakeup" from being "let's go kill Cylons" at first to realizing the "ragtag fleet" had to come first. Then having to come to terms with an interim Civilian government as well. This new Admiral did not have this. According to the setup, the Pegasus was in drydock to be outfitted, escaped with part of it's crew gone and a number of civilian workers instead still having to work on it..a la WW2 Yorktown. For all the Pegasus crew knew, IT was the only one left to have anyone from the colonies.

The contention is going to be interesting to say the least.

publius
2005-Sep-24, 12:22 AM
Laurie,

Be prepared. The Pegasus crew and Admiral RoCain are going to make you sick and mad as heck. And we're going to have to wait three months for the resolution! ARRRGGGGHHHHHH.

If Roslin knew what was going to happen, she should immediately promote Adama (the elder of course) to Fleet (5-star) Admiral (or whatever the Colonial equivalent is) so no one will ever outrank him.

Spoiler: She does later, but only after the mess with RoCain and her crew of thugs that starts tonight.

-Richard

Kemal
2005-Sep-24, 03:15 AM
This was a great episode! I always thought it might be possible that others survived the attack. Looks like the crew of the new ship has become pretty brutal, they have lost their humanity. And what a cliffhanger at the end!

Also I wonder what the new Cylon ship will turn out to be?

publius
2005-Sep-24, 04:28 AM
I was not prepared for how intense this episode was going to be. I had surmised the Pegasus crew were going to be a bunch of thugs, and they had been raping "Gina", the Six model they had, but I wasn't prepared for how intense it was going to be. It may have been a little *too* intense -- I'm sure some of the audience was put off by the attempted rape scene with Sharon. It was just too real. Note how Sharon pulled the coat over her head. And the only thing I can say is that thug "Lt. Thorn" died too easy.

I still can't believe how much I was in the moment with Helo and the Chief, there. The writers here are darn good. Last episode they were fighting, and the Chief was the hothead -- now it was the Chief who was calm enough to remind Helo that bashing the pigs yucking it up about the gang rape was the least of their concern -- they need to go right then and save Sharon. I was so in that moment, screaming at them to pick up some guns. They needed them.

Again, the writers are good. I loved how the tables turned on Adama. He was really mad at Roslin and his "children" rebelling against him. Now, he has to do it, and in an even bigger way. The pained, teeth showing look Olmos did when Adama had to make the decision was something else.

And finally, when Baltar is the sanest person onboard, well, you know things have gone pretty far south. :) Note how Baltar's character is changing.
Usually it's Six having to get him to buck up, now he had to buck her up.

There ought to be a law against a cliffhanger like this making us wait 3 months.

-Richard

jt-3d
2005-Sep-24, 06:49 AM
I just realized that I'm reading spoilers from an episode I haven't seen yet. Either I missed one or it's the one that was on tonight. I'm sure not used to not watching reruns.

Ricimer
2005-Sep-24, 07:39 AM
Looking at it from an outsiders point of view, I think Helo and Chief should have phoned the bridge and reported their suspicions. I've got a feeling Adama would have sent some marines in to break it up.

Van Rijn
2005-Sep-24, 09:27 AM
A question on trivia. It has been years since I saw an episode of the original BSG, but when I heard the background noise/engine hum of the Pegasus, it sounded very familiar. I think it sounded like an original BSG Cylon Basestar. Did anyone else notice?

And a possible spoiler question:

This may be a case of mistaken identity, but did the pilot that flew with Apollo look ... familiar?

Ara Pacis
2005-Sep-24, 04:53 PM
Spoiler Speculation

So why didn't Adama get Prez Roslin on the comm and have her command Adm Cain to stand down?

Humphrey
2005-Sep-24, 05:20 PM
I swear it, but didnt the civilian engineer look like one of the cylons from season one? One of the ones the pictured several times talking to Six on Caprica?
Edit: the guy in the middle: http://www.gateworld.net/galactica/s1/graphics/106_07.shtml

But i agree, it was a very, very well written ending. I especially liked the cliffhanger. I wish they told us some things about the pegasus:
-How did the vipers survive? They were the modern version, and thus suceptable to viral attack, what prevented them?
-How did the ships in the dockyard die form a nuke? Galactical was hit dead on by a nuke and anly really, really shaken up, not destroyed. Why did those neukes destroy two batlestars?
-Whats the armament, etc. of Pegasus? How much crew does she have left?

Predictions: (Note these are only predictions and i have never seen the previous series, so i do not know how pegasus plays into that.)

-The second in command for the Pegasus will not give the order to fire. Before Cain can shoot him, Rosalin will go on the radio. Admiral Cain will step down the attack on the Galactica after Rosalin orders her to.

-The pegasus will lead the assault into the cylon armada with many of her fighters. All of the pegasus's extra crew, armament (including a few more nukes), ships, pilots, etc will be put onboard the fleet for safe keeping. This will solve the ships, weapons, and pilot problem for galactica,

-The pegasus will destroy the two basestars, and severely damage herself in the process. The Blackbird while this is going on will plant on of the Pegasus's nukes onboard the giant ship.

-The giant cylon ship will be the recieving array for the conciousnesses of the cylon humans. AFter this is destroyed all future cylon humans will not be able to upload their conciousnesses.

-the combined crew of the Pegasus and Galactica onboard the fleet will now indroduce all remaining types of cylons of the 12 (or was it 13?) models.

Kemal
2005-Sep-24, 11:08 PM
-The giant cylon ship will be the recieving array for the conciousnesses of the cylon humans. AFter this is destroyed all future cylon humans will not be able to upload their conciousnesses.

That's a really good idea! I've been wondering what this huge ship is they're hinting at.

publius
2005-Sep-25, 12:40 AM
Humphrey,

I think it's just coincidence the Pegaus crew chief/engineer looks like that Cylon, whose name (or the name of the copy we were first introduced to) is "Doral", not sure of the spelling, otherwise known as "Leisure Suit Larry". :) With "Xena", whatever her character's name is, that brings the total to 6 known models, 3 males and 3 females. I think the ratio will remain 1:1. Six was the source that there were just 12 models, but there may indeed be a 13th who is special somehow, playing on the 12 + 1 theme. I think they will go slowly with revealing the remaining 6, just to drag it out. We probably won't see more than one new one until Season 3, which I understand has been given the nod, although Sci-Fi hasn't officially announced it.

About how the Pegasus survived (don't worry about the original series -- the only thing they have in common is the basic theme, plus the proper names), I picked up some vibes from the scene with Adama and Roslin that all was not really as Cain presented it. I think it will turn out she did something awful, maybe even cowardly and we'll learn this in January.

Which brings us back to the Pegasus Chief, who said he was an aero engineer drafted by Cain into service. He mentioned he was on board some ship. I think it will turn out Cain did have her own little "rag tag fleet" of civillians, but rather than protect them, she just took what she found useful, then abandoned them. Or worse.

I'm sure Roslin will come in on the radio, once she learns what's happening. This may happen in the first few seconds of the next episode. But Cain is not going to take orders from her. Her contempt for Roslin was evident. In the podcast, Moore said they had to cut a lot, and one deleted scene was between Roslin and Cain which showed Cain had no respect for her.

Fisk is a different story. Last night, I was so overwhelmed with the Sharon and Gina parts, I missed a lot of the other hints and suggestions. I think that some (maybe many) on the Pegasus are still good, but they are kept in sheer terror by Cain and the thug contingent. That scene between Tigh and Fisk went to this, the way Fisk laughed insanely. I think the Pegasus chew chief fits into the terrorized crazy mode as well. The good guys are demoralized, but now they've found Galactica.

Anyway, I think Roslin will come on and order Cain to stand down. She'll refuse, but Roslin will give Fisk the authority and backbone to stand up to Cain and refuse her orders. That will be tense.

Big Spoiler to follow. Don't read if you don't want to know!!!:

I know for sure that Cain is killed. And it is *Gina* who does it. How that will play out, I don't know, but I'm sure Baltar will play a big part. Remember he's on the Pegasus with Gina right now when the standoff started.

It may be that, per Roslin's order and Fisk's actions, Cain is arrested and thrown in the brig (running a gang-rape ship is more than enough right then and there for Cain to be arrested). Remember, we don't know how much Adama and Roslin have learned of this yet. Cain wasn't telling Adama anything, sending the Thorn thug in without Adama's knowledge.

I agree that the "resurrection ship" will have something to do with the Cylon consciousness transfer. However, the title may have double meaning, too. The Pegasus, under Cain and the thugs, has pretty much "died". After it's over, she may "rise from the dead" with the good members of the crew regaining their humanity.

I only hope Ron Moore gives me the sastisfaction of watching that "Yee Haw" boy die in some befitting way. :clap:

-RIchard

Hokie
2005-Sep-25, 01:24 AM
I wonder how the cylons transmit there consciousnesses when they die. If I remember correctly the autopsy on the human cylons showed nothing to give them away. What part could act as a transmitter?

jrkeller
2005-Sep-25, 06:19 AM
Spoiler Speculation
So why didn't Adama get Prez Roslin on the comm and have her command Adm Cain to stand down?

I thought she should promote him to a position like fleet admiral

Ricimer
2005-Sep-25, 07:00 AM
I think one thing the writers may want to show is that Baltar did the study...and he may not know anatomy that well. So if the actual doctor takes a look at it, he may go...geesh! Look at the shape of those vertebrae! or notice other such odd features, like whatever allows Sharon to interface with fiber optics.

Matherly
2005-Sep-25, 01:16 PM
With "Xena", whatever her character's name is, that brings the total to 6 known models, 3 males and 3 females.

You forgot Centurions and Raiders (which are genderless), so that brings the number of models to 8 with 3 males 3 females.

Humphrey
2005-Sep-25, 02:02 PM
Raders i will give you becasue they are abviously part biological. Basestars too. They are still probobly not part of the 12, but you never know.
But Centurions are 100% mechine and i do not feel should count.

So we have Female: Sharon, Six, Xena lady
Male: Doctor on Caprica, the shifty guy they found in the wepon resuply base (and tortured on Galactica), and the guy they showed on Caprica. Am i missing anyone?

Humphrey
2005-Sep-25, 02:10 PM
It may be that, per Roslin's order and Fisk's actions, Cain is arrested and thrown in the brig (running a gang-rape ship is more than enough right then and there for Cain to be arrested). Remember, we don't know how much Adama and Roslin have learned of this yet. Cain wasn't telling Adama anything, sending the Thorn thug in without Adama's knowledge.

Remeber that Galactica also tortured and killed their own origonal Cylon prisoner. So they are not as innocent. The Pegasus just happened to get a woman and kept her alive to do really bad things to her. Unexcusable that she would allow it to go on for so long, but not entirely unacceptable since Galactica went nearly as far.

In addition to what you said above about the Pegasus having her own ragtag fleet, i would not be surprised. She probobly is guilty of canibalizing and absorbing the crews of any colonial ship she comes to encounter. Taking their resources, crews, and then destroying their ships so she will not be slowed down. If this is true, they probobly were hunting the Galactica for its resources hoping to catch it unaware, and did not realzie how large of a fleet the Galactica had pulled together.

Finally i agree on the perplexing bit about biology. Its obvious they have MR and x ray technology. And its obvious that the cylon humnas are not exactly like humans. They can attachfiberoptics to their own bodies. They somehow have a gizmo in them that can send a conciousness throught a ship to their transponder (remeber that each cylon human has a white discus shaped transponder to send out their conciousness). Not to mention their backbones light up during...umm..intense moments of excitement. So why can't they just scan every person on the ship witht the MRI and see what comes up.

Kesh
2005-Sep-25, 06:01 PM
Apparently there was a scene cut that basically had Adm. Cain telling the President that she does not recognize her authority. As far as Cain is concerned, the civillian government no longer exists and the colonial survivors are under military authority.

In that vein, any promotion the President may give to Adama would not have been recognized, so it would have been pointless.

Humots
2005-Sep-25, 07:32 PM
Very good episode. Very intense.

Remeber that Galactica also tortured and killed their own origonal Cylon prisoner. So they are not as innocent. The Pegasus just happened to get a woman and kept her alive to do really bad things to her. Unexcusable that she would allow it to go on for so long, but not entirely unacceptable since Galactica went nearly as far.

In addition to what you said above about the Pegasus having her own ragtag fleet, i would not be surprised. She probobly is guilty of canibalizing and absorbing the crews of any colonial ship she comes to encounter. Taking their resources, crews, and then destroying their ships so she will not be slowed down. If this is true, they probobly were hunting the Galactica for its resources hoping to catch it unaware, and did not realzie how large of a fleet the Galactica had pulled together.

I agree that Galactica went too far, but not "nearly as far". Pegasus Six has not just been severely roughed up to get information (where's the bomb?). She's been systematically tortured, starved and gang-raped. That the Pegasus crew are capable of such extremes, and are ready to use them on Sharon, is utterly chilling.

I wonder if the unidentified ship will turn out to be a captured colonial ship? There are two colonial ships listed on the BSG site

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/ships/ships

that we haven't seen yet. It would explain why Sharon didn't recognize the ship.

I agree: Cain will likely have some skeletons in her own closet. Maybe she feels she deserted under fire (or actually did!) and is now fanatically trying to atone, even to killing her crew and sacrificing civilians. Perhaps she believes she can somehow defeat the Cylons alone.

Adama is more flexable. He realizes that if he had taken the strict military route, as Cain has, not only would he and Galactica be gone, but so would what's left of humanity.

publius
2005-Sep-26, 02:03 AM
You forgot Centurions and Raiders (which are genderless), so that brings the number of models to 8 with 3 males 3 females.

The way I've understood it, the "12 models" applies only to the humanoid/android versions, and not all the other "hardware". As Humphrey mentioned, we get the distinct sense that the centuarians are pure mechanical, pure machine, while the raiders and basestars have been shown to have a biological/organic component, sort of cybernetic. So the raiders and basestars are "alive" in some sense. I don't know the level of the basestars, but I think it's been established that while "alive", the raiders are not fully sentient like the human-like models. The "humalons" seem to view the raiders sort of like "pets", or maybe horses and beasts of burden would be a better way to describe it. The basestars may just be much larger "animals" like this.

There was one scene were the original Boomer Sharon, the one who shot Adama and is dead now, sort of petted the captured raider like a pet, not knowing really what she was doing. That was her secret sleeper Cylon side coming out. From this we get the sense that Cylon sleepers don't know they're Cylons at all. Their "cover programming" thinks it is real and is unaware of the actual Cylon programming, which sort of "runs in the background", but can apparently take over.

Now about how all this stuff is supposed to work. Moore has said he not going to get into the Star Trek physics babble way of explaining how stuff works. You know, the "remodulate the phase variance on the deflector dish's primary subspace disgrontificator" type of talk. None of that, and I like it.

So I think the idea is we just accept that stuff works the way it does for purposes of the story, and not try to read too much into the details of how it works, because that is not going to be important to the story.

So what we can take from the scene where Sharon "mainlined" the fiber optic cable, is that the "humalons", while they are very much human-like, apparently with nearly identical anatomy, nonetheless have a definte "organic computer" component that can somehow interface with other "traditional" hardware. And not worry too much about the details. :)

-Richard

publius
2005-Sep-26, 02:32 AM
Now about the torture and worse, and the Galacticans vs the Pegausians. This is something the writers have been hitting us with the whole time, and with the Pegasus, it has come to a head.

The frame to consider this was given right in the episode with the scene between Adama and Tigh, the "context" business.

We got a little squeamish in the first season where Starbuck and her marines roughed up the "Leoban" cylon pretty good, then, in a nice twist, "lovable Mom", Roslin herself, threw him out the airlock. Then, this season, there was the scene where Tigh beat up the assasin Boomer pretty good after she shot Adama, and he almost shot her. Then in the "Jack Ruby" scene, they were marching her out and all the Galactica crew were hissing and taunting her.

And then, they've been making us uncomfortable with how the Galacticans have been treating "our" Sharon, the "good" Sharon, bringing her to the CIC with with a pole on a collar and all that stuff. With Leoban, we didn't sympathize with him at all, but we worried they were being a little too rough and mean. But with "our" Sharon, we are very sympathetic, and have a much lower tolerance.

However, all that is nothing compared to what the Pegasus is doing. You kill the enemy who trying to kill you. And if and enemy (or plain criminal/bad guy) has done something despicable, you don't mind "roughing him up" some, although you do debate on how much roughing up is acceptable. And if one of the same bad guys has knowledge about some bomb or whatever that is going to kill people, you don't mind roughing him up if necessary to get the information out, but you still get squeamish about it.

So far, this has been the "context". Have "our people" gone too far. But the "context" of the Pegasus is entirely different. There is absolutely no justification for rape, or torture just for sadistic pleasure. It's very different to beat someone up in anger who has done something terrible, than to beat someone up just for the fun of it and to subjugate them. And I think the Pegasus is supposed to be some sort of distorted mirror for the Galactica to show them what they could become if they do go too far in their own "context". We hope they will look in the mirror and say, nope we're not going to go there, and start cleaning up their own act a bit.

Edit: Something I didn't catch the first time I watched, but it is very important to the above question: Adama referred to Sharon as "she" this time rather than "it", as he had been. In the scene where he informed Cain they had a Cylon prisoner aboard he said, "She has been very helpful", or something like that.

-Richard

Ricimer
2005-Sep-26, 06:32 AM
I don't want technobabble either. But they need to address it a bit just for consistency. Instead of "radiation" being the key to cylon detection, they could have just said: minor chemistry differences, but not easy to do large scale tests with the equipment we have. Say an excess of a specific isotope.

As for the rest of it, when they ask Baltar (or whoever) how they manage to do something...They could answer: I'm not exactly sure...heck I don't have a clue. Do you know how to make a biological machine? I don't either. And leave it at that.

They may throw us a bone though. For example Sharon interfacing with the computer: Baltars response if asked how she did it: Well, nerves are electrical systems, so she must have some organ that converts light to nerve impulses, and vice versa...which isn't hard to imagine, the eye does that one way already. And leave it. Maybe have them do some X-rays of her arm and remind people Baltar isn't a Medical Doctor (he's falling a bit to much into the "omniscient scientist" role IMO).

Technobabble...not really. But something that makes the writers think a bit, and the audience just nod sagely.

randycat99
2005-Sep-28, 05:11 AM
Now about the torture and worse, and the Galacticans vs the Pegausians. This is something the writers have been hitting us with the whole time, and with the Pegasus, it has come to a head...

WOW!!! That post blew my mind up! ;) ...especially the twisted mirror analogy!

Oh, I forgot to ask- when does the next season start? C'mon, couldn't Sci-Fi channel give some heads-up after dropping that finale on us? No teaser scenes for next season?

Egarim
2005-Sep-28, 06:29 AM
The second part of Season2 starts in January :wall:

publius
2005-Sep-29, 12:00 AM
I know, January makes me want to bang my head up against the wall as well. I don't have a 2006 calendar to check the day of the week, but I think I read Jan 10th. And they are keeping details of what happens very close to the vest as well. The only thing we know is the title, "Resurrection Ship", and that one spoiler I posted. They are some spoilers on the plots for the next few episodes up to 2-14 (but I won't mention any -- if you're interested, you can find them. :) ) I think they've finished filming 1-14. If I've got it right it, season 2 is 20 episodes, so we get 10 more.

One sort of thematic hint: Apparently one of the big tenents of Colonial religion and mysticism, which the Cylons apparently believe and carry even further is, "All of this has happened before, and it will happen again". History is prophecy, and there is some sort of reincarnation where the same souls star in the same drama over and over again, but play different parts each time around. This happens on the big scale of Colonial history.

It hit me this is the game the writers are playing. Something happens in one episode, and they do the same thing later but with the characters playing different roles. Examples: Apollo rebels against the elder Adama. Now, Adama has to rebel against Cain. In the episode "Fragged", on Kobol, a Lt. looses his head and has to be, well, "fragged" (but Baltar saved the Chief from having to do it himself). Now, it looks like our lovely Cain needs a fraggin' as well.

"History is prophecy" seems to be the writers' game here, and if we keep this in mind, we can figure out what may happen..........

-Richard

nebularain
2005-Sep-29, 01:08 PM
So we have . . . Male: . . . and the guy they showed on Caprica.
Hi, Humphrey!

(I know, long time, no see - huh?)

Anyway - this third male you mentioned was ironically Baltar's "scapegoat" - a man from Roslin's party who got on Baltar's nerves, so he created an excuse to i.d. him as a Cylon in order to expose a Cylon device of Galactica that Six had pointed out to him.

It was a clever twist at the end of the miniseries to show that he indeed was a Cylon!

gethen
2005-Sep-29, 01:51 PM
Nebularain? Where have you been? I was delighted to see your name on this thread!

publius
2005-Sep-30, 12:45 AM
I just read this on another board, and it was so good, I'll post it here. The best choice to have played Admiral Caine (I think they spell it with an 'e' on the end from what I've seen) would've been..............Christopher Walken. :lol:

He could've played Caine much better than Ensign Ro drunk. Heck, they could've just given him the basic plot and let him ad-lib the lines. Just imagine him saying the same lines as Michelle Forbes.........now that would've been a performance.

-Richard

ToSeek
2005-Sep-30, 01:23 AM
The only problem with that is that you know any character Walken plays is going to be sleazy - having an attractive woman turn out to be a sadistic tyrant is more interesting (though I have to say I didn't like the casting, either, if only because Forbes looks way too young to have made admiral already.)

publius
2005-Sep-30, 01:58 AM
She is way too young to be really believable as an admiral. They tried to explain this in a deleted scene between Adama and someone, either Tigh or Roslin, where they were talking about Caine's background. She was supposed to be a hard charger type who leap-frogged over many more senior officers on her way to the top. This gives more insight into the character.

I just read they are going to release the first half of Season 2 on a DVD set for Christmas in December. They are going to put the full "director's cut" version of "Pegasus" on it, which is *90 minutes long*, and that's without commercials, too. This cliffhanger should've been two hours broadcast anyway, and it looks like it really was, but they had to cut it down.

-Richard

nebularain
2005-Sep-30, 10:57 AM
Hey, gethen!

I've been too involved with other things. :(
School being the biggest.

I'm also having health issues (autoimmune) that are making me very, very tired, so it takes me two-three times as long to get antything done, pushing me farther and farther behind in all the things I need to get done. . . .

Waaah! (Where's the emoticons? I need a cry-face!)

I do miss spending hours in here - and I miss you all!

nebularain
2005-Sep-30, 10:58 AM
90 minutes without commercials?
Woah!

publius
2005-Sep-30, 10:44 PM
Nebularain,

Autoimmune? It's not rheumatoid arthritis is it? I can tell you all about that. :mad: The tiredness is something else.

-Richard

nebularain
2005-Oct-01, 01:40 PM
Yes - it is one of my problems. :(

Darasen
2005-Oct-03, 12:42 AM
I have yet to watch the season ender, though I have it recoreded.
I must say though that the episode previous to it was one of the worse of the serires I have seen plot wise.
It was very Next gebneration-esque, Starts with an exploding control panel thee is a PC issue so they reboot while the local whiz ( in this case Sharon) beams the virus to the bad guys. Very Hohum I thought.

randycat99
2005-Oct-03, 01:46 AM
I thought they were just issuing the obligatory cautionary tale to always secure your home wireless networks... ;)

vonmazur
2005-Oct-03, 09:56 PM
Has anyone noticed the Cobol Zodiac episode?? Antares was a big nebula of some sort, so is this in the past or future??? I expect that the Cylons will beat the Humans to Earth and then the Colonials will find that the Cylons are welcomed as some sort of religious figures, (I don't want wax too religious, but the Cylons are Monotheistic and the Colonials are Polytheistic......) I guess the Cylons could fit right into some current religious systems, the worshipers of Artemis are not going to be welcomed in the Bible Belt or in Saudi Arabia this week.....(maybe after the war they might....)

Dale in Ala

Kemal
2005-Oct-04, 12:55 PM
It has to be the future, remember how he calls the Crab Nebula Messier object 8? No other explanation

Dave Mitsky
2005-Oct-04, 01:33 PM
It has to be the future, remember how he calls the Crab Nebula Messier object 8? No other explanation

The Crab Nebula (M1) was actually the first object that Charles Messier catalogued.

http://www.seds.org/messier/m/m001.html

Dave Mitsky

Kemal
2005-Oct-05, 03:01 AM
Oops, I meant Lagoon nebula. Sorry about that. Please don't put me out the airlock for such an amateurish mistake.

vonmazur
2005-Oct-05, 05:18 PM
Airlock; not even, two hours with Dr. Balzac talking to his imaginary girl friend....

Dale