PDA

View Full Version : I'm a bit of a masochist

Glom
2005-Sep-18, 04:39 PM
I just had this urge to pull out the video with 'Fair Haven' [VOY] and actually watch. Why? Because I know it's an absolutely terrible episode that I've never watched all the way through and I wanted to watch something really, really bad.

This review (http://www.cynicscorner.org/voy_6/voy_611.html) also helped to make me think this is a good episode to watch if you want something really, really bad.

Glom
2005-Sep-18, 04:44 PM
Cringe! Cringe! Cringe!

Tobin Dax
2005-Sep-19, 03:52 AM
You certainly are. "Timeless" is about the only VOY ep I bother to watch on occasion. Time travel, Captain Geordi, and the ship/crew plunging to their deaths make it worth it. :D

"Fair Haven"??? You deserve the repercussions.

GDwarf
2005-Sep-19, 10:57 AM
Am I the only person who actually liked Voyager? It reminds me of TOS quite a bit. I'll admit that there were bad episodes (Finale, anyone?) but all in all I liked it alot.

Phoenix Feet
2005-Sep-19, 11:03 AM
I liked Voyager too, but it's probably because it was my first exposure to Star Trek.

What's happening with Trek now? Is it dead?

gopher65
2005-Sep-19, 12:50 PM
I liked Voyager:). IMO there was 1 (count it, one) good episode in the first 3 seasons. I liked most of season 4,5,6, and didn't like most of season 7.

As I understand it, paramount has said they will give Star Trek at least a 2 year break before considering the development of yet another spinoff series. I've heard rumors that the guy who made babolyn 5 might have something to do with it (if it even happens), but those are just rumors. Nothing concrete yet.

SeanF
2005-Sep-19, 02:15 PM
I liked Voyager:). IMO there was 1 (count it, one) good episode in the first 3 seasons.
Here, now! You can't make a statement like that and not tell us what that one epsiode was! :)

Glom
2005-Sep-19, 06:29 PM
How's this for technocrapple of the week? 'Day of Honour' [VOY]. Torres and Paris are stranded in space after their shuttle blows up and lacking communications to talk to Voyager. They both start talking in slow motion for some inexplicable reason that only the director's drug baron understands. Then Paris suggests a way to contact Voyager, which goes something along the lines of "If we interplex our suits' comm system, we might be able to send out a phase carrier wave."

What the freakin' hell is a "phase carrier wave" supposed to mean? There's nothing tricky about sending out a carrier wave. It's just a sine wave. The only tricky bit is getting the power, but Paris doesn't mention that. I suppose the solution is in the "interplexing". But this business about "phase"; what is it?

GDwarf
2005-Sep-19, 09:21 PM
How's this for technocrapple of the week? 'Day of Honour' [VOY]. Torres and Paris are stranded in space after their shuttle blows up and lacking communications to talk to Voyager. They both start talking in slow motion for some inexplicable reason that only the director's drug baron understands. Then Paris suggests a way to contact Voyager, which goes something along the lines of "If we interplex our suits' comm system, we might be able to send out a phase carrier wave."

What the freakin' hell is a "phase carrier wave" supposed to mean? There's nothing tricky about sending out a carrier wave. It's just a sine wave. The only tricky bit is getting the power, but Paris doesn't mention that. I suppose the solution is in the "interplexing". But this business about "phase"; what is it?
A plot device. Star Trek has used them since it started. TOS is full of devices that wouldn't work, Time Travel whenever they felt like it etc. For some reason Voyager isn't allowed to invent techno-babble though, which is a much smaller offence then denying the laws of physics because the plot calls for it (Well, Voyager did that too, but only in ways that all Star Trek series do.)

Phoenix Feet
2005-Sep-20, 04:39 AM
Techno-babble is also the reason the Federation would beat the Empire. It get's you out of any sticky spot.

:)