PDA

View Full Version : Open letter to the BA

royckay
2005-Sep-20, 12:09 PM
Being a new LX200gps 8" owner, and also being a nyophyte observer, it was a great joy to receive a copy of Night Sky magazine from the dealer I purchased from. (skies unlimited) Can I say that in here ?

After reading many issues of Sky and Telescope, and most of time being confused by all the techo jargon, was I surprised to read an article entitled "To Infinity and Beyond"

I was amazed how easily I could follow the logic of what I was reading. Now I am not 9 years old (I am 54) but I do not have the background that would qualify me as even a novice astronomer. Most of the postings on this board are just about up to my neck in confusing and even more confusing "speak".But I read them all anyway in order to learn about what I am enjoying so very much.

At the end of the article I was surprised to find the name of the author. YOU!!Well I just wanted to say thank you for such a great explanation of space presented in a way that even I could understand the expansion and shape of our universe. If I had a teacher like you that could explain in easy to understand terms what is difficult to understand, there is no telling what I would know by now.

Again thank you,and I really am looking forward to reading more of your simplified science writings to help me gain the knowledge I am seeking.

OH, I first heard about you when I was listening to a George Noory show one night. It was then that I found your BBS and joined.

Thanks again,

Roy

LawBeefaroni
2005-Sep-20, 05:35 PM
There are some excellent short articles at the Bad Astronomy site here (http://www.badastronomy.com/bitesize/pantry.html). And of course lots of other great stuff elsewhere at the same site.

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Sep-21, 07:29 PM
Wow, royckay, thanks! I'm glad you liked the article. My editor and I went back and forth on it for a while; the pains of limited space in a magazine. :-)

Anyway, welcome to the board. I hope you like it here. There are lots of other folks here who can explain things pretty well, too. :-)