PDA

View Full Version : Wide Image of the Virgo Cluster of Galaxies

Fraser
2005-Sep-20, 03:09 PM
SUMMARY: Astronomers from Case Western Reserve University have created the deepest, wide-view image of the Virgo Cluster of galaxies, which shows the faint web of starlight that connects the different galaxies together. The image was built up over the course of 14 moonless nights using the newly refurbished 24-inch Burrell Schmidt telescope at the Kitt Peak National Observatory in Arizona. This web of stars is evidence of the violent collisions that galaxies go through as they merge together to form larger galaxies.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/virgo_cluster_galaxies.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

Andromeda321
2005-Sep-20, 03:40 PM
*gasp*
Hey guys, this is what I work on in my spare time! Basically I'm the one who goes through and catalogs everything in that picture, meaning the little star tendrils that haven't really been seen before and need to be officially noted. :cool:

mcpayne
2005-Sep-20, 11:29 PM
Can someone confirm that the black spots in this photo are actually stars in our galaxy that have been blocked out?

Thanks
Martin

Andromeda321
2005-Sep-21, 01:35 AM
They're stars, I promise. They're easy to confuse with the rest of the image if you don't know what's a galaxy and what isn't, which is why they're not in there.

Greg
2005-Sep-22, 09:49 PM
A beautiful picture of a chaotic place. The temperatures of gas in the interstellar/intergalactic medium inside these superclusters can be heated to millions of degrees. This would ionize it and prevent further star formation so what you would see is a bunch of old stars and alot of hot gas. Not exactly a hospitable locale. I am glad our galaxy is safely in a distant suburb of the Virgo cluster. What would happen to it and possibly us if we were drawn in towards the center would not be pretty.