PDA

View Full Version : Neutrinos

GENIUS'02
2002-Jan-02, 10:07 AM
just a quickie, i read in august's issue of discover about a research centre for study of neutrinos. they were planning to create neutrinos from ionised hydrogen atom's or protons. does anyone have any recent information on this. sorry i can't give too much information about the centre as i seem to have misplaced that issue of discover. replies are much apreciated in advance.
thanks.

Hale_Bopp
2002-Jan-03, 01:17 AM
The story you are looking for can be found online at

http://www.discover.com/aug_01/featneutrino.html

Rob

Hale_Bopp
2002-Jan-03, 01:33 AM
I just read the article. I am more familiar with the NuMI (Neutrinos at the Main Injector) at Fermilab. It will use a slightly different approach to the problem, but the idea is similar. Send a neutrino beam to an abandoned mine in Minnesota and look for neutrinos changing flavor. You can see their web page at http://www-numi.fnal.gov:8875/

A couple of weeks ago, I got to see the detector they are standing in front of in the collaboration photo. Impressively large, as most particle physics detectors are.

They are building the experiment right now. Interesting side note : They have to do some blasting for the tunnels. Someone decided that about 10am on September 11th would be a good time to blast. Imagine sitting there watching the WTC collapse, and all of a sudden you hear and explosion and your building shakes!

Rob

ljbrs
2002-Jan-03, 02:01 AM
The main problem was a deficiency in electron neutrinos being recorded as having been produced by the Sun.

Neutrinos have already been observed (for a number of years) to have mass (that is, the neutrinos have shown a difference in mass, because of observed oscillation, which meant that at least one "flavor" of neutrino (electron neutrino, muon neutrino, or tau neutrino) has an infinitesimal amount of mass, if not all "flavors" of neutrinos. They had not been able to determine which neutrinos had mass, only that one "flavor" had mass. Recently, at Sudbury in Canada, neutrino scientists have caught up with individual neutrinos. Stay tuned. The neutrino is a very, very tiny particle and very, very difficult to detect.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ljbrs
2002-Jan-03, 02:06 AM
Hale_Bopp:

Thank you for the excellent information and for the link (which I have saved). I have been watching this development progress for many years and have found neutrino science very exciting.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

GENIUS'02
2002-Jan-03, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the information i've been looking for a long time on this topic but never seemed to get any new information but now i have.