PDA

View Full Version : Serenity

Alasdhair
2005-Sep-22, 11:43 AM
Saw a preview of this, the other day, and I'll likely go see it again when it makes general release:-)

It's an excellent extension to the Firefly world, combining enough new stuff and resolution for fans with enough background for newcomers in a package that's fresh for everyone.

Go see

parallaxicality
2005-Sep-22, 12:36 PM
Do they explain that eternal bug of whether or not the story is set in many small solar systems or one big one?

Donnie B.
2005-Sep-22, 12:48 PM
My understanding is that it's one big one. Many of the inhabited "planets" are actually moons of gas giants. At least one world was described as a moon in an original episode.

What's less clear is how humans got from "Earth that was" to this new system in the relatively short time between the present and the setting of Firefly, without leaving any remnant interstellar capability. Theories abound (e.g. one-use wormholes, starships with suspended animation but they didn't count the time asleep, etc.).

I've seen a quote from Joss Whedon that the Fireflyverse does not have FTL travel.

Alasdhair
2005-Sep-22, 10:11 PM
It's not terribly clear: some graphics from the Institute scenes show a single solar system, maps on the ship look more like galactic scale star maps...