PDA

View Full Version : The end is Nigh!

dakini
2005-Sep-23, 07:00 AM
http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/science/6150

We could almost make a game of "spot the glaring error" here. I can't believe anyone would buy into this, I suppose the tabloids really don't have anything interesting to talk about so improbable and highly inacurate doomsday prophesies is all they've got left.

I wish I could find the online version of the one I saw in store though, where the moon was going to smash into the earth.

HenrikOlsen
2005-Sep-23, 07:10 AM
The story I'd rather prefer people to believe from that edition is the "GALS WHO GO TOPLESS LIVE LONGER" one. :)

parallaxicality
2005-Sep-23, 07:33 AM
Weekly World News is like the Onion. It's parody. Don't take it seriously.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Sep-23, 08:16 AM
The story I'd rather prefer people to believe from that edition is the "GALS WHO GO TOPLESS LIVE LONGER" one. :)
WHAT???

They Don't ...

Darn!

:liar:

dakini
2005-Sep-23, 11:37 AM
Weekly World News is like the Onion. It's parody. Don't take it seriously.
I don't.

Some people on other forums were concerned though...

parallaxicality
2005-Sep-23, 03:29 PM
No; what I meant was, don't think they take themselves seriously. WWN is a joke. A deliberate joke. No one is SUPPOSED to take them seriously.

dakini
2005-Sep-23, 07:07 PM
Ah..

I'm usually not sure whether things like that are supposed to be jokes anymore.

I mean, it's like the occasional music video you see where it's so terrible you have to wonder whether it's supposed to be a parody of something else (perhaps itself) or whether the band really thinks they'll be taken seriously for that.

tbm
2005-Sep-23, 10:34 PM
No; what I meant was, don't think they take themselves seriously. WWN is a joke. A deliberate joke. No one is SUPPOSED to take them seriously.

Greetings.

Aye, but the rub is, MANY people tend to take things in print, including this type of tripe, very seriously. Well, maybe not that many, but enough to prove there is one of those type of people born every minute.

Regards, tbm

worzel
2005-Sep-24, 12:20 AM
You can't be serious. "It's been suspected for centuries, but a team of world-renowned scientists has finally confirmed it: Lawyers and leeches have identical genetic makeup." Criticising parody like this is taking critical thinking a bit too far IMO - unless, of course, I'm just being thick and the critiques are ironic ;)

Van Rijn
2005-Sep-24, 07:12 AM
You can't be serious. "It's been suspected for centuries, but a team of world-renowned scientists has finally confirmed it: Lawyers and leeches have identical genetic makeup." Criticising parody like this is taking critical thinking a bit too far IMO - unless, of course, I'm just being thick and the critiques are ironic

You're going to have to point out the technical error in that one. Maybe I'm dense, but I just don't see it.

Thinking ... Thinking ...

Oh, wait! I have it! We didn't know about genetics for centuries.

Knowing this place somebody is going to get picky and mention Mendel. By the way, can anyone see this text without highlighting or quoting it?

Maksutov
2005-Sep-24, 10:19 AM
You're going to have to point out the technical error in that one. Maybe I'm dense, but I just don't see it.

Thinking ... Thinking ...

Oh, wait! I have it! We didn't know about genetics for centuries.We need to put a stop to this! Next thing you know, they'll be comparing leeches to catfish! :hand:

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-26, 03:33 PM
We need to put a stop to this! Next thing you know, they'll be comparing leeches to catfish! :hand:

Or lawyers to humans!