PDA

View Full Version : Force and atom wavelength

Jens
2005-Sep-26, 01:25 AM
I'm not a physics graduate or anything, so I don't know how important this is. But I read this article:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/09/050923154827.htm

About the Van der Waals force changing atomic wavelengths. The article basically talks about the influence that this will have on nanotechnology. But I was sort of wondering, isn't this an important finding in terms of the nature of the atom itself? I mean, in terms of fundamental physics? The article doesn't seem to believe this; it makes it seem like a pure engineering issue.

So my question would be, does this have implications for theoretical physics, or is it just a normal finding theory-wise, that has implications for engineering?

swansont
2005-Sep-26, 11:14 AM
They confirmed the changes in deBroglie wavelength of an atom when it's accelerated by the van der Waal's force. Nothing new in the theory; it just hadn't been measured on that scale before.

Mosheh Thezion
2005-Sep-27, 07:46 AM
Fascinating... indeed.. 25 nanometers..

i think it put into to question the age old idea that atoms are in anyway electrically nuetral.. and that instead they may have excess charge...
i.e the charge is not 100% taken up in connecting the electron to the protons.. and but.. some charge must remain availible for emission around the atom as a field...
and or otherwise, the inductive field of the electrons in the outer shell extends 25 nanometers or so...
fascinating, as it gives us suggestions for the natural field quality of atoms generally.. as being its qualities which extend beyond its electrons...
and as found.. it can extend up to 25 nanometers...

truely fascinating.
-MT

swansont
2005-Sep-27, 11:32 AM
Fascinating... indeed.. 25 nanometers..

i think it put into to question the age old idea that atoms are in anyway electrically nuetral.. and that instead they may have excess charge...
i.e the charge is not 100% taken up in connecting the electron to the protons.. and but.. some charge must remain availible for emission around the atom as a field...
and or otherwise, the inductive field of the electrons in the outer shell extends 25 nanometers or so...
fascinating, as it gives us suggestions for the natural field quality of atoms generally.. as being its qualities which extend beyond its electrons...
and as found.. it can extend up to 25 nanometers...

truely fascinating.
-MT

You can have an induced dipole without having a net charge, so "excess charge" is not indicated here. You don't 'use up' the field in electrostatic attraction.

Mosheh Thezion
2005-Oct-01, 06:50 AM
perhaps.. either way... fascinating.
-MT