PDA

View Full Version : Material from the Moon

Peter B
2002-Jan-03, 03:39 AM
I'm writing a pamphlet for our local skeptics group to hand out to members of the public, explaining how we know the Moon landings took place.

One thing I wanted to compare was the amount of lunar material returned by the Apollo missions and the unmanned Soviet missions.

Can anyone tell me roughly how much was returned in each case? I understand it was about 350 kilograms from Apollo, and a few grams from the Soviet mission(s).

ToSeek
2002-Jan-03, 01:50 PM
On 2002-01-02 22:39, Peter B wrote:
I'm writing a pamphlet for our local skeptics group to hand out to members of the public, explaining how we know the Moon landings took place.

One thing I wanted to compare was the amount of lunar material returned by the Apollo missions and the unmanned Soviet missions.

Can anyone tell me roughly how much was returned in each case? I understand it was about 350 kilograms from Apollo, and a few grams from the Soviet mission(s).

http://hea.iki.rssi.ru/~svr/Moon/Moon1.html
Luna 16 - 101 grams
Luna 20 - 30 grams
Luna 24 - 170 grams

http://www-curator.jsc.nasa.gov/lunar/lunar.htm
Apollo total - 382 kilograms

There are also several kilograms of meteorites from the Moon:
http://epsc.wustl.edu/admin/resources/meteorites/moon_meteorites_list.html

Code Red
2002-Jan-09, 09:11 AM
Luna 16 - 101 grams
Luna 20 - 30 grams
Luna 24 - 170 grams
Apollo - 382 kilograms

Total - 382.301kg

Of that -
78.72kg = Cheddar
113.22kg = Red Leicester
46.071kg = Mozzarella
140.2kg = Gorgonzola
4.09kg = Parmesan/Dairylea amalgam

Simon
2002-Jan-09, 09:55 AM
No Colby? Shame...

Well, Colby is yellow, not white, so we'd know from telescopes if there was any there. Hmm... I don't suppose there could be veins of yellow cheese deeper down? Anything like that mentioned in the core samples they took?

JayUtah
2002-Jan-09, 01:15 PM
You mean all the time I thought they'd been saying "geology field trips" it was really "cheesology field trips"? I guess that explains why they went to Wisconsin instead of New Mexico.

Anybody remember the Four Food Groups? One of them was the "dairy" group, and of course that had little or nothing to do with proper nutrition. It was only there because the U.S. dairy lobby had so much influence over the USDA. Clearly someone who can falsify an entire dietary regimen would easily be capable of falsifying a lunar mission. That's why the conspiracists haven't been able to find any hard evidence. Instead of looking at NASA they should be looking at the Agriculture Department. They're the ones who really faked the moon landings.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-09, 01:33 PM
Piffle. Who told you that we need food? People who eat food, that's who. 'Nuf said.

O, yeh. The BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1048000/1048280.stm) says that the Soviets returned 300 grams of lunar material.

<font size=-1>[Actually answer question]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GrapesOfWrath on 2002-01-09 08:36 ]</font>

ToSeek
2002-Jan-09, 01:56 PM
On 2002-01-09 08:33, GrapesOfWrath wrote:
Piffle. Who told you that we need food? People who eat food, that's who. 'Nuf said.

And while you're at it, watch out for that dihydrogen monoxide. (http://www.dhmo.org/) It's nasty stuff!

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-09, 05:03 PM
More harmful than hydrogenated hydroxide? Horrors.

Kaptain K
2002-Jan-10, 08:33 AM
THE one and only true universal solvent. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ToSeek
2002-Jan-10, 03:42 PM
On 2002-01-10 03:33, Kaptain K wrote:
THE one and only true universal solvent. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

It can dissolve anything in time! Even a few minutes of prolonged contact can kill you!!

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-28, 05:45 PM
I just looked it up in the almanac--there are around four thousand overdoses each year. I think it is time that the government stepped in and required a warning label.

ToSeek
2002-Jan-28, 06:13 PM
On 2002-01-28 12:45, GrapesOfWrath wrote:
I just looked it up in the almanac--there are around four thousand overdoses each year. I think it is time that the government stepped in and required a warning label.

Don't expect the government to do anything. Just about everywhere I go, the local dihydrogen monoxide supplier is a government-sanctioned monopoly and pays millions to the government each year. The government wants you to consume hydrogen monoxide!

Donnie B.
2002-Jan-28, 06:19 PM
On 2002-01-28 13:13, ToSeek wrote:
The government wants you to consume hydrogen monoxide!

Darn right they do. Look up "hydraulic empire" in a political science book...

SAMU
2002-Jan-28, 10:45 PM
You guys are so dumb. Any kid can tell you its made of Green cheese. Although its actually dark as asphault its still called Green Cheese. And by dark as asphault I mean to say dark as the agregate that asphault roadways are made of which is to say dark as pea gravel or clamshell which is to say dark as white.

So to summerize the Moon is made of white Green cheese and is inhabited by Moon Maids.

SAMU

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SAMU on 2002-01-28 17:51 ]</font>

ToSeek
2002-Jan-29, 01:56 PM
On 2002-01-28 17:45, SAMU wrote:
So to summerize the Moon is made of white Green cheese and is inhabited by Moon Maids.

who, I must conclude, eat a lot of cheese.

Peter B
2002-May-20, 05:23 AM
Incidentally, the Luna 16 return capsule has been gracing a "To Mars and Beyond" exhibition at the National Museum here in Canberra.

A very unassuming brown ball, about 30 or 40 centimetres across, with three hot dog roll-looking things sticking out the top - radar transmitters or something I think.

Last chance to see it's this weekend. So if any of you North Americans were thinking of a trip down under, here's your excuse...!