PDA

View Full Version : Da Vinci clue for heart surgeon

Sticks
2005-Sep-28, 12:23 PM
Summary

A UK heart surgeon has pioneered a new way to repair damaged hearts after being inspired by artist Leonardo da Vinci's medical drawings.

As reported on the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4289204.stm)

NEOWatcher
2005-Sep-28, 01:11 PM
Is it important that this Dr found a way to do the repair without restricting the opening? Absolutely.
Was Leonardo revolutionary in his understanding? Absolutely.
Was this Dr inspired by his drawings? Apparently.
ok; here's where I start having trouble...
Did other doctors find that the diameter of the opening was important? I would say yes, the article implies no.
Did Leonardo know a better way to do the repair? I would say no, although he knew it was important. The article implies yes, but never explains.
Reason for the article? Not clear... The thought of a new procedure is important, and would result in its own story, but I'm left with the impression that the whole reason for the article is the promotion of thier show.
(is the connection only the 1% inspiration, or does it cut into the 99% persperation)

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-27, 03:54 PM
I think you've hit the nail on the head their NEO, there may obviously be benefits behind what this Dr. has apparently discovered, but tieing it in with a cross-promotion of another medium of the Beeb is obviously part of the broader strategy to try and compete in the digital future. The closer the integrations between their different media the better chance they have of remaining relevant for a longer period.

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-27, 07:42 PM
Been trawling for new threads to resurrect I see.

NEOWatcher
2005-Dec-27, 08:58 PM
Been trawling for new threads to resurrect I see.
Resurrected? In jkmccrann's time continuum, at 3 months old, this is a new thread. :shifty:

This is the first time I personally don't care he did it.:whistle: Although there might be some bias this time. ;)