PDA

View Full Version : Moose killed by moose: ironic headline you won't read in the paper today.

Moose
2005-Sep-29, 12:42 PM
I had a close encounter at dusk last night with the south end of a northbound moose.

Thankfully, it was a near miss. I was about 10-20 meters away when I saw the thing step onto the highway. I was able to react just in time and swerve to avoid clipping it. I'm sure its front hooves were past the white line, but beyond that, I never got more than an indistinct glimpse of its antlers through my peripheral vision. The rest of the darn thing was indistinguishable from the wooded background.

Folks, when driving in woodland areas in Canada, never, but never underestimate how hard moose are to spot at night. Their eyes barely reflect light (unlike deer or bears) so you have no warning they're out there. They blend into the dusk background so well they may as well be The Predator for all you'll be able to see them on the road. They're tall enough they'll be (literally) in your lap before you can scream "Nine-one-one!", and worst of all, they're far too arrogant and stone-dumb to be wary of the rare few things that can injure or kill them.

In better news, though, I met my newborn goddaughter yesterday (not quite three weeks old). What a little cutie. I tried out my Marlon Brando impersonation yesterday. She yawned in my face. I'll have to keep practicing. :p

Swift
2005-Sep-29, 01:25 PM
Moose, glad you missed a "too" close encounter with your name-sake. And congrats about the goddaughter. Having seen the results of deer-car encounters plenty of times in Ohio, I can't imagine the damage from a moose.

gethen
2005-Sep-29, 01:37 PM
Yow Moose, that's scary. I worry about hitting a moose every time we drive into our camp late at night. Hitting one would probably finish off our small car and us as well. Last year a couple of our neighbors in Ontario lost a good friend to a moose in the road in the wee hours of the morning. I'm glad you're O.K.
Another neighbor came upon a moose in the road near our camp just two weeks ago. It was dusk, and he stopped to let it get out of the road. It did, but it then stopped on the shoulder to watch his truck, so he got out his camera. This was a full grown bull, and he wanted a picture to prove he'd seen it that close, but the bull had other ideas. It started snorting and pawing, and took a pass at his truck. He decided that in a contest with his truck the moose would win, so he left. Dumb is a good description of a moose.

Moose
2005-Sep-29, 01:40 PM
Swift: At least with deer, unless the darn thing tries to jump, you stand a pretty fair chance of surviving the collision (although it's a given the accident will total the car). Deer are just short enough that most of the impact is taken on the engine compartment.

In a collision with a moose, all the engine compartment will do is snap its legs off as it passes underneath. Gravity will neatly deposit 700+ lbs of raw moose steak right in the driver's lap.

Moose collisions are by far the number one cause of road fatalities on New Brunswick roads, and the newspaper reported today that the fatalities nearly doubled last year.

The province has been trialling highway animal fencing in a (formerly) bad area for moose incidents. I wish they'd hurry up and finish the job. The fences work.

Maksutov
2005-Sep-29, 01:47 PM
Moose are proliferating throughout New England. Even the southern areas not too far from NYC. (http://dep.state.ct.us/burnatr/wildlife/factshts/moose.htm) I guess those sex education classes at Whatsamatta University are now starting to pay off.

Back in CT in the 1950s, if someone said "Moose" the reply would be either "Which lodge/chapter/legion?" or "Elk", "Odd Fellow", "Mason", etc.

The shape of things to come?

http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/5438/moose7xb.th.gif (http://img326.imageshack.us/my.php?image=moose7xb.gif)

Moose
2005-Sep-29, 01:56 PM
It did, but it then stopped on the shoulder to watch his truck, so he got out his camera. This was a full grown bull, and he wanted a picture to prove he'd seen it that close, but the bull had other ideas. It started snorting and pawing, and took a pass at his truck. He decided that in a contest with his truck the moose would win, so he left. Dumb is a good description of a moose.

Oh yeah, there are a number of stories floating around of bull moose challenging (and totalling) stopped automobiles. Local lore (though I can't personally validate it) warns that flashing car lights at the bulls can be interpreted as a challenge.

From personal observation, the cows seem to be more timid. (Just as dumb, though.) I've had to stop for dozens of them, including one that was shying from the stopped traffic, trotting back and forth across a highway a few times before it finally ran back into the trees the way it came.

My busiest single night was sighting five moose (two pairs and a single) along the highway two years ago, along with a coyote and a weasel thrown in for good measure.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Sep-29, 04:22 PM
Moose are awful. My driving instuctor eventually had to gently push a standing moose off of the road with his car because it refused to move. Bloody things.