PDA

View Full Version : Spaceflight may get more productive

Glom
2003-Jan-16, 10:10 PM
UK members, set your videos on Tuesday.

Wed 22 Jan, 03:00 - 03:50
BBC One

Living Nightmare: Narcolepsy sufferers live in a twilight world between sleep and waking. But has groundbreaking new research come up with a way to go without sleep for days on end? W/S.

Just saw the premier on BBC TWO. Brilliant stuff. So good it's worth mentioning anyway, but their is an astronomy component to it.

Right now, STS 107 is engaging in a purely scientific mission. The crew have been organised into red and blue teams so they can make as much use of time as possible for their SPACEHAB work, given that they need to sleep. With orexine, they wouldn't and so more work could be done for the same cost.

Imagine how much less trauma the Mir 23 crew could have had if their fatigue didn't cause that Progress collision.

Space travel is an expensive business and there is no time to waste on trivial things like sleep! Orexine may help the cause and encourage more spaceflight.

GrapesOfWrath
2003-Jan-17, 11:07 AM
Don't know about orexine. Is that the stuff those two guys were taking when they bombed the Canadians? Hmmm...this account (http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/4/18/195735.shtml) doesn't mention the news report I saw yesterday that said they were taking drugs to keep them alert, and that the miscalculation might be blamed on the drugs.

Glom
2003-Jan-17, 04:30 PM
I seriously doubt it. I don't think anyone knows how to produce it. Orexin is the actual chemical produced in the hyperthalamus that regulates sleep. The importance of it is that if it were taking as a drug, it wouldn't have any side effects because it's the brain's natural stimulant.

Zathras
2003-Jan-17, 04:49 PM
On 2003-01-17 11:30, Glom wrote:
I seriously doubt it. I don't think anyone knows how to produce it. Orexin is the actual chemical produced in the hyperthalamus that regulates sleep. The importance of it is that if it were taking as a drug, it wouldn't have any side effects because it's the brain's natural stimulant.

Just because it's natural doesn't mean there won't be any side effects. An oversupply of a lot of things in the body could be bad, even if it is naturally produced. Example: oversuppply of insulin produces hypoglycemia.

Sleep is there for a reason. Our bodies and brains need to relax. I shudder what could happen taking this drug long term.

(BTW Grapes: the pilots that bombed the Canadians were on amphetimenes).

Glom
2003-Jan-17, 04:57 PM
The lack of side effects is what they said on the programme. They didn't actually cover the question of why orexin production does actually drop in the first place.

But it was still great stuff.

Kaptain K
2003-Jan-19, 09:32 PM
I don't know about anybody else, but I appreciate sleep! During the early '80s, I had (in essence) unlimited access to free amphetamines (long story). It is my opinion that the reason (or at least one of them) that I did not become addicted was that I was more addicted to sleep.

Glom
2003-Jan-19, 09:55 PM
On 2003-01-19 16:32, Kaptain K wrote:
During the early '80s, I had (in essence) unlimited access to free amphetamines (long story).

Can we go into that a bit? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Kaptain K
2003-Jan-19, 10:50 PM
On 2003-01-19 16:55, Glom wrote:

On 2003-01-19 16:32, Kaptain K wrote:
During the early '80s, I had (in essence) unlimited access to free amphetamines (long story).

Can we go into that a bit? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

At separate times:
1) My room mate was a speed addict.
2) A co-worker was as inactive member (retired to you and me) of a "drug organization". Couriers would stop at his place overnight and leave some as "rent".

It was along time ago and a reality far, far away. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaptain K on 2003-01-19 17:54 ]</font>

joema
2003-Jan-21, 08:44 PM
There's a new anti-sleep drug now available called Modafinil (Provigil) that doesn't have the side effects of amphetamines. This is what the USAF should use for "go pills".

http://www.smart-drugs.com/ias-Modafinil.htm

-- Joe