PDA

View Full Version : Meteor

MikeB
2005-Oct-01, 10:38 PM
So, me and a friend found a commercial on the net:

http://www.killsometime.com/Video/video.asp?ID=322

It's a car commercial featuring a car being hit by a meteor.

So we started discussing how correct this particular piece of footage actually is. We not being experts at all, thought some of you could tell us something about it also as we're not quite in agreement :)

For example, I expressed doubt about an object that size could even travel at an angle like that all the way to the surface. My thought were it would be slowed down by wind resistance enough to basicly have it free-fall straight down at some point.

Also, the chance of an object that size reaching the lower atmosphere without either blowing up or breaking up into smaller fragments seems unlikely to me.

And lastly, I argued, that if it did impact like that.. The crater would be at least 10 times the size of the object itself. Is there any way to calculate this? Or is there a general rule of thumb?

Obviously this is just a simple "what if" discussion between me and a friend, but it's still a neat little thought scenario to us :) Any other light anyone could shed on the subject would be appriciated.

Metricyard
2005-Oct-01, 11:33 PM
Saw this on GLP (godlikeproductions.com)the other day. I would say that anything traveling that fast and hitting that close would have probably killed everyone there, not to mention put a few dents in the car.

Looked cool though.

gopher65
2005-Oct-21, 02:37 AM
A small meteorite would be traveling at terminal velocity by the time it hit the ground (if by some weird chance it survived). It would do some serious damage to a truck I'd think.

EDIT: Just viewed the file. Pfffft that thing is huge (but would still be traveling at terminal velocity, and I don't think it would still be hot or leaving a plasma trail:P). That rock must be more than a ton. Most trucks I've seen dent when you drop a pebble on them never mind a huge thing like that:P.

Looked cool though:).

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Oct-23, 10:54 PM
You might want to take a look at the car pictured here (http://www.nyrockman.com/pages/peekskill-today.htm). It was hit by the famous Peekskill meteorite in 1992.

gopher65
2005-Oct-24, 12:33 PM
That's more like it:D. Seems to me I remember hearing about that at the time. Course I was still little so I don't remember all that much.

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-24, 12:51 PM
Of course, Toyota is taking very little risk by advertising their truck as "meteor proof". How many claims are they likely to get over the lifetime of that model? It would be astonishing if even one truck were to be struck by a meteor(ite).

It would be like claiming their truck is sea serpent proof. (That may be their next commercial! Big green head rises out of the water, picks truck up off beach, shakes it around a bit, pulls it underwater... then it erupts back to the surface, lands back on the beach, and drives off.)

If they ever did have to pay off a customer for meteor damage, it would probably be worth more in publicity than the relatively tiny replacement cost of the vehicle.

publiusr
2005-Oct-26, 08:37 PM
That's more like it:D. Seems to me I remember hearing about that at the time. Course I was still little so I don't remember all that much.

I think the cars owner was a punk rocker who got offered 10 grand for it.

Imagine if it happened now with Ebay.

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 09:02 PM
That video is hilarious!

gethen
2005-Oct-26, 09:24 PM
A small meteorite would be traveling at terminal velocity by the time it hit the ground (if by some weird chance it survived). It would do some serious damage to a truck I'd think.

EDIT: Just viewed the file. Pfffft that thing is huge (but would still be traveling at terminal velocity, and I don't think it would still be hot or leaving a plasma trail:P). That rock must be more than a ton. Most trucks I've seen dent when you drop a pebble on them never mind a huge thing like that:P.

Looked cool though:).
Yeah, well, my Toyota sustainded over $2500 in damages by being hit by a mere 130 pound white-tailed deer. Apparently it was also travelling at terminal velocity.

Sticks
2005-Nov-18, 02:16 PM
Sorry about starting a new thread on this :doh:

Now I am on the correct thread

IIRC, meteorites are not fireballs when they reach ground level. :think:

Swift
2005-Nov-18, 03:48 PM
It would be like claiming their truck is sea serpent proof. (That may be their next commercial! Big green head rises out of the water, picks truck up off beach, shakes it around a bit, pulls it underwater... then it erupts back to the surface, lands back on the beach, and drives off.)

My truck is absolutely resistant to damage from invisible elfs (I hate it when the run out of their backyards and into traffic). Go ahead, prove otherwise!
:eh:
:shifty:

:D

Parrothead
2005-Nov-18, 06:15 PM
I think the cars owner was a punk rocker who got offered 10 grand for it.

Imagine if it happened now with Ebay.

According to an account of the story, in a book I have, the car belonged to a student. She had bought the car for $100 and ended up selling the car and meteorite piece for $69,000.

NEOWatcher
2005-Nov-18, 06:17 PM
Also noticed in on Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/photos/advertisements/meteor.asp)
Disappointing that they don't explain at least some of the faults in this.

Also; I'm waiting for the next Snopes posting that answers the question "did someone REALLY write in wondering if it was true or not?" :wall:

publiusr
2005-Nov-18, 09:26 PM
According to an account of the story, in a book I have, the car belonged to a student. She had bought the car for $100 and ended up selling the car and meteorite piece for $69,000.

Painting bullseye on the Fairmont as I speak.

hhEb09'1
2005-Nov-29, 03:31 PM
IIRC, meteorites are not fireballs when they reach ground level. :think:The BA's blog (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/) for Nov. 28 is about this commercial, and he mentions the same thing:
Since they spend so much time way up in the atmosphere, where it’s very cold, they have plenty of time to cool off — especially since the heated outer layers of the meteoroid generally slough off while it’s still moving rapidly. It’s only really big meteoroids — many meters wide — that hit the ground while still moving quickly enough to generate heat.Wouldn't there be a continuum though? If heated layers are sloughing off while it's moving, couldn't the final "product" have just arrived at the point shown in the video? I guess you could "back out" the velocity, to space, and see if you could have something realistic, but it seems that there might be enough variables that the initial values could be tweaked to arrive at something reasonably close to that.

We know of an example of a cold small (2/3 kilogram) rock hitting a car, and large still-hot meteors exploding close to the ground. Shouldn't there be in-between examples that would be allowable? What if a meteor had just enough size to have been reduced to a couple kilograms while it was still hot but as it was starting to cool and slow down, it impacted the earth?

Extravoice
2005-Nov-29, 06:16 PM
It would be like claiming their truck is sea serpent proof.

Or offers thermonuclear protection (http://www.edgewear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=809984901880)?

TheBlackCat
2005-Nov-30, 01:31 AM
Of course, Toyota is taking very little risk by advertising their truck as "meteor proof". How many claims are they likely to get over the lifetime of that model? It would be astonishing if even one truck were to be struck by a meteor(ite).

If they ever did have to pay off a customer for meteor damage, it would probably be worth more in publicity than the relatively tiny replacement cost of the vehicle.

It reminds me of a TV show I saw. They used a crane to put a truck on top of a large office builing (probably 10-15 stories) they were about to demolish using controlled explosions. They then proceeded to blow up the building underneath the truck. When the dust had cleared, not only did the truck start, but it actually still drove (albiet barely).

2006-Sep-20, 04:23 AM
Ooo! I just saw a second version of a Toyota Tacoma versus an improbable event: the Loch Ness Monster!

Some dude is talking about the loch, when in the far background Nessie grabs a Toyota off the beach. As the camera searches the roiling waters, Nessie spits or throws the vehicle back out onto the beach, driver fires it up and drives off.

Very nice effects.

hhEb09'1
2006-Sep-20, 05:09 AM
It would be like claiming their truck is sea serpent proof. (That may be their next commercial! Big green head rises out of the water, picks truck up off beach, shakes it around a bit, pulls it underwater... then it erupts back to the surface, lands back on the beach, and drives off.)Donnie B., I have no idea when that commercial was conceived but flimsier cases for priority have been made :)

Donnie B.
2006-Sep-20, 07:10 PM
Donnie B., I have no idea when that commercial was conceived but flimsier cases for priority have been made :)Hey! I saw it too! Follows my description blow for blow. They did add the documentary narrator, but otherwise... *taps nose*

And you know, I'd completely forgotten that prediction... but now you may all begin to refer to me as Donnie the Magnificent.

Anybody know who Toyota's ad agency is, and whether they visit this site? I think I deserve a cut!

Lord Jubjub
2006-Sep-21, 12:31 AM
Nissan had an advertisement similar to the sea serpant except they simply had the truck being rolled around and over huge rocks by the high tide. The surfer/driver comes back at low tide, gets in and drives off.

hhEb09'1
2006-Sep-21, 02:06 PM
Nissan had an advertisement similar to the sea serpant except they simply had the truck being rolled around and over huge rocks by the high tide. The surfer/driver comes back at low tide, gets in and drives off.Like the sea serpent except with no serpent, just sea? :)

sarongsong
2006-Sep-21, 07:31 PM
Cecil! (http://www.toonopedia.com/beany.htm)

Sticks
2006-Sep-21, 08:15 PM
Cecil! (http://www.tvacres.com/reptiles_serpents_cecil.htm)

I would not go near that link, it put in some suspicious pop under when I closed the page. I had to kill it very quickly. :neutral: