PDA

View Full Version : Black Holes Can't Hide Forever

Fraser
2005-Oct-03, 05:00 PM
SUMMARY: The pull of gravity from a black hole is so strong that nothing, not even light can escape it. But that doesn't mean they can't be seen indirectly. Matter can pile up around a black hole and heat up, giving off a tremendous amount of radiation. Better techniques and instruments should bring astronomers right to the edge of the monstrous black hole at the heart of the Milky Way. A continental array of submillimeter telescopes is in the works that will reveal the shadow cast by a black hole on its surrounding material.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/black_holes_arent_black.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

antoniseb
2005-Oct-03, 05:09 PM
It will be very cool to start being able to observe the surface of an event horizon. I suspect that it will be a big challenge to get the submillimeter array to resolve things well enough time-wise since any object spiralling into that object will be travelling very fast.

Jerry
2005-Oct-03, 05:39 PM
As a certified Black Hole sceptic, this experiment, and experimental design is broadly welcomed. I worry a little, though - The fact that no one observed a crater, or unambiguous secondary evidence that a deep crater was formed did not prevent Deep Impact scientists from declaring in all-but certain terms that the probe had penetrated well into the nucleus and excavated primal solar matter. Ambiguous results require ambiguous conclusions.

I wish the scientists in this experiment were a little less optimistic in stating project objectives, and include nullifying or ambiguous results as acceptable outcomes of a successful experiment. We really do not know if event horizons truly exist.

snowflakeuniverse
2005-Oct-03, 11:33 PM
I too share Jerry Jensen’s skepticism for a super massive black hole at our galaxy’s center. I also share his concern that the observations, which will have ambiguous characteristics, will be described as “proving” current theories without any ambiguity at all.

As most of you know I assert that the expansion of spacetime is uniform, meaning that matter itself is expanding. In the proposed model, if one “runs the clock backwards”, galaxies keep their relative separation and there is no convergence to a “singularity”. Galaxies become the source of matter into the universe and it is at the cores of galaxies where matter enters the universe. There is still a curvature to spacetime, but it is described by the historical location of that region of spacetime.

Any theory must conform to observation, so I predict the following test or conformation of my theory in regards to the observation of our galaxy’s core.

The flares or bright spots currently believed to be the result of falling of chunks of colliding matter close to the black hole will be found to still be in orbit around the “black hole”. While the luminosity will be gone, the remnants of nuclear explosions should be detected.

Snowflake