PDA

View Full Version : Serenity - rumored more films

Kevinito
2005-Oct-04, 12:05 PM
Yesterday, it was rumored on the browncoats website that Universal Pictures just signed a deal for 10 more years of Firefly movies. While I am extremely excited about this . . . I want to be cautious. Is this really true??

ToSeek
2005-Oct-04, 02:16 PM
I'd rather see a new TV series. Making more movies means we get two hours' worth every couple of years, instead of 13-22 hours every year.

Kevinito
2005-Oct-04, 02:45 PM
True. However, if they do decide to go back to the TV screen . . . there would be missing actors . . .

BTW, I just checked the Internet Movie Database and Joss Whedon is directing the new Wonder Woman!

Check the link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451279/

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-04, 02:45 PM
I'm with you, ToSeek. I'm very intrigued by the "Direct-to-DVD" proposal outlined on the www.serenitymovie.net site... but I don't know anything about the guy's bona fides.

As far as the rumor goes, I'd say it's best to disregard it until it's reported on a reputable site, such as IMDB.com or one of the entertainment news sites. In the meantime, keep spreading the word and pumping up those ticket sales!

(I plan to return for a third viewing later this week, maybe Friday night.)

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-04, 02:47 PM
BTW, I just checked the Internet Movie Database and Joss Whedon is directing the new Wonder Woman!Yes, and he's also committed to directing the film version of Goner, I've read.

Captain Kidd
2005-Oct-04, 02:57 PM
The Tremors series has enjoyed a bit of a direct-to-DVD cult following, myself included, with 3 direct release movies following the theatrical movie and a rumored fourth script written. (I'm not as rabid as some (most) fans; same goes for Firefly.) Tremors acutally gained enough of a following to get a short-lived series on the SciFi Channel.

So I'd be happy with a d2DVD (? :D ) release; I'm enough of a junkie that that'd suit my needs.

Jim
2005-Oct-04, 03:17 PM
SciFi channel played (plays) the Tremors movies and they're rerunning the Firefly series; I'd bet they'd play any Firefly movies that get made.

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-04, 03:20 PM
Well, yes... SciFi Channel is owned by Universal, which owns the movie rights to Firefly.

Hopefully the movie(s) will have enough broad appeal that they'll appear on network TV before they get to basic cable.

[Captain Kidd, we're gonna have to work on that rabidity thing...] ;)

Musashi
2005-Oct-04, 03:40 PM
I read interviews with Nathan Fillion and Summer Glau that both said they signed 3-movie deals. I imagine that if Serenity does well enough they will make the other two. I also imagine it would be difficult (impossile?) to make a series while the movie options go unexercised.

Kesh
2005-Oct-04, 05:08 PM
Unfortunately, Fox owns all rights to Firefly as a TV series. I suppose Joss could gets some lawyers to wrangle that a Serenity series is a different beast, after money changes hands, but I doubt it.

I'm not entirely sure I want any film sequels. The movie wrapped up things pretty neatly.

Captain Kidd
2005-Oct-04, 05:12 PM
Well, the thing I've come to expect from Whedon is entertaining and varying stories. I've got faith that he'd come up with a new and unique story for the next movie that didn't feel like a tack-on for more moves. (Heck, he's probably got a dozen that were planned for the series.)

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-04, 06:57 PM
Joss has been quoted in interviews that the movie wraps up the plot threads that would have played out over a couple of seasons of the series. In other words, we're pretty much up to the point we'd be at right now, had the series continued.

So yes, I'm sure there are plenty of places it could go from here. With horses, I hope.

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-05, 03:17 PM
Here's a wonderful review of Serenity from an interesting source:

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2005-09-30-extra.shtml

Gillianren
2005-Oct-05, 05:55 PM
I've never read Ender's Game. I find the constant references to it a little, mmmm, self-serving. as in, "see this movie, but read my book, too." is that just me?

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-05, 06:09 PM
Well, it did win both Hugo and Nebula awards, and turned into a whole series. I haven't read it though.

Are you really suggesting that he wrote the review just to lure a few Serenity nuts into buying a book that's been out for 10 years?

I read on another forum that Card is never one to give praise lightly. Don't know that from personal experience. Still, when an author says "And [Serenity] is as good a movie as I always hoped [my book]would be", that's pretty high marks.

Captain Kidd
2005-Oct-05, 06:32 PM
Ender's Game was really good. The sequals... not so much IMO, never did finish all of them.

I've been wondering why they hadn't made it a movie yet and now I know and agree. Among other stuff, there's a lot of zero-g stuff involved that would have (and still has the potential to be) hoaky.

I didn't find his references to his book that big a deal, but then having read it may have colored my perception.

Gillianren
2005-Oct-05, 06:40 PM
Are you really suggesting that he wrote the review just to lure a few Serenity nuts into buying a book that's been out for 10 years?

no; I'm saying that he seems to have a bit of an ego about it. it may be justified; I can't know that without having read the book. I just found it a bit distracting, that's all.

gopher65
2005-Oct-06, 03:51 AM
no; I'm saying that he seems to have a bit of an ego about it. it may be justified; I can't know that without having read the book. I just found it a bit distracting, that's all.

It is a pretty decent book. The sequals and sister novels aren't very good (overall), but I rather liked Ender's Game.

Launch window
2005-Oct-09, 12:46 PM
this Serenity looks like it might be a good movie

I'll check it out