PDA

View Full Version : Happy anniversary BAUT

R.A.F.
2005-Oct-04, 04:11 PM
Yes...1 month ago today Bad Astronomy and Universe Today were joined together. It might seem a little presumptuous to "celebrate" a one month anniversary, but you know how newlyweds are. :)

I'm curious to hear what other posters impressions of the new board are. For myself, after some initial pre-wedding "jitters", I've found that I feel very much at home here...as much so as on the old board.

Comments??

Captain Kidd
2005-Oct-04, 04:14 PM
I'll second that.

The transistion for me went fairl smoothly. I had more issues getting use to the new software than the new people.

Moose
2005-Oct-04, 04:20 PM
What, already?! :surprised :)

Yeah, I'd say I'm pretty much settled in for the haul. Big thanks to Phil, Fraser, our gaggle of mods (y'all know who you are) for maintaining our pristine new playground.

ToSeek
2005-Oct-04, 06:41 PM
Because we switched platforms, I initially got the feeling that we BABBers swarmed in and took over UT. But we're just one big happy family now!

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Oct-04, 06:48 PM
So. Who do we absorb next?

Fraser
2005-Oct-04, 07:16 PM
Oh... we've got plans... mwaa ha ha ha!

CJSF
2005-Oct-04, 07:22 PM
I'm still not very comfortable with it. I have trouble finding threads I've posted in, and some of the categories still seem too broad or "lumped" together. It seems to take me longer to find what I am interested in or browse through the board than it did before.

Otherwise, the community feel is still pretty much there, and some of the "unbanned" posters seem to be doing at least a marginally better job at staying that way.

CJSF

R.A.F.
2005-Oct-04, 08:08 PM

:) Reminds me of the 1st season Star Trek episode The Return of the Archons.

You are not of the body...you must be absorbed.

edited to remove attached image...for some reason it doesn't work.

edited again to add this (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/raflaf/PDVD_006Custom1.jpg) image....nice robes. :)

hhEb09'1
2005-Oct-04, 08:27 PM
I'm still not very comfortable with it. I have trouble finding threads I've posted in, and some of the categories still seem too broad or "lumped" together. It seems to take me longer to find what I am interested in or browse through the board than it did before.I had a similar problem until I discovered some of the features.

I used to depend upon email notification (on the BABB), but no more. Just subscribe to the threads (can be set to automatic in your profile, if you've posted to the thread, just like on the BABB). When you click on the UserCP link, a list of all subscribed threads that have recent (since you last visited) postings will be displayed. That list is updated--so if you post to the last thread in the list, it will jump to the top of the list, but you'll be able to see that you were the last poster.

PS: The New Posts link is also handy, for a quick overview

Archer17
2005-Oct-04, 11:07 PM
Yes...1 month ago today Bad Astronomy and Universe Today were joined together. It might seem a little presumptuous to "celebrate" a one month anniversary, but you know how newlyweds are. :)

I'm curious to hear what other posters impressions of the new board are. For myself, after some initial pre-wedding "jitters", I've found that I feel very much at home here...as much so as on the old board.

Comments??I like it. It's faster & has more "bells & whistles."

bearcub
2005-Oct-04, 11:29 PM
I'll chime with a "me too". I like the way the place looks, and it hasn't quite lost that new forum smell.

Moose
2005-Oct-04, 11:39 PM
The funny thing is that over the past couple of months, all forums I frequent have switched to this version of vB. BAUT, modTheSims2, LICD, JREF and they all use the same default skin. Heh. Gets confusing.

...Speaking of alternate skins, I think I know what I can nag the admins about when things are too quiet around here. :p

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Oct-05, 12:03 AM
We are Dyslexia of BAUT...prepare to have your @$$ laminated...

Fraser
2005-Oct-05, 12:43 AM
We're going to upgrade the forum to version 3.5 in a couple of days now that it's gone into a final, stable release. So, get ready to learn all the new features. :-)

WaxRubiks
2005-Oct-05, 09:13 AM
is there a feature for subscribing to a thread without having to post in it?
Or will there be on this new fangled 3.5?

Captain Kidd
2005-Oct-05, 11:06 AM

It's not the main toolbar at the top, but the one attached to the top of the first post right below the Post Reply" button. I really like that option. That way I don't have to post an inane comment just to keep track, and being able to unsuscribe is very nice. (I got so irritated at seeing the word assoc. thread in "my threads" all the time after posting in it once.)

CJSF
2005-Oct-05, 01:25 PM
I had a similar problem until I discovered some of the features.

I used to depend upon email notification (on the BABB), but no more. Just subscribe to the threads (can be set to automatic in your profile, if you've posted to the thread, just like on the BABB). When you click on the UserCP link, a list of all subscribed threads that have recent (since you last visited) postings will be displayed. That list is updated--so if you post to the last thread in the list, it will jump to the top of the list, but you'll be able to see that you were the last poster.

PS: The New Posts link is also handy, for a quick overview

That does help with topics I have seen. I should give it a try. It doesn't help wiht new topics, though. It still takes me longer to browse through... but I'm sure I'll adapt and the board will adapt to feedback.

CJSF