PDA

View Full Version : Pronunciation of BAUT

pumpkinpie
2005-Oct-05, 12:49 PM
How do you pronounce BAUT? Originally I thought of it as sounding the same as the word "bought." Then as I was reading the "About BAUT" thread, I started thinking about it as rhyming with about. What about you?

I'm sure people from different countries will pronounce it differently, and I'm not looking for any correct pronunciation, as I'm sure there isn't one. I'm just curious. Especially about how the admins pronounce it!

Argos
2005-Oct-05, 12:59 PM
In my pronounce it rhymes with "about". Its quite natural to a native Portuguese speaker (as it must be for Germans) like me. Now the French would pronounce it like "bt", methinks.

ToSeek
2005-Oct-05, 01:37 PM
I pronounce it as something approximating baa-oot, but just barely with two syllables.

WaxRubiks
2005-Oct-05, 01:53 PM
I would pronounce it the same as "Bought" but in a Scottish( i think that that's Scottish) accent this would mean the same as "about" . eg "messin' aBAUT(as in "bought") on the river."

HenrikOlsen
2005-Oct-05, 02:24 PM
As a danish speaker I'd go with BAUT rhymes with about as well, though with the final vowel slightly shorter in BAUT.

Wolverine
2005-Oct-05, 02:30 PM
How do you pronounce BAUT?

The forum. :D

Fraser
2005-Oct-05, 03:14 PM
I'm rhyming it with About too, but then I'm Canadian, and people make fun of the way we say that word.

Candy
2005-Oct-05, 03:35 PM
I pronounce it Bout with a North Dakotan accent. Which is not too far off from Canadian. ;)

Gillianren
2005-Oct-05, 05:35 PM
erm, I say B-A-U-T. when I don't just call it "the board." when I don't just call it "the one BABB merged into."

Moose
2005-Oct-05, 05:43 PM
I spell it BAUT, but I pronounce it "Throat Warbler Mangrove".

(Actually: "bought".)

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Oct-05, 06:02 PM
I'm rhyming it with About too, but then I'm Canadian, and people make fun of the way we say that word.

Same here. Oh, and don't feel bad about the accent. There are worse ones to have. (Like my Ottawa Valley accent. Other Canadians make fun of it.)

Fraser
2005-Oct-05, 06:10 PM
I don't have an accent! It's all you who have the accent.

Candy
2005-Oct-05, 06:16 PM
Canadians, North Dakotans, and folks from Minnesota have accents. They drawl out the vowels when speaking. I was raised by Dakotans, so I knoooooooow better. ;)

Maksutov
2005-Oct-05, 09:32 PM
I'm rhyming it with About too, but then I'm Canadian, and people make fun of the way we say that word.Depends on how the vocal chords and mind are at that particular moment, resulting in three variations:

1. As demonstrated in this post (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=571735&postcount=94).

2. Extreme Canadian, i.e., Bee-Ay-You-Tee, eh? Take off, hoser! (the "Ay" pronounced as the "ay" in "hay" or the "eh" in "eh").

3. Starship Troopers, Bravo Alpha Uniform Tango, let's go!

I prefer 1., since it indicates that when HBs, CTs, and ATMers without evidence come here, they will find themselves in a BAUT where they can't win, and always finish Tango Uniform, eh? :lol:

Van Rijn
2005-Oct-05, 09:36 PM
I say "BAUT" much like "bout" (b-oww-t, b-out).

I don't have an accent, no sir.

Actually, I have a California accent, which is pretty similar to a Mid-West accent, though my relatives might say, for instance, "warsh" where I would say "wash."

GDwarf
2005-Oct-05, 11:11 PM
I say it BAUT, as in 'bout', which is probably my Canadian accent coming through, eh? ;)

Swift
2005-Oct-06, 03:07 AM
Well it's a-baut time we addressed this issue! :eh:

:lol:

m13_higgs
2005-Oct-06, 03:44 AM
erm, I say B-A-U-T. when I don't just call it "the board." when I don't just call it "the one BABB merged into."

Me too. Rhyming with about has a certain appeal, though . . .

pumpkinpie
2005-Oct-06, 12:52 PM
Me too. Rhyming with about has a certain appeal, though . . .

I agree. The more I read the "About BAUT" thread, the more that pronunciation sticks!

crosscountry
2005-Oct-06, 12:56 PM
Canadians ..... awboot

;)

I say the U.S. version of about

Lianachan
2005-Oct-06, 02:05 PM
I would pronounce it the same as "Bought" but in a Scottish( i think that that's Scottish) accent this would mean the same as "about" . eg "messin' aBAUT(as in "bought") on the river."

Can't say I've heard a Scottish accent like that before!

*edited in to say that parts in the east of Scotland might make "about" sound like "a boot", though*

I don't think I've ever had cause to pronounce BAUT, so it's not crossed my mind.

Now that it has, I think of it rhyming with cot.

Tranquility
2005-Oct-06, 04:31 PM
Heh I just say it B.A.U.T, or rhyming with "bought".

Praise the emperor, and may he protect us from the evils of the Warp.

Disinfo Agent
2005-Oct-06, 07:11 PM
Why pronounce it at all?! It's an abbreviation!

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Oct-06, 07:32 PM
NATO, NASA, and UNESCO are also acronyms. So. Why not pronounce BAUT?

Arneb
2005-Oct-06, 07:35 PM
As Argos said, for a German it's natural to pronounce as in "about" (or "pronounce" ;) ). As ToSeek, stated, not as two syllables but as a diphthong.

Disinfo Agent
2005-Oct-06, 07:38 PM
NATO, NASA, and UNESCO are also acronyms. So. Why not pronounce BAUT?I'm not going to have to speak about the B.A.U.T. in the foreseeable future, and if I had to I might simply call it "the Bad Astronomy and Universe Today Forum".

pumpkinpie
2005-Oct-06, 07:45 PM
I wasn't completely clear; I didn't mean "pronounce" as in how would you say it. I probably won't say it much myself; I never actually said "BABB," if I ever talked about it I said "Bad Astronomy bulletin board" or something or the sort. What I meant was, how do you pronounce it in your head, when you read "BAUT?"
:)

Jorge
2005-Oct-06, 08:05 PM
To my parents its: "The Forum"
To knowlegable poeple: if ther english speaking like in about -a, non english speakers Bee Ay Uw Tea (B as in the insect Bee, A as in Ay what are you doing, U as in u-boot, T as in Tea)
To when i'm thinking about it i pronouce it as bauwt (the dutch Blauw - l + T)

galacsi
2005-Oct-06, 08:11 PM
In my pronounce it rhymes with "about". Its quite natural to a native Portuguese speaker (as it must be for Germans) like me. Now the French would pronounce it like "bt", methinks.

As a french ii can say there is two ways of pronuncing it . The most correct is

"B" without pronuncing the final "T" , but "BT" is acceptable and more probable because it is clearly an english word .

galacsi
2005-Oct-06, 08:35 PM
This story make me think about the name BAUT . Much less exciting than the actual thing. Many obvious names have been already taken . Like "astronomy cafe" astronews and so on . What about "Universe Browsers" ?

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-06, 09:19 PM
I say "bot", as in, "This place is my Astronomy bot!"

RBG
2005-Oct-06, 09:37 PM
I wasn't completely clear; I didn't mean "pronounce" as in how would you say it. I probably won't say it much myself; I never actually said "BABB," if I ever talked about it I said "Bad Astronomy bulletin board" or something or the sort. What I meant was, how do you pronounce it in your head, when you read "BAUT?"
:)

Are you saying you read with a different accent than you speak? What accent do you use when you think?

;^) RBG

pumpkinpie
2005-Oct-06, 10:47 PM
Are you saying you read with a different accent than you speak? What accent do you use when you think?

;^) RBG
I could probably never describe it, because once I did it would have been spoken, thus ceased to be a thought! :think:

Maksutov
2005-Oct-07, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by RBG

;^) RBG
I could probably never describe it, because once I did it would have been spoken, thus ceased to be a thought! :think:You could always just write about it... http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Nowhere Man
2005-Oct-07, 01:41 AM
Bee Ay You Tee.

Eh.

Fred

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Oct-07, 02:25 AM
Typically, I Pronounce it, "Bought".

Darn ...

I Feel, SO, American!!!

:razz:

WaxRubiks
2005-Oct-07, 10:26 AM
AstroBabble

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-07, 11:19 AM
I suppose if we wanted to honor the dual ancestry of this forum, we should pronounce it BAH-UTT ! :lol:

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Oct-07, 04:40 PM
I am indian and i like to pronnounce it bauauauauaoooot

genebujold
2005-Oct-07, 05:00 PM
I'm partial to the German pronunciation: Bah-uht, but the normative pronunciation, the one that rhymes with "out" is fine, too.

RBG
2005-Oct-07, 11:11 PM
I was going to suggest that "BAUT" was pronounced "bait", the "au" sounding like the "au" in "gauge", which in these parts is pronounced "gay-j".

I note in the Scribner-Bantam English Dictionary, that among other things, "Bait" is defined as...

1. To set dogs on for sport. (check)
2. To torment, annoy persistently. (check)
3. To lure, entice. (check)

But then it occurred to me that "BAUT" should be pronounced as, well, nothing. And maybe that is appropriate for a forum about space. Notwithstanding space is something; as those of the #2 definition persuasion would surely inform me.

BAUT

pronounce
"b" as in "doubt"
"a" as in "bread"
"u" as in "guide"
"t" as in "gourmet"

RBG

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Oct-07, 11:46 PM
i really dont see what you mean in that last bit

BAUT

pronounce
"b" as in "doubt"
"a" as in "bread"
"u" as in "guide"
"t" as in "gourmet"

RBG
2005-Oct-08, 01:08 AM
When you pronounce the word "BAUT", pronounce the first letter "B" in the exact same way you pronounce the "b" in the common English word: "doubt." Do likewise for the remaining three letters that make up "BAUT":

So first pronounce the
"b" as in the word "doubt"

then pronounce BAUT's second letter
"a" as found in the word: "bread"
the
"u" as in "guide"
and finally the
"t" as in "gourmet"

Take all those letter sounds together and what does the whole word sound like? To me it sounds like nothing.

George Bernard Shaw was supposed to have come up with a new spelling for the word "fish". That being "Ghoti".

He reasoned that the "f" sound in the word "enough" can obviously be spelled as "gh".
And "fish"'s "i" sound could be spelled "o", as found in the word "women". And finally, you've heard the "sh" sound in "fish" in the word "na-ti-on". String those together and you get a word spelled: "ghoti" - but pronounced "fish".

RBG

Disinfo Agent
2005-Oct-08, 12:22 PM
The idea of finding a pronunciation for the forum's acronym is growing on me. I propose "Das Baut" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096/). :D

paulie jay
2005-Oct-08, 12:26 PM
I pronounce it "bout" - like in boxing.

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Oct-08, 12:44 PM
oh RGB I see what you mean now, ... thanks for explaining that is a wicked type of pheonetics..