PDA

View Full Version : Which 4 movies would you

DukePaul
2005-Oct-06, 12:11 AM
You are at your best friends house looking through his/her extensive sci-fi movie collection when you spy some movies YOU TOTALLY DESPISE. Being the good friend you are you toss these most hated movies out the window to save your friend's reputation in your peer group. What four sci-fi movies would meet this criterion? Just to be clear I am not talking the lamest or cheapest effects no I am talking about the ones that get under your skin or irritate your karma or generally make you want to hurl in the direction of the offending movie. Here are a few of my own: ET.....ET ET how I hate thee. Any movie that has the following assets, space people wearing spandex and capes, 5inch tall singing twins, people wearing wigs and skin color to portray natives that they are most certainly not. Any sci-fi movie that makes the audience go "Ahhh how cute", this is a prime signal that it needs to be tossed out the closest window. Am I wrong? Except for Alien and Aliens, any movie with the word "alien" in the title is just going to stink and should be flushed.

James_Digriz
2005-Oct-06, 12:42 AM
The Relic.
Scariest book EVER. Worst movie ever made from a book.

Battlefield Earth.
Great book. Dang. I think this may be the worst movie ever made from a book.

These are the two my father and I always talk about as being the biggest dissapointments ever. Then they do a killer job on LOTR, Hellboy and Spider Man and that just makes it worse.

Faultline
2005-Oct-06, 01:01 AM
Wow! Tough one! Provokes thought.

Star Trek 3, 4, 5, and 7.

3: The search for plot.
4: You can't get George to say "Nuclear Wessels" anymore.
5: Why does God need a spaceship, again?
7: I think they took "String Theory" too literally.

James_Digriz
2005-Oct-06, 01:12 AM
4: You can't get George to say "Nuclear Wessels" anymore.

Hey. I liked 4.

"How do we know he didn't invent the thing in the first place?"

"So this is where he lives? In the park?"
"It's his way."

"So they don't have money in the 23 century either?"
"Well we don't!"

"Are you sure it's not time for a colorfull metaphor Captain?"

fossilnut2
2005-Oct-06, 01:29 AM
Toss out the window.

Lord of the Rings (all of them. YAWN) I'm too old for cliches and talking trees.

Star Wars (and any SF movie with swords)

Space ninjas and similar SF Ju Jitsus

Barbarella

Flesh (not Flash) Gordon

James_Digriz
2005-Oct-06, 02:47 AM
Lord of the Rings (all of them. YAWN) I'm too old for cliches and talking trees.

Flesh (not Flash) Gordon

Cliches? You do know when The Lord of the Rings books were written don't you?
Yeah. Flash Gordon was great. I remember watching it for the first time at my Brazillian friends house back in the 80's while his sister with the great big tracts of land was about in a bikini.

fossilnut2
2005-Oct-06, 05:11 AM
" You do know when The Lord of the Rings books were written don't you?"

Cliche: the plot was written a thousand years ago and is worn and old. You really didn't know how it would end? Hint: the good guys win and the bad guys lose. Cutsy sidekicks and ladies in distress. The same plot can be found in Ivanhoe, Popeye, Hercules and ten thousand other unimaginative plots.

'Goodness' prevails. In LOR, Star Wars,Princess of Mars, etc. 'goodness is always equated with the legitimate return of hereditary privilege and the usurpers (roughians and usurpers) are equated with the forces of darkness.
The irony is that we live in a democracy and disdain the very balanced 'rightful' power bestowed on an elite by privilege of birth. We and the French and the Russians overthrew tyrants (the good guys in these cliches). It's as if the forces of evil (Washington and Jefferson) had to be routed by the goodness (the heirs of George the third and especially his disenfranchised son and beautiful daughter). The fact that they are daughters of kings, and beautiful, gives them a special place in the world. Thousands of soldiers die 'bravely' for the return of their king...I'd say they were fools and, like Washington and Lenin and Robespierre, should have fought on the other side.

GDwarf
2005-Oct-06, 11:21 AM

Cliche: the plot was written a thousand years ago and is worn and old. You really didn't know how it would end? Hint: the good guys win and the bad guys lose. Cutsy sidekicks and ladies in distress. The same plot can be found in Ivanhoe, Popeye, Hercules and ten thousand other unimaginative plots.

'Goodness' prevails. In LOR, Star Wars,Princess of Mars, etc. 'goodness is always equated with the legitimate return of hereditary privilege and the usurpers (roughians and usurpers) are equated with the forces of darkness.
The irony is that we live in a democracy and disdain the very balanced 'rightful' power bestowed on an elite by privilege of birth. We and the French and the Russians overthrew tyrants (the good guys in these cliches). It's as if the forces of evil (Washington and Jefferson) had to be routed by the goodness (the heirs of George the third and especially his disenfranchised son and beautiful daughter). The fact that they are daughters of kings, and beautiful, gives them a special place in the world. Thousands of soldiers die 'bravely' for the return of their king...I'd say they were fools and, like Washington and Lenin and Robespierre, should have fought on the other side.

That, I thik, is mainly becuase all of those are trying to be fairy tales, you have magic (the force in SW), the rather inept hero, and every fairy tale has the beautiful princess that must be rescued. That doesn't hold true now, I must admit, but it's rather like not liking Cinderella because she wants to marry a prince instead of leading a rebellion to instill democracy (Which is, in fact, what the story shifts to in the SWs after IV.)

Lianachan
2005-Oct-06, 01:09 PM

I do think you're grossly underestimating the story The Lord Of The Rings, although I do agree that the films are crap. Can I ask if you've read the books at all?

fossilnut2
2005-Oct-06, 03:32 PM
I read the first book... but read LOR after having read a thousand science fiction books (an exagerration). Maybe 500? I didn't find LOR having much substance to the plot. Unlike others, I found it predictable. More one of those books one is 'suppose' to like rather than actually find riveting. I can understand why a certain group would enjoy the movie...it has all the elements of the over-the-top blockbuster...special effects, black and white characters, action, sympathetic characters, etc. That's just not the type of movie that interests me. I like to be challenged by a plot (and not because I'm a snob. I could watch the Three Stooges all day).

Each to their own when it comes to culture.

Lianachan
2005-Oct-06, 04:26 PM
Each to their own when it comes to culture.

It certainly does. The tone of the LotR books changes considerably as they go on - the first book, and in particular the opening chapters, were written with merely being a sequel to The Hobbit in mind. I don't think it's fair to judge the entire set just based on reading the first volume.

Having said that, I'm a great big hippocrite because I can't stand the Dune books, having only read some of the first one! The Nazgul on my avatar will probably hint that when it comes to Tolkien, I'm a bit of an enthusiast.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Oct-06, 05:11 PM
I can't stand the Dune books, having only read some of the first one!

Same story with me. It just didn't hook me.

Argos
2005-Oct-06, 05:13 PM
.Dune (they spoiled the greatness of the original novel)
.Loganīs Run (too trash)
.Contact (the screenplay derails in the end)
.Zardoz (is it sci-fi?)

Faultline
2005-Oct-06, 07:13 PM
Hey. I liked [Star Trek] 4.

"It's his way."

"Well we don't!"

It's also the movie where Scotty insisted on the added complexity of getting clear aluminum. Sounds like a luxury in a crisis situation.

You can't claim the CLEAR aluminum was lighter, therefore needed because of weight constraints, because it's negligible compared to several thousand tons of water and two humpback whales!

Here's my friend's list:

Matrix Revolutions: I'm blind, but I can see Smith anyway?
Dracula 3000: It put my girlfriend to sleep.
The Silent Earth: And anything else MST3K did.
Species: Pick one.

Taks
2005-Oct-06, 07:41 PM
It's also the movie where Scotty insisted on the added complexity of getting clear aluminum. Sounds like a luxury in a crisis situation.uh, no, they didn't use clear aluminum in the movie. he simply gave the formula of clear aluminum (or the beginning physics) to the guy that had plexiglass for sale (er, barter). they used plexiglass in the ship, very thick plexiglass, IIRC. of course, given the little knowledge of particle interactions that i have, i do understand why this is a silly proposition even in the future. :)

anyway, i agree, dune was horrid. i disagree about LotR, however, as i thought the movies were actually better than the books. read 'em all, liked 'em, but don't think much of tolkein as a writer (he was actually a linguist). hard to pick out 3 more bad movies... there are sooooo many.

taks

Peteman
2005-Oct-06, 07:48 PM
Dracula 3000 wasn't even Mockable! Graah!
Star Crystal: BORING!
Wing Commander: The Mocking Reviews I found on BadMovies.org were more entertaining and engaging (though the mocking reviews were very engaging)

Not SF but: Dungeons and Dragons. At least the mock factor is there though. Man, you know Jeremy Irons was trying to ham it up in that (unless he was actually acting the way the character is supposed to be portrayed... ew)

Gillianren
2005-Oct-06, 08:12 PM
The Silent Earth: And anything else MST3K did.

um . . . that's This Island Earth, in fact.

I wouldn't throw out a friend's movies. I consider it rude.

but a few words on Tolkein, while I have your attention.

I have friends who genuinely love LotR. I've read about 85 pages of the first book. I could go no farther, and I have special dispensation not to. I consider Tolkein to be like fruitcake--it's heavy and dense and an acquired taste, which not everyone acquires, but which those who have seem determined to pass on to everyone they know. also, most people can only take small amounts of it about once a year.

ToSeek
2005-Oct-06, 08:27 PM
I consider Tolkein to be like fruitcake--it's heavy and dense and an acquired taste, which not everyone acquires, but which those who have seem determined to pass on to everyone they know. also, most people can only take small amounts of it about once a year.

Oooh, try Mervyn Peake, and Tolkien will seem like a souffle in comparison. ;)

Taks
2005-Oct-06, 11:43 PM
of course, my favorite book of all time is hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, probably the only compendium i've ever read, too. my literary tastes are typically described as IEEE technical papers and none of the above. :)

taks

Taks
2005-Oct-06, 11:44 PM
oh, i liked the HHGttG the movie as well.

taks

Faultline
2005-Oct-07, 12:12 AM
I forgot how bad Wing Commander was. The game (the one with Mark Skywalker) was better, but it had some really bad physics in it.

I distinctly recall a mission involving a planet that orbited... a QUASAR! And because of that, there was no possible communications in or out.

Is that the only problem? Heck! Set my summer home up there! Sometimes, I don't want to be reached.

Van Rijn
2005-Oct-07, 12:42 AM
I forgot how bad Wing Commander was. The game (the one with Mark Skywalker) was better, but it had some really bad physics in it.
I distinctly recall a mission involving a planet that orbited... a QUASAR! And because of that, there was no possible communications in or out.

The Wing Commander games were fantastic, especially I and II (pre- Mark Hamill). At the time, they were revolutionary: the missions were surrounded by a complex background story that felt like a movie. It really put you into the story in a way that hadn't been done before, very different from text adventures. The disk requirements were astonishing - at a time when you were limited to 32 MB partitions, the game could use up the majority of a partition! (On the other hand, it was possible to run Wing Commander I on a 10 mhz AT clone, though very, very slowly. It was plenty fast enough on a 40 mhz 386, and a bit too fast on a 133 mhz Pentium.)

Okay, sure, the game physics didn't stand up too well with reality. Still, the early WC games rank in the top ten on my personal list of all-time great computer games.

So about the movie: It was much worse than the games ... I mean, spacecraft "screaming" while making bombing runs? And they even had the characters wrong - everyone knows Angel has a strong French accent, after all!

For all that, as stupid as it was, as wrong as it was, I still liked that silly movie. If I hadn't liked the games so much, I'm sure I would have absolutely hated it, but there you go.

Faultline
2005-Oct-08, 05:07 PM
Is it too late to toss out Terminator 3?

T1: Cool! Different! Original!
T2: Same as above, just kick it up another notch!
T3: Nothing new (big yawn).

DukePaul
2005-Oct-08, 07:00 PM
Now I know there are some of you who like Solaris. Boring....and did I mention it is boring. Futureworld. Now here is one if you see it in someone's library be a friend and dispose of it quickly. Barb Wire, Lawnmowerman 2, and God forbid this one : Meteor. All out the window to shatter into pieces.

hippietrekx
2005-Oct-08, 09:13 PM
Hey. I liked 4.

"It's his way."

"Well we don't!"

Don't forget: "This is my friend... He did some heavy LDS in the '60's.":lol:

mid
2005-Oct-10, 10:59 AM
My friend lives in Alameda. I'm pretty certain that he, more than most people, would like to confiscate my laserdisc and remastered DVD of Star Trek 4. I, however, love it.