PDA

View Full Version : Forum Upgraded

Fraser
2005-Oct-09, 03:48 AM
I just upgraded the forum from version 3.08 to 3.5. This will inevitably cause some bugs. Tell me if you see them.

Wolverine
2005-Oct-09, 02:49 PM
Yay for upgrades! So far so smooth here, cookies included...

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-09, 04:30 PM
I'm suddenly seeing a lot of strange tags on the edit window (when I reply with quote). Also, it no longer seems to work when I highlight a section of text and hit the Italic/Bold button. It is nice to have the smilies more accessible. Hmmm... just tried to use those accessible smilies. Nothing happens when I click on them, and I can't open the drop-down lists from the toolbar. Something's badly broken here. I'm going to try changing my editor option and then changing it back.

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-09, 04:35 PM
Nope, didn't work. None of the editing features works, including the toolbars, smilies, or anything. In fact, even the carriage returns I put into the previous post disappeared and turned the post into one long paragraph. Help!

Candy
2005-Oct-09, 05:30 PM
Did someone say Smilies?:dance:

Wolverine
2005-Oct-09, 05:34 PM
There have been smilies the whole time.

Wolverine
2005-Oct-09, 05:35 PM
Nope, didn't work. None of the editing features works, including the toolbars, smilies, or anything. In fact, even the carriage returns I put into the previous post disappeared and turned the post into one long paragraph. Help!

Weird, I haven't had any issues. What browser are you using?

Candy
2005-Oct-09, 05:37 PM
There have been smilies the whole time.
Really? I never saw them. Hey, now they are gone. Okay, I need a nap.

I'm looking in the Preview Post.

Candy
2005-Oct-09, 05:40 PM
Okay, never mind. It looks like I can only see them when I click Go Advanced.:doh:

Carry on!

Wolverine
2005-Oct-09, 05:43 PM
Really? I never saw them. Hey, now they are gone. Okay, I need a nap.

I'm looking in the Preview Post.

:question::exclaim::p

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Oct-09, 06:15 PM
The smilies no longer appear in the "Quick Reply" form. You have to go to the Advanced editor to use them.

Andromeda321
2005-Oct-09, 06:20 PM
For some reason when I logged on today every single post was marked as "new." Not really a bug and I'm sure it'll go away, but I'm wondering if that happened to anyone else.

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-09, 08:35 PM
Weird, I haven't had any issues. What browser are you using?Firefox. I'll fire up IE and see if that makes a difference.

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-09, 08:44 PM
Firefox. I'll fire up IE and see if that makes a difference.Well, it would appear it's a Firefox problem with the new version of the vBulletin. Everything seems to work OK in IE.

Paragraphs

Smilies: :sick: :boohoo:

Italics and bold

Text color

Embedded quotes

I notice that when I preview there's no longer a "Submit Reply" button at the bottom of the preview, just at the bottom of the edit screen. Does that seem right to you?

Wolverine
2005-Oct-09, 08:51 PM
Well, it would appear it's a Firefox problem with the new version of the vBulletin. Everything seems to work OK in IE.

I notice that when I preview there's no longer a "Submit Reply" button at the bottom of the preview, just at the bottom of the edit screen. Does that seem right to you?
I'm composing this in FireFox 1.0.7 and have yet to experience any problem between it and the upgraded vBull. Could there be an errant AdBlock setting/wildcard entered or some sort of specialilzed extension yielding the conflict? Not sure of the likelihood concerning the latter, just fishing for ideas; at last count I'm running 17 extensions without issue.

Edited to add (almost forgot): Which interface are you using here on the board? On the WYSIWYG incarnation the preview & submit buttons display and function properly.

Musashi
2005-Oct-09, 08:52 PM
Does that seem right to you?

Heh!

I liked having the links to the forum at the bottom of the page, but that is gone too.

Wolverine
2005-Oct-09, 09:13 PM
Addendum: I just went through and tested all three available interfaces, and they each work with FireFox 1.0.7 on my end.

Jorge
2005-Oct-09, 09:39 PM
when you leave afther reading the posts that interest you...
and comming back like 4h later, the post you didn't read are marked as new.

They used to be marked as read.

Maksutov
2005-Oct-09, 11:37 PM
Heh!

I liked having the links to the forum at the bottom of the page, but that is gone too.You mean the links in blue like this

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8231/bautlinks11ss.th.jpg (http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bautlinks11ss.jpg)

that now appear once again only at the top of the page?

Yeah, I noticed they were gone too. A number of us petitioned for their addition to the bottom of each page, to eliminate the need to always scroll to the top of the page (some of which can be quite lengthy) in order to go elsewhere on the BAUT.

Sure hope that modification can be restored.

Andromeda321
2005-Oct-10, 12:19 AM
Yea I just came back and every single post is still marked as new. Odd.

Musashi
2005-Oct-10, 12:20 AM
Yeah, Mak, those ones.

I use the "home" key to jump to the top now, but it was easier to just hit the link at the bottom.

Adding info edit:

Under the Quick Links menu near the top is a "Mark Forums as Read" there is also a command inside each forum to mark just that one read.

ToSeek
2005-Oct-10, 12:51 AM
Yea I just came back and every single post is still marked as new. Odd.

People complained that after being online for 15 minutes, all threads were marked as read whether they'd gotten to them or not. I think the setting now is that a thread will stay marked as unread until you either read it or mark it as read. Also, the upgrade reset a lot of the read flags, so a lot of threads that you had read are now marked as unread.

On the main page at the top, under "Quick Links" there's a "Mark Forums As Read" option. That's probably what you want to use once you've read everything you want to read.

Tensor
2005-Oct-10, 12:54 AM
I'm having an editing problem. When I click on the quote button when answering a post the right mouse click to bring up the edit menu, no longer has the commands "copy" and "cut" in the menu. I still have paste, which is interesting as I can't cut anything to paste. The quick reply right click brings up the copy and cut commands. Interesting.

iceman
2005-Oct-10, 02:36 AM
In vb3.5, the thread will stay marked as unread until you have either actually read it, or marked the forum as read.

Fraser
2005-Oct-10, 04:06 AM
I'll be restoring some of the interface modifications I made to the forum, but I had to reset everything with the upgrade. Patience... patience.

Kaptain K
2005-Oct-10, 06:22 AM
I like it! Before, I had to make sure I had set aside enough time to read the whole board (at least the fora I was interested in) or risk having all fora I hadn't gotten to yet marked as "read". Now, I can take a quick look on the way out the door, knowing that all unread posts will remain so until I get back!
Thank you!

Matthew
2005-Oct-10, 12:07 PM
I like it too. Formatting in the quick reply box. But it was a big shock signing on and having so many threads "unread".

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-10, 12:56 PM
The change in the way threads are marked as read is a HUGE improvement, thanks!

I'd just like to point out that the problem with the editor function does not seem to be exclusively with Firefox; in the Bug Bin thread Sticks says he's seeing it with IE too.

Here, it went away completely when I switched to IE, but I'd prefer to use FF if we get a solution.

NEOWatcher
2005-Oct-10, 01:19 PM
The change in the way threads are marked as read is a HUGE improvement, thanks!
SNIP
Just got on after the weekend, I hope what you're saying is true. It was very frustrating when my normal job got me sidetracked (or is that maintracked).
Also, I hope that this is only a conversion problem... Everthing 10 days old (to the minute) was unread for me this morning.

Donnie B.
2005-Oct-10, 04:41 PM
Just got on after the weekend, I hope what you're saying is true. It was very frustrating when my normal job got me sidetracked (or is that maintracked).
Also, I hope that this is only a conversion problem... Everthing 10 days old (to the minute) was unread for me this morning.Right. Catch up with what you need to, then use Quick Links / Mark Forums Read and you'll be up to date.

Swift
2005-Oct-10, 06:33 PM
I seem to be having problems with the upgrade. None of the formatting buttons or the smilie buttons are working in the editor. I have tried this with both the "standard" editor (which I was using before) and the WYSIWYG editor. They appear on the screen, but they don't do anything. If I put the formatting in by hand (square brackets and all) the formatting seems to work.I'm using IE6.

Fraser
2005-Oct-10, 07:34 PM
I wonder if you have a certain editor set in your User CP. Try changing your editor settings and see if that works. Try different ones to see which one you like best.

Swift
2005-Oct-10, 08:43 PM
I wonder if you have a certain editor set in your User CP. Try changing your editor settings and see if that works. Try different ones to see which one you like best.
I did that. I originally (pre-upgrade) had the standard editor and switched just to see if the WYSIWYG helped. But now the buttons are working!

bold
italics
:clap:
Curiouser and curiouser said Alice

Edited to add that when I switched back to the standard editor, they still work. I'm confused, but things are good so...