PDA

View Full Version : BA on a cereal packet!

badprof
2005-Oct-10, 06:05 PM
Hi all,

Started a new box of cereal this morning. In the process I see the back is about astronomy. (good) Actually, some reasonable stuff there, such as with using binoculars you can see craters on the Moon. Then I found this one..... "With your eyes only, you can see another galaxy that is 2 1/2 light years away. :eek:

Groan! I suppose they thought that seemed a long way away!

:wall:

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Oct-10, 06:41 PM
Well, they're right!

TriangleMan
2005-Oct-10, 06:52 PM
Yep. If another galaxy was only 2.5 light-years away you wouldn't have much trouble seeing it. :D

Swift
2005-Oct-10, 07:15 PM
What cereal was this? Was it Lucky Charms - they have marshmellow moons and stars. ;)

aurora
2005-Oct-10, 07:53 PM
I assume that they dropped the word "million" from the sentence, since the Andromeda Galaxy is roughly 2.5 million lightyears away, and if you know where to look you can see it naked eye.

Thanatos
2005-Oct-12, 07:46 AM
I vote with aurora. 2.5 light years away doesn't even make it to alpha centauri.

Champion_Munch
2005-Oct-12, 11:52 AM
I kinda expected this topic to be about the BA on a cereal packet... :P

with regards

publiusr
2005-Oct-12, 08:48 PM
If we were a parsec or so from the center of Andromeda--we'd be very near its supermassive BH.

So that is the Great Galactic Ghoul! ;)

badprof
2005-Oct-13, 01:23 AM

I just had visions of trying to eat my breakfast while having the BA staring at me from the packet..............

No comment...... I like being on this board too much! :D :silenced: :shifty:

Cheers

(ducking for cover!!!)

Josh
2005-Oct-13, 01:39 AM
Well, as long as he's not on a milk carton, it's all good.

Dr Nigel
2005-Oct-13, 07:57 AM
I guess you could print out the BA's photo from his website and then stick it wherever you please.

Oh, no, hang on a sec... That came out a little bit wrong. I hope the intended meaning is deducible.

Champion Munch - ah, yes, because we all use the abbreviation BA to mean both Bad Astronomy and The Bad Astronomer. I was a little puzzled, too.

Since my first reading of the BA website, I've started seeing bad astronomy all over the place. And lots of other bad science, too.

mickal555
2005-Oct-16, 09:41 PM

with regards

yea same :lol:

paulie jay
2005-Oct-17, 06:28 AM
What cereal was this? Was it Lucky Charms - they have marshmellow moons and stars. ;)
I'm guessing Weet-Bix - am I right Mickal?

mickal555
2005-Oct-17, 08:59 AM
nope- it's vita-bits ;)

paulie jay
2005-Oct-17, 03:32 PM
Man, that's as close as you can get - I'm gonna call it a "hit" :)

Monique
2005-Oct-17, 07:28 PM
Thread is not about picture of bad astronomer on cereal packet. [sigh] :(

Champion_Munch
2005-Oct-18, 10:38 AM
Mick, were you at a science lecture thingy in the city today? A mate of mine who was in a paltalk chatroom once reckons a guy who sounds just like you asked a question there today.

with regards

Chuck
2005-Oct-19, 04:28 AM
Here's some bad astronomy on a cracker box. I think I posted this a couple of years ago, but there's a whole new forum of people here now.

http://chuckgaydos.homestead.com/files/ritzback.jpg

mickal555
2005-Oct-21, 07:52 AM
Mick, were you at a science lecture thingy in the city today? A mate of mine who was in a paltalk chatroom once reckons a guy who sounds just like you asked a question there today.

with regards

nope

I was at my astronomy club meeting... at chermside though

LurchGS
2005-Nov-22, 06:11 AM
I vote we all write to General Mills (I think it is) and politely demand that they put THE BA on the front of the Wheaties box!

(and any 'NAY' vote from The BA, or any of his family will be ignored)