PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Nowhere Man
2005-Oct-11, 04:22 PM
Took myself out to see this last night. It's a typically surreal W&G film, with a few more funny-looking characters, and lots of laughs. Go see it, you'll like it.

The only bad astronomy in it is that it seems to be a full moon for several days, and at one point, the full moon appears to be high in the sky soon after sunset. But that's mainly to drive the plot, I guess.

BTW, keep an eye out for sight gags. I liked the jar of "Middle Age Spread" on the breakfast table.

Fred

peter eldergill
2005-Oct-11, 07:19 PM
I noticed, however that the full moon did look pretty much like the real thing....I did notice, however that it certainly was full for about 4 days (until the festival?)

Enjoyed it very much, but I think I still preferred "The Wrong Trousers"

Way better than chiken run, though

Pete

Gillianren
2005-Oct-11, 07:26 PM
I liked that Gromit went to "Dogwarts," especially given that Ralph Fiennes, who voiced Victor the villain, will be Lord Voldemort in the next movie.

and, yes, the moon bothered me, too. still, it was very cute. (and I was the only person in the admittedly pretty empty theatre who got the Run, Rabbit, Run reference.)

EvilBob
2005-Oct-12, 05:53 AM
I'd forgotten the 'Middle-Aged Spread' gag. I really liked Wallace's books - 'Fromage to Eternity', 'Grated Expectations', 'East of Edam'... Great movie! I haven't giggled so much in a long time...

Halcyon Dayz
2005-Oct-12, 11:21 AM
Must see...

Strabo
2005-Oct-15, 08:03 PM
I noticed, however that the full moon did look pretty much like the real thing....I did notice, however that it certainly was full for about 4 days (until the festival?)

Enjoyed it very much, but I think I still preferred "The Wrong Trousers"

Way better than chiken run, though

Pete

Really? Chicken Run was great, I've watched it several times. And if TCotWR is better than that, I'll have to see it. (It's on my 'to watch' list already. But most of the movies on that list never get wtached, I'm not a very enthusiastic movie watcher.)

Of course, I could be reading to much into that. If you thought Chicken Run was rubbish, it's not much of a reccomendation.

On the subject of visual gags, I'm reminded of the scene in CHocken Run when the pilot is preparing is preparing to fly the plane and he goes "Chocs away!" And the chocks are removed from in front of the plane's wheels, and you can see that they're Toblerones.

Gillianren
2005-Oct-15, 08:38 PM
Really? Chicken Run was great, I've watched it several times. And if TCotWR is better than that, I'll have to see it. (It's on my 'to watch' list already. But most of the movies on that list never get wtached, I'm not a very enthusiastic movie watcher.)

Of course, I could be reading to much into that. If you thought Chicken Run was rubbish, it's not much of a reccomendation.

I quite liked Chicken Run--this, however, was better.

Sticks
2005-Oct-17, 05:08 AM
[Text deleted by moderator since it's duplicated in a more appropriate location.]

Tog
2005-Oct-17, 06:43 AM
Saw it the other night as well. Aside from the perma full Moon, it also seemed to shine down that same narrow little doorway for a long time...

Aside from that I thought it was a great movie. Nice, mostly mindless fun

Eirik
2005-Oct-17, 10:05 PM
Saw it the other night as well. Aside from the perma full Moon, it also seemed to shine down that same narrow little doorway for a long time...

That reminds me of one of the later Mystery Science Theater episodes where they did "Werewolf". The full moon hung around so long that they kept mentioning it whenever they showed it. "Fourth straight day for the full moon..."

DataCable
2005-Oct-18, 04:15 AM
Need I remind everyone that in the W&G universe, the moon actually is made of cheese? :whistle:

Sticks
2005-Oct-18, 04:57 AM
[Text deleted by moderator since it's duplicated in a more appropriate location.]

I would have deleted this myself, but I thought that it had been up for a while before I discovered my error, it would be against the rules :(

If we have discovered that we have posted in a thread instead of creating a new one as I thought I had done, are we at liberty to delete our own post once we have moved it to the correct location?

Need I remind everyone that in the W&G universe, the moon actually is made of cheese? :whistle:

And they can get to the moon and back on a bank holiday afternoon. (I know this would be totally impossible due to traffic congestion on the M6)

Jakenorrish
2005-Oct-18, 08:19 AM
I saw this on the weekend. It was a terrific film full of fun for adults and children alike. The script was tight, the pacing excellent and the jokes frequent and often hilarious.

I hope that the major Hollywood studios take head from this and realise that you can have all the CGI's in the world, your film can look clever, but without a story with a bit of depth, your film will be lacking. Too many kids films lately have gone for style over substance. This film has the balance perfect.

parallaxicality
2005-Oct-18, 08:30 AM
Saw it yesterday and can safely say that I preferred Chicken Run. Better story, better characters, better music, better sets. This was nice and all, but Chicken Run was better.

So now Strabo has a range of opinions. :)

Swift
2005-Oct-18, 01:16 PM
I hope that the major Hollywood studios take head from this and realise that you can have all the CGI's in the world, your film can look clever, but without a story with a bit of depth, your film will be lacking. Too many kids films lately have gone for style over substance. This film has the balance perfect.
Don't hold your breath. ;)

ToSeek
2005-Oct-18, 02:11 PM
I would have deleted this myself, but I thought that it had been up for a while before I discovered my error, it would be against the rules :(

If we have discovered that we have posted in a thread instead of creating a new one as I thought I had done, are we at liberty to delete our own post once we have moved it to the correct location?

I wouldn't have any problems with that, though you might check to see if anyone's responded to it. If so, you can ask a moderator to move that post over as well.

kucharek
2005-Oct-22, 06:08 PM
Sometimes, they catch the wrong Were-Rabbit...

Darasen
2005-Oct-24, 07:59 PM
I saw this on the weekend. It was a terrific film full of fun for adults and children alike. The script was tight, the pacing excellent and the jokes frequent and often hilarious.

I have been saying for a while now that Pixar makes better Films than Disney's animation studio.

jja
2005-Oct-24, 10:20 PM
I admit to being irritated at one gadget that Wallace built (I won't name it as it might be considered a spoiler, but it's the device that causes the main plot problem). I had been used to thinking of Wallace's inventions as being oddball and unnecessarily complex, but still grounded at some point in practical physics (excepting perhaps the moon rocket). The device in question struck me as a Mad Scientist's gizmo which was out of character with Wallace's Dotty Engineer persona... After the movie, though, I repeated a calming mantra that I learned elsewhere: "It's just a show, I should really just relax." %?)

Two gags I appreciated:

Obscure: At one point, someone turns on a radio and plays a clip of "Bright Eyes" by Simon and Garfunkel. This song is used in the movie of Watership Down, which features rabbits as the main characters.

Not so obscure: In the first scene where the Vicar appears, there is a stained glass window behind him which shows several angels blowing their horns over the heads of the three wise men and the baby Jesus. The wise men are plugging their ears and looking angrily up at the angels, and the baby is screaming...

Gillianren
2005-Oct-25, 01:58 AM
I have been saying for a while now that Pixar makes better Films than Disney's animation studio.

Maybe so, though it would have to be pointed out that a fair number of Pixar films are also Disney films, but Wallace and Gromit isn't Pixar, either.

Cylinder
2005-Oct-31, 01:52 AM
I took Julian (my just-turned-four-year-old) tonight for her very first movie. Great kid's flick.

What shocked me the most was the amount of sexual innuendo in the film - especially as related to Tottie's secret garden. It was tasteful and well hidden, though, so I still recommend the film even for very small children.

Is this sort of double entrende the norm for W&G?

EvilBob
2005-Oct-31, 04:28 AM
That shocked you? I had to think really hard to remember what innuendo there was.... Pretty tame, in my opinion. But no, I've never noticed sexual innuendo in W&G before. The only love interest previously was Wendolen in 'A Close Shave', and that was pretty coy...

Cylinder
2005-Oct-31, 04:39 AM
Maybe shocked is too strong a word. It was quite surprising at any rate. I admit to not paying attention to the rating. If you play close attention to the scene in which Lady Tottenham unveils her secret garden ("I'm going to show to you what no man has seen before") you'll find a few lines of double entendre - the obligatory melons reference and the point at which Tottie laments the antagonist's lack of interest thereof among others.

The film was rated G by CARA, so it is a bit suprising, IMO. Again - it does not detract from the film in the least. It was just - well - suprising.

EvilBob
2005-Oct-31, 05:39 AM
I can see what you mean, but having been brought up on British comedy, references to Melons and the like tend not to faze me in the least, so I didn't notice enough to remember them afterwards!

Sticks
2005-Oct-31, 06:04 AM
How come the film censors did not spot this :mad:

captain swoop
2005-Oct-31, 10:44 AM
It's standard british humour! If you are ever at a British Seaside resort have a look at the Bamfords comic Postcards!!!

Most prime time TV sitcoms have far more than the W & G film!

Weird Dave
2005-Oct-31, 02:02 PM
How come the film censors did not spot this :mad:
I assume they let it go because it didn't teach a child anything they didn't know already. E.g. there was a joke about Wallace's nuts. If you didn't know "nuts" had any sort of rude meaning, you wouldn't learn any such meaning from the joke. If you are already corrupted enough to snigger at a joke about nuts, there is no point trying to protect you from the reference.

It's not like they were using swear words a child might not have heard before.