PDA

View Full Version : "Elf" spotted from Columbia

nebularain
2003-Jan-21, 05:31 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/01/20/space.shuttle.ap/index.html

A pair of cameras aboard Columbia have captured video images of an elf -- a luminous red, bagel-shaped, electrical phenomenon that occurs above a thunderstorm in less than a millisecond, said Yoav Yair, an atmospheric scientist at the Open University of Israel in Tel Aviv.

These are the first scientific images of an elf ever recorded from space, and they were captured by chance, Yair said.

I hope APOD gets a copy to display!

Sheki
2003-Jan-21, 05:40 PM
Never failing to miss the point, CNN takes this opportunity to show us a picture of David Brown, rather than the exciting phenomenon in question.

<sarcasm>
Nice work CNN
<sarcasm>

Sheki

irony
2003-Jan-22, 12:08 AM
Oh, come on. Who do they think they're fooling? Sorry, CNN, but I know an elf when I see one, and that guy is definitely not an elf.

g99
2003-Jan-22, 12:45 AM
Actually CNN's morning episode did mention this. Not on the transcript, but they mentioned what it was for about a 30 second segment.

John Kierein
2003-Jan-22, 12:24 PM
I and a couple guys from MSFC speculated that the conductive tether deployed from the shuttle that suffered a burn through had been hit by an elf or sprite from an upward lightning strike. The tether could have acted as a big lightning rod. We looked at where the shuttle was at the time and where the thunderstorms were. The shuttle was over the eastern pacific near SA. There were some some storms over SA but they were several hundred miles away. The burn through was probably caused by currents generated from either cutting through the earth's magnetic field or static buildup from the upper ionosphere. The currents were much larger than had been predicted. The burn through caused the tether to break and make an unplanned release of the satellite at the end.

Donnie B.
2003-Jan-22, 10:01 PM
On 2003-01-21 19:08, irony wrote:
Oh, come on. Who do they think they're fooling? Sorry, CNN, but I know an elf when I see one, and that guy is definitely not an elf.

Agreed. He doesn't look a bit like Liv Tyler.