PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to see Joss Whedon do Star Trek?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Oct-12, 06:12 PM
He seems to be competent. Thoughts? Would you like to see Joss Whedon do a Star Trek movie?

Moose
2005-Oct-12, 06:26 PM
Hmm. I think I'd rather see him do a(nother) Firefly movie. It's a story that needs further developping.

Gullible Jones
2005-Oct-12, 07:29 PM
It wouldn't be Trek, because the whole universe would have to be rewritten.

Matherly
2005-Oct-12, 07:31 PM
Joss' characters are much to0 smart-alecy for me to see him doing any of the current Trek.

I suppose he could do a new Trek, but much like Moose, I'd rather see him do more Firefly/Serenity (or something in the Buffyverse)

Peteman
2005-Oct-12, 08:07 PM
Yeah, he might be able to do something involving set in the Star Trek universe, but it would have to be something removed from the main series.

Personally, I can see a zany Ferengi based sitcom, but only as a miniseries.

weatherc
2005-Oct-12, 10:58 PM
No. I would like to see somebody come up with something new, original, and exciting, instead of just rehashing the same, tired, old Trek nonsense. I don't see how anyone with any kind of vision or even the slightest spark of creativity would even want to do another Trek series. From what I can tell, Joss Whedon does have some vision and creativity, so it is (thankfully) unlikely that he would do something as uninspired as doing yet another Trek. If anything, Whedon's style is the antithesis of Trek's nicey-nice Federation and it's group hug, feel-good, if-we-only-understood-each-other-it-would-all-be-better, saccharine mentality.

Trek is over. Stick a fork in it, it's done. :boohoo:

[monty python mode]It's passed on. This show is no more. It's ceased to be. It has expired. The show has gone to meet its maker. This is a late show. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace.[/monty python mode]

If people are still so attached to Trek, let them watch the old episodes. I'm tired of seeing stuff set in the Trek universe, and I want to see something new. Hopefully, TV executives realize that other people want this too, but I'm not holding my breath; the lack of creativity in the media is the reason that I don't watch much TV anymore, and also why I only go to see one or two movies per year, if that (and even less now that Lord of the Rings is over).

And this whole rant isn't just because I don't like Trek; I also wouldn't want to see a dozen incarnations of any other show. As much as I enjoyed Babylon 5, I don't want to see Babylon 5: Centauri, Babylon 5: Med-Lab, or Babylon 5: What Sheridan Had for Breakfast Every Day. There are so many possibilities in science fiction, and I feel that too few of them have been explored on film and on TV. It's time for something new.

Fraser
2005-Oct-12, 11:44 PM
Yeah, RIP Trek. I'd prefer Whedon worked on whatever interests him.

James_Digriz
2005-Oct-13, 02:37 AM
There are so many possibilities in science fiction, and I feel that too few of them have been explored on film and on TV. It's time for something new.

Just like vidio games though, the guys who spend the money are afraid to take chances on anything new. Look how fast Firefly got cancelled and it is one of my favorite Sci-Fi series. It feels more real when stuff is breaking down and smoking (Star Wars, Serenity) as opposed to always being sqeaky clean (Star Trek).

Launch window
2005-Oct-13, 04:09 AM
Whedon do a Star Trek movie?

there's no doubt he's got skill with sci fi,
but there would be uproar as Whendon murders the main trek characters to add his hallmark of tension, death & drama

Moose
2005-Oct-13, 11:13 AM
but there would be uproar as Whendon murders the main trek characters to add his hallmark of tension, death & drama

! . o O ( Riker. Troi. Wesley. Hmm. This has possibilities. )
:eh:

Is it too late to change my answer? :razz:

weatherc
2005-Oct-13, 12:18 PM
but there would be uproar as Whendon murders the main trek characters...[SNIP]
Actually, with that in mind, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to let Whedon do Trek after all...

Nah, it still shouldn't be done.

gethen
2005-Oct-13, 01:50 PM
And the first casualty would have to be Wesley Crusher. Maybe we should dust off that old BABB thread about creative ways to kill Crusher off.

Moose
2005-Oct-13, 01:58 PM
And the first casualty would have to be Wesley Crusher. Maybe we should dust off that old BABB thread about creative ways to kill Crusher off.

Simple enough. Use the words "fire at will" in Worf's hearing. Later, at the tribunal, you can chalk up both deaths to an unexpected (but serendipidous) cultural misunderstanding. Bank shot.

novaderrik
2005-Oct-14, 01:57 AM
i think that if they make a new Trek series or movie, Mel Brooks should be at the helm.
at least then there would be some entertaining musical numbers at random places. then, later on, it could be made into a Broadway musical, and then as a movie based on the Broadway musical that was based on the movie..

Phoenix Feet
2005-Oct-14, 01:13 PM
If anything, Whedon's style is the antithesis of Trek's nicey-nice Federation and it's group hug, feel-good, if-we-only-understood-each-other-it-would-all-be-better, saccharine mentality.

Maybe he could take it another 70 years ahead and portray a Federation so ugly and corrupt that it needs overthrowing by an idealistic young captain...

What "minority in command" haven't they covered yet?

Doodler
2005-Oct-14, 03:24 PM
A non-human.

As for the original post. BBP, don't play with my emotions like this, its cruel. :D

TobiasTheViking
2005-Oct-14, 04:01 PM
J. Michael Straczynski was once in talk about doing a series in the Star Trek universe. With a good arc and all.

Currently, with the demise of Enterprise and the franchise in general, it has been put on the back burner till no earlier than 2007 i believe. At which point he will have time again, and they might be interested again.

Personally i would much rather see a Star Trek series J. Michael Straczynski than Joss Whedon. Actually, i would much prefer to see any movie/series from J. Michael Straczynski than from Joss Whedon.

That isn't to say i don't like him, i love most of what Whedon have done, and Serenity was seminal. But i feel JMS is better.

But that is, of course, an opinion.

Sincerely
Tobias

Doodler
2005-Oct-14, 08:07 PM
Even JMS has his bad days, take Legend of the Rangers, for instance.

TobiasTheViking
2005-Oct-16, 03:29 PM
Even JMS has his bad days, take Legend of the Rangers, for instance.
Granted, but it had potential.

As a pilot it wasn't much worse than The Gathering. And The Gathering turned out pretty well didn't it.

Also, if you are gonna judge by pilots, the original Buffy pilot(the 22 min one with different willow) was horrible, totally horrible. To the extend that the original Buffy pilot compared to the Legend of the Rangers pilot, is the same as the animated LOTR movie compared to the new live action LOTR movies.

So, by your argument, Whedon would still be worse :D

But of course you can't really argue like that, so the point is moot, i still wanted to state it though.

Charly
2005-Oct-16, 10:13 PM
I liked the animated LotR!!!!

Whats wrong with it????

It didnt have Arwen mucking about on a horse, thats for sure!

Gemini
2005-Oct-17, 02:57 AM
Trek is dead long, live Serenity

ironpirate
2005-Oct-17, 08:14 PM
Well, If he did Star Trek, I'd like to see it be some old washed up Maqi ship and crew, or some capt who got fed up with the Federation and broke out on his own, smuggling and generally ****ing off the authorities.

Doodler
2005-Oct-17, 08:48 PM
Granted, but it had potential.

As a pilot it wasn't much worse than The Gathering. And The Gathering turned out pretty well didn't it.

Also, if you are gonna judge by pilots, the original Buffy pilot(the 22 min one with different willow) was horrible, totally horrible. To the extend that the original Buffy pilot compared to the Legend of the Rangers pilot, is the same as the animated LOTR movie compared to the new live action LOTR movies.

So, by your argument, Whedon would still be worse :D

But of course you can't really argue like that, so the point is moot, i still wanted to state it though.

Actually, I thought The Gathering was a bit more polished than the series in those first couple seasons. The ambiance of the pilot felt MUCH more detailed and intricate than the series ended up being. While the characters were certainly lacking any of the development that would later come through the story, it most definitely sold the concept of the series hook line and sinker. Even "A Call to Arms" that introduced Crusade carried over that feeling of "I've got a story for you" that The Gathering captured.

Legend of the Rangers felt a lot more directionless. The epic feel just didn't get carried through like the others.

Where I was going in my comparison was that by the time of LOTR (interesting coincidence, ya think?), JMS's story felt a little empty, like he was getting near the point where B & B delved shamelessly with Star Trek. Like he was trying to run up the score more than develop some new and different aspect of the story.

Joss with Serenity reminds me of JMS right as B5 was struggling for place on the schedule in Season 3-4, when he put it all on the line to keep the story strong. Where JMS won his extra season, Joss was forced to the big screen. Both succeeded, just in different directions. Joss hasn't had his bout of creator's cramp yet, and I wish him a long run before it inevitably hits.

As far as him doing Star Trek, I'm not sure. There'll be a time and place for Star Trek to come back, its done it a few times now, but its going to take a completely blank slate without the current overlords in charge of it.