PDA

View Full Version : Supernova

Astrobairn
2005-Oct-12, 07:08 PM
Sorry if anyone has started a thread on this already.

The BBC commedy set in an Australian observatory, what a load of mince. They talk to the ISS from the observatory, they do full on data reduction at the telescope, they "charge up the adaptive optics". It's so bad in so many ways.

novaderrik
2005-Oct-12, 10:06 PM
is it so bad it's good?

enginelessjohn
2005-Oct-13, 01:25 AM
Okay the science in it is at Thunderbirds level, but aside from that it's quite funny....

Cheers
John

hendy
2005-Oct-15, 03:14 AM
Supernova is so bad it's bad. The concept is good, but the actual show is crude, clichéd humour. I didn't laugh once. There are so many astronomical inaccuracies that Phil could dedicate a sizeable section of BA.com to the first episode alone. Things like:
* The astronaut was in a space station around MARS.
* They had a $200,000 glow-in-the-dark radium lens.
* They could see the accretion disk of a black hole, with gas swirling around it.
* The control room was the same room as the telescope, with the astronomers working right underneath it. The telescope seemed to be modern, but was on a flimsy-looking German equatorial mount.
* The astronomical jargon was bandied about with little regard to what makes sense and more to what sounds technical.
* The astronomers were operating the telescope like they were in a NATO command bunker and Russia had just launched 20 nuclear ICBMs.

I'm going to watch the second episode to see if it gets any better, but I don't have much hope.

kylenano
2005-Oct-17, 04:40 AM
After watching it, my response was 'yuk!'.

And I thought whoever created this 'comedy' should be made to watch The Dish (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0205873/combined) (although I know it's not entirely accurate) several times to see how Australian astronomical comedy should be done.