PDA

View Full Version : Man accused of punching out plane window

Candy
2005-Oct-15, 05:51 AM
Man accused of punching out plane window (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Plane_Window_Punched.html)

Ryan J. Marchione, 24, shattered the inner plastic shield covering the glass window and disconnected its frame about 90 minutes into the flight, according to an FBI affidavit. The outer window was not damaged and the plane did not depressurize, the airline said.
Questions:
Could a man's fist break through the window completely?
What would possess someone to do this after sleeping?

zebo-the-fat
2005-Oct-15, 07:59 AM

Stupidity?

Dr Nigel
2005-Oct-15, 10:20 AM
Or maybe he'd had a bad dream.

Or was claustrophobic. The way they pack the seats in in economy class, I've sometimes felt a bit too confined.

Enzp
2005-Oct-15, 10:37 AM
Another aerial defenestration.

tmosher
2005-Oct-15, 01:44 PM
Man accused of punching out plane window (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Plane_Window_Punched.html)

Questions:
Could a man's fist break through the window completely?

No way. Considering the thickness of the plastic there's no way he could punch through the window unless the window had a serious structural flaw in it. Also, the outer window is secured to the fuselage with multiple bolts and nuts (sometimes they use hi-loks).

Tom

Superluminal
2005-Oct-15, 07:40 PM
He was probablly dreaming about the "Never Ending WooWoo Game" thread. Suddenly, he realized it was all a joke.:doh:

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Oct-15, 08:09 PM
i swear its easy to break the first inside window that one is like, well flimsy...

genebujold
2005-Oct-16, 12:37 AM
When people come out of a deep sleep abruptly, any number of things can happen. I had a roommate who once lept out of his bed, hit the opposing wall, and fell to the floor. Fortunately, he wasn't hurt. He doesn't remember why, only that he remembers he had a very impending sense of dread.

It's called fight or flight syndrome.

Normally, there's a mechanism in the brain which prevents us from acting on our dream impulses. Every once in a while, it doesn't work as advertised. When that happens, whatever's going on in the sleep becomes part of the real world.

The outer window can be broken by hand, but it would probably take a very well-seasoned martial artist to do it.

genebujold
2005-Oct-16, 12:38 AM
Addendum: Should the guy get 20 years given the circumstances (woke up out of a deep sleep and struck a window)?

Heck no! This phenomena is very well known!

His lawyer needs to get the dream and sleep researchers on his team.

Candy
2005-Oct-16, 05:46 AM
i swear its easy to break the first inside window that one is like, well flimsy...
http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/konfus/c030.gif

What a nightmare for this guy! No pun intended.

tmosher
2005-Oct-16, 01:51 PM

The inner piece is non-structural. Essentially, the inner piece of plastic is there to protect the real window from the passengers.

Now the outer window (the real window) is generally made of high-strength plastic with a typical thickness of around 1/2 inch or less. I'll have to dig through the maintenance manuals at work to see the actual construction method.

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Oct-16, 05:42 PM
The inner piece is non-structural. Essentially, the inner piece of plastic is there to protect the real window from the passengers.

Now the outer window (the real window) is generally made of high-strength plastic with a typical thickness of around 1/2 inch or less. I'll have to dig through the maintenance manuals at work to see the actual construction method.
Exactly thats what i was talking about, especially in some cheap airplanes, like easyjet the inner one that is to protect the real window is actually really flimsy. but obviously the outer must be made of some gigantic chained molecule to withstand the pressurein the airplane when in high altitudes, and the change in pressure when lifting off or landing

Halcyon Dayz
2005-Oct-16, 09:49 PM
The pressure differential can never be more than 1 atmosphere.
That isn't much.

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Oct-16, 09:52 PM
The pressure differential can never be more than 1 atmosphere.
That isn't much.
True coz its only a commercial plane and those glasses are pretty small anyway compared to the planes, but stil it'll be almost impossible to smash those actual windows by a punch

genebujold
2005-Oct-16, 11:15 PM
The pressure differential between the inside and outside of the cabin, given a flight level of 340 and a cabin altitude of 4,000 feet (the lowest I've seen at that flight level) is approximately 1,300 lb/ft^2. Given the windows are approximately 2/3 of a square foot, it's safe to say the total loading on the window is approximately 870 lbs.

jt-3d
2005-Oct-17, 07:59 AM
Well the technical part seems to have been covered so I'll toss in my 2 about the rest.

I think he'll walk. Maybe he'll have to pay for the window which might run him a few hundred but it's pretty obvious that he wasn't responsible. America West might flag his name but I doubt he'd be banned either. At least that's what I think should happen given what that one article says.

Josh
2005-Oct-17, 09:07 AM
He just won't be allowed the window seat ever again.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Oct-17, 09:26 AM
When people come out of a deep sleep abruptly, any number of things can happen. I had a roommate who once lept out of his bed, hit the opposing wall, and fell to the floor. Fortunately, he wasn't hurt. He doesn't remember why, only that he remembers he had a very impending sense of dread.

It's called fight or flight syndrome.

Normally, there's a mechanism in the brain which prevents us from acting on our dream impulses. Every once in a while, it doesn't work as advertised. When that happens, whatever's going on in the sleep becomes part of the real world.

The outer window can be broken by hand, but it would probably take a very well-seasoned martial artist to do it.
This Is Why you, NEVER Wake Up, a Combat Veteran!!!

They've Had Impulse Control, Litterally, Scared Out Of them, And, Have Been Expertly, Trained to Kill!!!

Not, a Good Combination!!!

:eek:

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Oct-17, 09:31 AM
BTW What Airplane was this?

Candy
2005-Oct-17, 10:14 AM
BTW What Airplane was this?
That market brings up Airbus 319 & 320 (from their website).

Stregone
2005-Oct-17, 08:01 PM
He just won't be allowed the window seat ever again.
Great, now he's going to knock some random passenger silly. :P

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Oct-17, 08:08 PM

:lol: thats a good one, omg :razz: we should make mohammed ali sit beside him, will be great show...until he get bitten, ofcourse

tmosher
2005-Oct-18, 01:00 AM
True coz its only a commercial plane and those glasses are pretty small anyway compared to the planes, but stil it'll be almost impossible to smash those actual windows by a punch

Typical pax window is a 1/4" stretched acrylic/binder/1/4" stretched acrylic sandwich.

Touch stuff considering they are handling a 8.0 PSI pressure differential.

Tom

Candy
2005-Oct-18, 01:08 AM
I wonder if he would be willing to sit by a certain co-worker of mine on a long flight. :razz: