PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Latitude Glaciers on Mars

Fraser
2005-Oct-17, 05:12 PM
SUMMARY: New high-resolution images of Mars have revealed several glaciers in the planet's mid-latitudes, far away from its polar ice caps. Scientists had speculated that many of Mars' mid-latitude features looked like they had been formed by shifting ice, but there wasn't any sign of the actual glaciers. New images from Mars Odyssey show features, such as debris lines on valley floor, which are amazingly similar to Earth glaciers.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/mid_latitude_glaciers_mars.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

cran
2005-Oct-17, 09:48 PM
This is very good news ... especially if there is some ice remaining there ...

from the article "...orbital calculations indicate that Mars may slowly wobble on its spin axis far more than Earth does (the Moon minimizes Earth's wobble). This means that as Mars' axis tilted to the extremes - up to 60 degrees from the plane of Mars' orbit - the Martian poles get a whole lot more sunshine in the summertime than they do now."
That should make it interesting for the colonists... :whistle:

Cohen the Barbarian
2005-Oct-18, 09:21 AM
The idea that Mars has such an exaggerated wobble is new to me. Does anyone have an idea of the time scale involved?

cran
2005-Oct-18, 11:50 PM
The idea that Mars has such an exaggerated wobble is new to me. Does anyone have an idea of the time scale involved?
Yes... but unfortunately, it's not me :(
I had heard that Mars' wobble was greater than Earth's, but not the extent of it before this mention ... and no idea of the timescale...

An interesting note in this article is that it gets away from the 'flowing surface water' scenario that has cropped up before in Mars interpretations - implies flowing ice and sublimation to leave the residue...

PS. I'm surprised that no one has pointed out the 'screaming monkey face' in the image (10 o'clock from 'G'), or the 'dinosaur head profile' (lower left of centre) ... sorry - 'off topic' :silenced: