PDA

View Full Version : There are 10 kinds of people in the world.

William_Thompson
2005-Oct-19, 04:54 PM
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

cyswxman
2005-Oct-19, 05:00 PM
Wasn't that somebodys' sig?

Eta C
2005-Oct-19, 05:17 PM
Yes, although he now uses a reference to trinary (base 3) to describe three different kinds of people. I don't remember who this is, but he'll probably pop up to establish his claim to the joke.

Monique
2005-Oct-19, 05:18 PM
:rolleyes:

Moose
2005-Oct-19, 05:19 PM
A surprising number of t-shirt micropresses carry shirts with that joke.

William_Thompson
2005-Oct-19, 05:37 PM
:( well, I didn't know it was common.

Swift
2005-Oct-19, 06:42 PM
I thought the 10base2 types of people in the world were those who neatly unwrapped their gifts and those who tore the paper apart. :p

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Oct-19, 06:54 PM
Yes, although he now uses a reference to trinary (base 3) to describe three different kinds of people. I don't remember who this is, but he'll probably pop up to establish his claim to the joke.
Maddad, Still Uses It ...

Worzel, Uses The Trinary One, About The Bus ...

Makes It, REALLY Interesting, When they Strat to Argue, About Something!

:shhh:

Eta C
2005-Oct-19, 08:02 PM
That's who it was. I actually posted it outside the door of my office where it has elicited much comment.

My favorite quip along these lines says "There are two types of people in the world. Those who divide all people up into two types and those who don't."

Moose
2005-Oct-19, 08:31 PM
My favorite quip along these lines says "There are two types of people in the world. Those who divide all people up into two types and those who don't."

If it can be said that I have a favorite two-types quip, that's probably it.

SeanF
2005-Oct-19, 08:56 PM
My favorite is, "There are three types of people in the world - those who can count, and those who can't."

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Oct-19, 09:30 PM
How bout this one... idiots laugh thrice at one joke, 1st when they dont understand it but wanto predent that they do and gel in with the crowd, 2nd when finally they understand the jike after immense thinking :think: and working out.... :lol:, and 3rdly when they realise how :wall: dumb they were not to understand on the first time..., so they go, haha, hhehhah, mwahhhahahaa

genebujold
2005-Oct-20, 01:51 AM
Actually, there really are ten kinds of people in the world (admittedly with significant overlap):

1. Those who do.

2. Those who don't.

3. Those who can.

4. Those who can't.

5. Those who teach.

6. Those who're taught.

7. Those who praise.

8. Those who're praised.

9. Those who demean.

10. Those who're demeaned.

Of course, there's not ONLY ten, but...

crosscountry
2005-Oct-20, 03:12 AM
pardon my being the kind of person that doesnt' get a joke

but, the "waiting for a bus" totally escapes me.

I get the Trinary reference. What's with the bus?

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Oct-20, 07:00 AM
pardon my being the kind of person that doesnt' get a joke

but, the "waiting for a bus" totally escapes me.

It's Directed, at Those, Who NEVER, Get The Point, of The Original Joke ...

Hence, Waiting For a Bus, That'll Never Get There!!!!

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Oct-20, 07:27 AM
How bout this one... idiots laugh thrice at one joke, 1st when they dont understand it but wanto predent that they do and gel in with the crowd, 2nd when finally they understand the jike after immense thinking :think: and working out.... :lol:, and 3rdly when they realise how :wall: dumb they were not to understand on the first time..., so they go, haha, hhehhah, mwahhhahahaa
My FAVOURITE Version, of This Joke, Is The Jewish One (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/03/1064988390639.html?from=storyrhs):

When you tell a joke to a peasant, he laughs three times, once when you tell it to him, the second time when you explain it to him, and the third time when he understands it.

The landowner laughs twice. Once when you tell it to him and again when you explain it, because he never understands it.

A policeman laughs only once, when you tell it to him, because he doesn't let you explain it so he never understands it.

When you tell a Jew a joke, he says, "I've heard it before. And I can tell it better."

The Last One, Is So, me!!!!

:lol:

Moose
2005-Oct-20, 10:14 AM

I see it a little differently than Zaphod. Tri-state logic (or variables as I typically see them implimented) are rather surreal in that while two states are fairly well defined, naturally useful and easy to understand: [on, yes, 1] or [off, no, 0].

That third state isn't quite so easily defined, used or understood: [maybe?]. I've always seen it as a little surreal. It's why the bus makes sense to me when linked to tri-state logic. It's as natural a third state as any other I've seen used.

enginelessjohn
2005-Oct-20, 11:43 AM
Never trust a man who can count to 1023 on his fingers... Thats an RF engineer's take on things.... :)

Cheers
John

Moose
2005-Oct-20, 11:51 AM
Never trust a man who can count to 1023 on his fingers... Thats an RF engineer's take on things.... :)

Especially when he gets to 4. :p (or 6 for that matter if you're in the UK.)

crosscountry
2005-Oct-20, 02:52 PM
My FAVOURITE Version, of This Joke, Is The Jewish One (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/03/1064988390639.html?from=storyrhs):

When you tell a joke to a peasant, he laughs three times, once when you tell it to him, the second time when you explain it to him, and the third time when he understands it.

The landowner laughs twice. Once when you tell it to him and again when you explain it, because he never understands it.

A policeman laughs only once, when you tell it to him, because he doesn't let you explain it so he never understands it.

When you tell a Jew a joke, he says, "I've heard it before. And I can tell it better."

Yea, but we have to watch it, sometimes telling it better ruins the joke.

Thanks for the article, I found it very interesting.

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Oct-20, 04:32 PM

:( You make my joke look shaby

Gillianren
2005-Oct-20, 07:36 PM
Especially when he gets to 4. :p (or 6 for that matter if you're in the UK.)

Why? You got a different number of fingers over there?

Argos
2005-Oct-20, 08:40 PM
Hey William, Judging by your new avatar, I´d say there´s 10 kinds of people: those who like women and those who don´t. :)

just kidding

AndrewGPaul
2005-Oct-20, 08:50 PM
Why? You got a different number of fingers over there?

No, just a different gesture.

As made famous by Churchill, and alledgedly, archers at Agincourt.

worzel
2005-Oct-20, 08:59 PM
The original binary one has been around for a while. I frist saw it on a t-shirt my boss bought for my colleague. Mine said:

cd /pub
more beer

Every now and again someone hears it for the first time and posts it or uses it as their sig.

The ternary one is my own I'm afraid. I originally posted it in response to someone posting the binary one on a forum here in London.

EDIT: try this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-state_buffer), you might then want to skip the rambling paragraph below.

We get all these binary references because computers are built out of logic gates who's inputs and outputs are either high or low voltage (true or false, 1 or 0). Computers actually do arthmetic in binary, almost identically to how we all learned to do arithmetic in base 10 at primary school. But computers also have tri-state gates, and you could use ternary to represent them (although that would probably be a bit pointless), but the point is that their third state is one of high impedence where their output effectively becomes disconnected. This allows us to hook up many outputs to one common bus and select which output is active at any one time. This is directly realised, for instance, when you select which register you are going to connect to the databus (which in turn will be connected to some other register's input, or some memory location via the address bus). Sometimes a register is in this third state while waiting for the bus to become free. Isn't that hilarious :)

Moose
2005-Oct-20, 09:59 PM
Sometimes a register is in this third state while waiting for the bus to become free. Isn't that hilarious :)

Worzel, this makes (far) more sense than the explanation I got in my college electronics class. Spiffy. Thanks.

The joke is clever (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/magical+trevor). Cleverer than it has any right to be. :p

(The link is my revenge. It's work/family safe as far as I can see, but I honestly can't vouch for the rest of the site, so proceed at your own risk.)

Moose
2005-Oct-20, 10:05 PM
No, just a different gesture.

As made famous by Churchill, and alledgedly, archers at Agincourt.

Binary communication for road-ragers. :D

worzel
2005-Oct-20, 10:14 PM
The joke is clever (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/magical+trevor). Cleverer than it has any right to be. :p

(The link is my revenge. It's work/family safe as far as I can see, but I honestly can't vouch for the rest of the site, so proceed at your own risk.)Moose, I was determined not to be amused as I didn't want to get into one of those mutual admiration society situations (by which I just mean being seen to repay a compliment). But when I hit "lots of beans, lots of beans, lots of beans, yeah yeah" my lovely brand new laptop got christened with beer spray. Did you do the music too?

Moose
2005-Oct-20, 10:21 PM
Moose, I was determined not to be amused as I didn't want to get into one of those mutual admiration society situations (by which I just mean being seen to repay a compliment). But when I hit "lots of beans, lots of beans, lots of beans, yeah yeah" my lovely brand new laptop got christened with beer spray. Did you do the music too?

No worries then, your admiration is entirely misplaced. I'm another victim, not the author. I've had the tune stuck in my head continuously for days. Not even Badger Badger was that insidious. I just thought I'd spread the joy, that's all.

Be sure to check out Magical Trevor 2 and 3 on the same site. Almost as cute as the first, not quite so catchy.

worzel
2005-Oct-21, 12:43 AM
I've had the tune stuck in my head continuously for days. Not even Badger Badger was that insidious. I just thought I'd spread the joy, that's all.I've learnt the words already and am figuring out a good guitar accompaniment as I type :)

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Oct-21, 01:53 AM
Yea, but we have to watch it, sometimes telling it better ruins the joke.

Thanks for the article, I found it very interesting.
No Problem ...

That's, What I'm Here, for!!!

:( You make my joke look shaby
ALL, In a Day's Work!!!

:p

crosscountry
2005-Oct-21, 04:58 AM
The ternary one is my own I'm afraid. I originally posted it in response to someone posting the binary one on a forum here in London.

you rock!

TheBlackCat
2005-Oct-23, 12:41 AM
No worries then, your admiration is entirely misplaced. I'm another victim, not the author. I've had the tune stuck in my head continuously for days. Not even Badger Badger was that insidious. I just thought I'd spread the joy, that's all.

Be sure to check out Magical Trevor 2 and 3 on the same site. Almost as cute as the first, not quite so catchy.

I am really, really, really hating you right now. I have had this song stuck in my head for two days and it won't go away! Normally if I have a song stuck in my head I simply have to listen to it again and it goes away. But every time I try that with this one, it only makes it worse. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/banghead.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Maybe its like The Ring, where in order to save yourself you have to pass it along to others. I better go post in on another forum right away.

Moose
2005-Oct-23, 12:43 AM
Maybe its like The Ring, where in order to save yourself you have to pass it along to others. I better go post in on another forum right away.

You might be right. I had no trouble getting out of my head since I've posted it.

(Muahahaha)

crosscountry
2005-Oct-23, 02:12 AM
badger badger badger... mushroom mushroom....

WaxRubiks
2005-Oct-23, 02:04 PM
there were 11 types of Romans in the world, those that didn't understand binary and those who wished that someone would hurry up and invent the zero.

genebujold
2005-Oct-23, 03:46 PM
Speaking from an entirely different point of view, there are 108 kinds of people in the world, based on the following characteristics:

1. Genetic sex at birth (3 - male, female, intergendered)

2. Sexual identification (4 - male, female, intergendered, non-gendered)

3. Sexual orientation (3 - male, female, bi)

4. Sexual expression (3 - male, female, mixed)

Speaking personally, I'm a heterosexual male who occasionally expresses himself as mixed. Then again, that's mixed only in the modern sense of the term, since men have been wearing kilts, skirts, dresses (for lack of better terms) for about 50 millenia.

Perhaps this thread should be entitled, "Any gents here wear kilts?"

WaxRubiks
2005-Oct-23, 03:53 PM
Perhaps this thread should be entitled, "Any gents here wear kilts?"

it might make all the replys seem a bit strange. :wink:

genebujold
2005-Oct-23, 06:15 PM
I am really, really, really hating you right now. I have had this song stuck in my head for two days and it won't go away! Normally if I have a song stuck in my head I simply have to listen to it again and it goes away. But every time I try that with this one, it only makes it worse. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/banghead.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Must have been prayed over using some sort of Satanic ritual for it to produce that effect.

Fortunately, I'm either immune, or incredibly drunk.

Probably the former, as I'm never drunk.

Moose
2005-Oct-23, 06:22 PM
Must have been prayed over using some sort of Satanic ritual for it to produce that effect.

First Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the Pastafarians. Thank you.

RAmen.

hhEb09'1
2005-Oct-23, 06:30 PM
there's one type of people in this world, those who

WaxRubiks
2005-Oct-23, 07:12 PM
....dance like a banana tree.

genebujold
2005-Oct-23, 07:16 PM
First Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the Pastafarians. Thank you.

RAmen.

Pass the Parmesan cheese, please!

buurrrrp