PDA

View Full Version : Nov. '05 Sky & Telescope

Wolverine
2005-Oct-21, 04:14 AM
A quick question for S&T readers just out of curiosity.

The copy of this issue (http://skyandtelescope.com/images/magazinecover.gif) I purchased is missing pages 87-102. Unfortunately, all the others I've found in stock locally have the same glitch.

Did I just get lucky locally, or has this happened nationwide?

Celestial Mechanic
2005-Oct-21, 04:54 AM
I checked my copy and it's OK.

Tensor
2005-Oct-21, 08:39 AM
Mine is complete.

Wolverine
2005-Oct-21, 08:54 AM
Dang. Lucky me. :sad:

tbm
2005-Oct-22, 03:57 PM
Those of you with complete copies should be careful. Those who removed those pages did so to stop you from seeing the TRUTH. Now that you have seen it, you are in danger of having THEM come to get you..............

Yup!

tbm

Dave Mitsky
2005-Oct-22, 07:39 PM
Wolverine,

Call the circulation department 800 number. They'll send you a complete issue.

Did anyone notice the error in the Deep Sky Wonders column?

Dave Mitsky

NanC
2005-Oct-22, 10:02 PM
My copy is complete but the binding is weaker than normal. I have accidentally pulled three pages out while reading. Do you have places where it looks like pages have fallen out or does it look like they were bound with the pages missing?

You missed an article on Coronado's Calcium-Light Solar Telescope, reviews on some interesting accessories and an article on the Puckett Observatory Supernova Search and some advertisements. I think its worth the effort to get a complete copy.

I only skimmed the Deep Sky Wonders column so far. What is the error you found? Are you allowed to keep us in suspense like this? And is that just because you are a moderator?

I'm playing. But do tell. :)

NanC
2005-Oct-22, 10:10 PM
Also I have a question about the Enceladus's Frozen Volcanoes article on page 16. Is this a good place to ask it? If you tell me to I will make a new thread and ask again. You will have to have the article available to understand the question:

Could the appearance of the tiger stripes and the unusual heat signature be explained by a not-so-distant-past impact of an asteroid into the moon? An impact could have created a crater which was flowed back over creating the wrinkled appearance as it froze and the split marks radiating out from the impact point. This would release much material into Saturn's ring system, also. Is this possible?

I'm not proposing an against-the-mainstream theory. I'm just asking to know.

Wolverine
2005-Oct-26, 08:31 AM
Wolverine,

Call the circulation department 800 number. They'll send you a complete issue.

Whoops, thought I'd already replied here.

I plan on doing so to obtain a replacement, was just curious to see how widespread the boo-boo was.

Wolverine
2005-Oct-26, 08:40 AM
Also I have a question about the Enceladus's Frozen Volcanoes article on page 16. Is this a good place to ask it? If you tell me to I will make a new thread and ask again. You will have to have the article available to understand the question:

Could the appearance of the tiger stripes and the unusual heat signature be explained by a not-so-distant-past impact of an asteroid into the moon?

If you haven't already done so, feel free to post a new thread on the topic. There's also a Universe Today story (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/cassini_finds_young_tiger_stripes.html?3182005) on the subject here as well as a discussion thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=549214#post549214), if you like.

Dave Mitsky
2005-Oct-27, 05:22 AM
Edit

I only skimmed the Deep Sky Wonders column so far. What is the error you found? Are you allowed to keep us in suspense like this? And is that just because you are a moderator?

I'm playing. But do tell. :)

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. At any rate, the photo caption on page 78, IIRC, states that M39 is the only Messier object in Cygnus. M29 is also located in that constellation.

Dave Mitsky

NanC
2005-Oct-31, 11:57 PM
I do not think I was being sarcastic. I meant nothing bad. I was playing. Sometimes my English does not come across as good as other times. I would not have discovered that error after a hundred readings so thank you for sharing.