PDA

View Full Version : Halloween

Candy
2005-Oct-22, 03:01 AM
It's upon us soon. Tell me you scary stories.

http://home.att.net/~candy.stair/phases.gif

Candy
2005-Oct-22, 03:22 AM
Boo!

http://home.att.net/~candy.stair/ani-ghst.gif

Titana
2005-Oct-22, 05:00 AM
!! BOO!!

http:www.halloweenghoststories.com/halloween/halloween1-1.html

Titana........

Gemini
2005-Oct-22, 05:14 AM
I was born in 1990 to.........(life story)

Enzp
2005-Oct-22, 08:50 AM
One time I thought I'd locked my keys in the car. They were in my coat pocket all along. It was scary for a moment though.

Oh, and I met Vice President Nixon at a baseball game back about 1953 or thereabouts.

(Actually he and his wife Pat smiled and said hello.)

Candy
2005-Oct-23, 12:01 AM
When I was younger, my mom would take us around to the really nice neighborhoods to trick or treat. They had bigger and better candy.

I have an old photo somewhere. If I can find it, I will post it here. You can see me dressed up in some weird costume back in the 70's.

Gullible Jones
2005-Oct-23, 12:05 AM
Tell me you scary stories.

Hah, that's convenient. I'm working on an SF story right now... Not exactly horror, and probably not that good, but should be quite dark enough.

Candy
2005-Oct-23, 12:13 AM
Hah, that's convenient. I'm working on an SF story right now... Not exactly horror, and probably not that good, but should be quite dark enough.
You should post a teaser. I'd like to read it. Better yet, if you have a blog... There's a lot of free blog space out there in cyberworld. My website, I have listed, is my blog. It's a little boring right now. I promise to make it somewhat interesting in the very near future.

TheBlackCat
2005-Oct-23, 12:27 AM

Alright, I have one.

One night, a guy and his girlfriend are on a date. They decide to go to a secluded park for a little "necking". The park is down a hill off a main road, and is surrounded by trees. They turn the radio on and climb in the back seat of the guy's car. While they are back there, they hear over the radio that a serial killer had just escaped from a nearby mental institution. He was very dangerous, and his distinguishing feature was that he only had one shoe. The couple ignored this and kept doing what they were doing. Since it was snowing out and the heat was on, the windows started fogging up.

After a while, the girlfriend got a feeling there was someone outside the car. They couldn't see out because of the fog on the windows, so the boyfriend wiped off one of the windows to see out but couldn't see very far because of the snow. They climb into the front seat and lock the doors. Just then, a faint scratching was heard on one of the doors. The boyfriend turned the car on and put it into gear just as there was a band on the door. The two sped off.

The boyfriend dropped his girlfriend at her parents house and went to hang out with some friends. He told them the story and they all decided to check out the park. By then the snow had stopped. When they got there, no one was around. However, where the car was parked there were circled of footprints, like someone had been walking around the car. What's more, the person who left the footprints only had one shoe.

From then on every so often a young teenage couple who were at that park would be brutally murdered. The police would come in with dogs but the culprit was never found. After a number of couples had died the town finally closed off the park permanently.

trinitree88
2005-Oct-23, 02:20 AM

http://home.att.net/~candy.stair/phases.gif
Hi Candy. Here's one.

I enjoy gardening for the physical labor and the sense of being close to my food supply, mother nature, sunshine, and all the flora and fauna. For years intermittently I've worked at various garden centers along with my teaching...dovetails neatly. The latest one is haunted...Wolf Hill in Ipswich,MA. People told me they'd seen things move like a poltergeist was involved, and that they sensed the famous cold spots in different rooms. (Evidently sombody was murdered on site when the building was a restaurant years ago)
I just ignored it. Then while closing up about two months ago...lights were left on downstairs. Vicki headed to shut them off while muttering about who was supposed to get them. As she headed for the spiral staircase...I saw a man walk across what used to be a sunken dance floor...the birdhouse area...I thought it was Eric...the managers' son...and that Vicki would remind of his shortcomings closing up......he took four steps,though, and vanished. Vicki saw nothing...just looked at me blankly.
People have said "Hello" to the man who appears at the front register, turned away, turned back, and he's gone. So while we have plenty of pumpkins, mums, and fake ghosts on site....it unnerves people to know that a real one walks the floors, too. Ciao Pete

2005-Oct-23, 03:57 AM
Halloween
I just chuckle every time I see the topic presented, Thread/Thread Starter:

Halloween (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=33979)
Candy

Halloween candy. Yum.

Andromeda321
2005-Oct-23, 04:35 AM
So anyone dressing up? I am. :D
For anyone curious, my roommate and myself plan to dress up as a pair of chess nerds. I'm going to wear a black and white checkered vest with a white collared shirt, do my hair up in messy pigtails, and wear huge ugly glasses. My roomie will have some sort of similar attire and we plan to trek around with a chess board and take ourselves altogether too seriously. ;)

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Oct-23, 05:06 AM
If you can throw a black jacket over that and wear black trousers, your friend can wear exactly the same thing -- but with black and white reversed. Just a fun little thought.

Gillianren
2005-Oct-23, 07:14 AM
I am in the process of making Sith robes for my neighbors, in fact, which I am determined to have done for them by Halloween. (Of course they don't actually want them for Halloween costumes! My neighbors are gamer geeks, and will be using them as roleplaying costumes.) I have not yet determined what I will be wearing, but I've been invited to a Samhain celebration at a friend's for that night.

genebujold
2005-Oct-23, 05:29 PM
I thought I'd go out as a mutant Ninja nun from Hell.

Haven't the slightest idea of how to go about it, though... Habit? Heels? Incredibly large b******?

Fortunately, I'm footloose and fancy free this year, so could care less what others think!

dakini
2005-Oct-23, 06:02 PM
I'm going to be a cat.

A sexy cat. ;)

Superluminal
2005-Oct-23, 06:12 PM
Nothing really scary. But once I met a distant relative of Lizzy Borden. I just knew that at any moment she could go off.

Candy
2005-Oct-23, 08:04 PM
Oh, spooky and great stories above. I know where you are Superluminal. ;)

Okay, this is an old photo from my past. I snapped a digital of a polaroid photo - this just doesn't seem right.

http://home.att.net/~candy.stair/HalloweenCandy.jpg
Susan, Michael, Richard, and Candy
(notice how my name doesn't even fit with the siblings)

genebujold
2005-Oct-24, 05:54 PM
As I strolled down the street, my heels thunking eerily on the wet cobblestones, I heard a difference in the background noise of the night that sent shivers down my spine. Normally, I could always hear the laughter coming from the bars in this area of town, people having fun, competing at pool, and generally laughing it up on a Monday night.

Tonight, however, was different, as I approached my favorite watering hole, the Lizzard Inn.

The door creaked as usual when I put my weight against it, but the echo of that creak sounded louder than usual. Normally, it was drowned in myriads of laughter, if not softened by their clothes. Tonight, however, it peeled earily between the walls before coming to rest.

"Mike? Are you open?"

I've never had to ask that question. Of course he was open. He was never closed. Even during the wee hours of that Tuesday morning long ago, when my wife announced her decision to divorce me, Mike was open, and I downed my third hard drink of my life sometime around 4am. He stayed up with me, he did, as I nursed an ache that never went away.

Tonight, however, there was a new ache, as Mike was nowhere to be found.

I strolled around behind the bar, thinking perhaps he'd simply gone to get some things, and poured myself a cold Guiness.

Liquid bread.

Mmm...

After cleaning up the bar, I began policing the tables, and was mostly finished when Mike walked in.

He didn't look himself. In fact, he was scared witless.

"Mike, are you all right?"

"It's them," he replied, his stare a thousand yards long and vacant has hell itself. "They've come."

"Who's come, Mike?" I asked, but all I could get out of him was "them."

I shivered, and poured myself a shot of Drambui, giving Mike two. He needed it.

About three more shots later, Mike began to talk.

"They came."

"Who came, Mike?"

"Them."

"Who's them, Mike?"

"The ones who came through the door."

Clearly, I wasn't about to get any details about "them," so I tried a different tact.

"What happened after they came through the door?"

"They lead us away," Mike replied.

"Where?"

"To the pasture out back."

"Why did you follow them?" I asked, confident in Mike's ability to take care of himself.

For the first and only time that night, Mike looked straight into my eyes for three haunting moments and said, "We followed them because we had to."

It didn't make sense, but Mike averted my gaze, and I let the matter rest.

"Mike," I said gently. "Where's everyone else?"

"Gone," he replied.

"Gone where?" I asked, still not understanding.

"Just, gone," he reiterated.

By this point, he was really scaring me. People in a bar don't just vanish, and the bartender doesn't just appear out of nowhere. This wasn't right, by any stretch of the imagination.

"Mike, how many people were here tonight?" I asked, hoping he'd say none.

"I don't know. Thirty. Perhaps fifty."

I gulped.

"And all of them are 'gone' like you said?"

"Yeah," Mike replied. "Gone."

"Where did they go, Mike?"

He didn't answer. He simply stared into his drink for about twenty seconds, before responding, "there."

There. Ok, there I had it - it was there. They'd all gone "there."

I knew I was beginning to lose my patience, if not my sanity, when I said, "What the hell kind of an answer is that, Mike? What does "there" mean? Where is "there?" Where are our friends, Mike?"

His long stare into nothingness said it all. Mike, who could never be shaken by anything, was clearly disturbed to the depths of his soul. Chills began building down my spine as I began to realize something was wrong with the world. Terribly wrong. I began looking for a way out, wanting to run, to dive through a window, to do anything to get out of this place. The silence was deafening. I heard myself begin to shout "no, No!" over and over. I ran from door to door, locking them all, the windows too, before shuffling back over to Mike, who just sat there, his thousand-yard stare haunting me, as drool dripped from his lower lip.

"You're next," he said.

"Wh-what?" I asked, trembling with fear.

"They took them all," he said. "But they didn't take you."

At that time, Mike looked into my eyes for a second time that night, and in his eyes I caught the horror and fear of what had happened, but I caught something else - the menace, the harm he intended.

"No, Mike - don't!" I cried, as he slowly stood from his chair, and moved towards me. "NO! Mike!"

About this time, unbeknownst to me, someone had snuck up behind us, and went....

MMMUUUUHHAAAHHAAAHAAAHAAA!!!!!

He was joined by all the bar patrons streaming in from the downstairs rooms (which I'd forgotten to check), and Mike, eyes streaming with tears of laughter, gave me the biggest hug of my life, before saying "Happy Halloween, my friend!"

That was last year.

Wonder what's up this year...

zebo-the-fat
2005-Oct-24, 09:01 PM
Many years ago, my girlfriend at the time lived on about the 10th floor of a tower block. One night I got a phone call ... "I'm haunted by a clock!"

"She's been on the herbal cigarettes again!" I thought.

Eventualy she persuaded me to drive down to investigate, by this time it was about 3:00 AM and very quiet. In her rooms she only had (silent) digital clocks, but I could hear a very quiet ticking...!
Wierd!

Moving around the room the ticking was louder near the window.... what the **** could be ticking 10 floors up?
I put my head between the curtain and the window and the ticking got louder...
Haunted by the ghost of a clock thrown out of the window? ...

Eventualy found that the sound was being transmitted through a ventilation duct from the room above, the end of the duct was just above the window!

Ghost (and girl) laid to rest! :lol:

tlbs101
2005-Oct-24, 11:04 PM
I usually carry my black cat to the door to scare the kids, when they come trick-or-treating. Fortunately, Sassy is a mellow cat and doesn't mind. Sometimes I wear a scary mask.

I have a ghost story, but it is long. Too long for this. Maybe I'll type it, upload it, and link to it.

Candy
2005-Oct-24, 11:09 PM
I usually carry my black cat to the door to scare the kids, when they come trick-or-treating. Fortunately, Sassy is a mellow cat and doesn't mind. Sometimes I wear a scary mask.

I have a ghost story, but it is long. Too long for this. Maybe I'll type it, upload it, and link to it.
I love the above stories. You people really know how to make me laugh.

I just saw on this morning's news to keep black cats indoors during Halloween. Apparently, there are some mean spirited people out and about!

Titana
2005-Oct-25, 06:42 AM
http://www.geocities.com/dianabrr/Titana.html

Titana.........

Enzp
2005-Oct-25, 06:54 AM
If you haven't read it, The Vanishing Hitchhiker is full of fun scary stories. The author is Jan Brunvand and he has written several other books collecting such urban legends.

Candy
2005-Oct-25, 03:08 PM

Titana.........
Nice!

http://home.att.net/~candy.stair/Skeletons_Dance_ani.gif

Titana
2005-Oct-25, 03:58 PM
Nice!

http://home.att.net/~candy.stair/Skeletons_Dance_ani.gif

!!Thanks!!

Titana..........

genebujold
2005-Oct-25, 06:52 PM
I collect black cats for a reason.

You see, all black cats are time travelers, caught in our world without a way to return home.

Whenever a black cat appears on my doorstep, I collect him/her, and send them back to the time from which they came.

This is a harmless procedure, made possibly by replacing their atomic structure with free-flowing tachyons from the university's linear accelerator.

It takes but less than two minutes, but to date I've had trouble with the authorities.

Apparently, they've noticed a decided drop in the number of black cats in the neighborhood, and have been recording the change in numbers. I'm not sure what provisions would allow for the lost souls to continue home while placating the ridiculously stupid powers that be.

Borealis
2005-Oct-25, 07:07 PM
Nothing really scary. But once I met a distant relative of Lizzy Borden. I just knew that at any moment she could go off.

Hey. Do I know you? Lizzie's mother (her real mother, not the stepmama murder victim) is my great, great (I think two greats) aunt, the sister of my great-great-great grandfather.

Last year at Halloween I directed a play about Lizzie.

Candy
2005-Oct-25, 07:43 PM
Hey. Do I know you? Lizzie's mother (her real mother, not the stepmama murder victim) is my great, great (I think two greats) aunt, the sister of my great-great-great grandfather.

Last year at Halloween I directed a play about Lizzie.
Superluminal was talking about me. Are we distant relatives (not blood)? I'm from the Cornell side.

genebujold
2005-Oct-25, 08:52 PM
So anyone dressing up? I am. :D
For anyone curious, my roommate and myself plan to dress up as a pair of chess nerds. I'm going to wear a black and white checkered vest with a white collared shirt, do my hair up in messy pigtails, and wear huge ugly glasses. My roomie will have some sort of similar attire and we plan to trek around with a chess board and take ourselves altogether too seriously. ;)

I'm gonna don heels, a wig, breasts, hips, makeup, and stymie the hell out of the drunk guys around here while attracting the admiration of the women who have to put up with their antics every Friday night.

I've done it for the past 10 years, and it's a blast!

Swift
2005-Oct-25, 09:06 PM
I collect black cats for a reason.

You see, all black cats are time travelers, caught in our world without a way to return home.

Whenever a black cat appears on my doorstep, I collect him/her, and send them back to the time from which they came.

This is a harmless procedure, made possibly by replacing their atomic structure with free-flowing tachyons from the university's linear accelerator.

It takes but less than two minutes, but to date I've had trouble with the authorities.

Apparently, they've noticed a decided drop in the number of black cats in the neighborhood, and have been recording the change in numbers. I'm not sure what provisions would allow for the lost souls to continue home while placating the ridiculously stupid powers that be.
IIRC, the time-travelling-cats (TTCs) appear black when travelling forward in time and white when travelling backwards. Sort of like black holes and white holes. :surprised

Candy
2005-Oct-25, 09:36 PM
I'm gonna don heels, a wig, breasts, hips, makeup, and stymie the hell out of the drunk guys around here while attracting the admiration of the women who have to put up with their antics every Friday night.

I've done it for the past 10 years, and it's a blast!
Could you take a photo and post it here? I love when men dress in drag. I find it sexy for some reason. Don't ask me why, because I don't know.

kucharek
2005-Oct-26, 05:34 AM
Just in time for Halloween, NASA provides eerie sounds from Cassini-Measurements on their multimedia-page.

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/sounds/

I uploaded the title page s it surly will go away in a few days.

Harald

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 05:40 AM
Thank you, kucharek. Didn't you have a birthday yesterday? See Birthday thread.

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 05:48 AM
OMG, that first one I clicked on is freaking spooky (http://www.nasa.gov/mov/113760main_PIA07869.mov), kucharek. It took a while to download on dial-up.

kucharek
2005-Oct-26, 05:55 AM
Thank you, kucharek. Didn't you have a birthday yesterday?

Uh, I forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

Harald

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 06:01 AM
Okay, this one ... just screams... (http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/videos/movies/alien_winds_descent_radar.mp3) I thought is said momma... but then it just screamed...

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 06:06 AM
boring (http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/videos/movies/alien_winds_descent.mp3) <-- dead air

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 06:25 AM
The first one was the best!

Now I know why NASA listed them in order. ;)

Gullible Jones
2005-Oct-29, 02:15 AM
Okay, remember that story I'm working on? Sorry to say that it won't be ready by Halloween; there isn't that much of it right now, and half of that is undergoing a rewrite. But here's a teaser... Just remember that the following will probably end up distributed through part of the story, instead of being lumped together. Think of it as a second narrative going on in the protagonist's head, in parallel with the primary narrative. Obviously, it's something of a waking nightmare.

Call it what you will: God, Vishnu, Ahura Mazda. It sits on its black throne at the center of Creation, and it sees all. From behind its mask of blazing orbs and blinding shadows, it watches you, watches everything, trillionfold eyes never straying. It watches everything, through those cold, distant eyes.

It watched him from behind that terrible silver-white mask, flowing spheres, icy dark streaming arms, glowing. He stood before it, frozen, unable to move, unable to look away, as the trillionfold hidden eyes pierced the eggshell layers of his mind, his heart. It spoke in his head, a roar, a shattering stunning onslaught like the winds of a dying star confined in his skull. He didn't understand the voice, but he felt it, felt the mighty words, every atom of his being straining against them.

He couldn't move, couldn't hide, couldn't run. The tendrils of shadow ran towards him. In his mind's eye, he could see claws forming on their tips.

He tried to open his mouth, to scream. Nothing happened; he could hear nothing over the rushing fires in his head.

Perhaps a bit overdone, but I think that the "dispersed" version should do its job nicely.

At any rate... If you've read around at all, you'll realize that this story takes place in Lovecraft's universe - an updated version thereof, anyway. You should be able to recognize the "creature" I've described; it and a couple others will get big roles in this story. Don't worry, I'm trying my best to be less farcical than Lovecraft.

(And worry not, I won't include Lovecraft's name for the thing either. Why bother, for a being that is completely beyond using arbitrary names? :P )

Candy
2005-Oct-29, 02:26 AM
GJ, I've read this four times.

I like it.

Big Brother Dunk
2005-Oct-29, 02:39 AM

Titana.........
Very impressive. Nicely done.http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing32.gif

Big Brother Dunk
2005-Oct-29, 02:40 AM
There are some pretty good stories here. Unfortunately I can't add anything to the list.

sarongsong
2005-Oct-29, 05:44 AM
How come there's no official Halloween Song?

Candy
2005-Oct-29, 06:18 AM
How come there's no official Halloween Song?
There is now. It's called sarongsong!

Andromeda321
2005-Oct-29, 04:58 PM
Woohoo guys it's SATURDAY!!! And I don't care what anyone says the Saturday closest to Halloween is more important than the day itself! As proven by the fact that there are pumpkins whizzing by my window because there's a group that's letting you pay a dollar to throw one from the 11th story. :D
Later tonight I'm off to Halloween at the Farm which is an event my school does at a Farm about twenty minutes away every year. This year I'm working as they asked my Physics and Astronomy Club if we could take out telescopes so we of course agreed... unfortunately I think it's going to be so cold that if anyone asks I'm going to have to tell them I'm an Eskimo. But it should be fun, Mars is great and there will be a lot of ppl there and I'm a sucker for that look people get when looking at something through a telescope for the first time. :)
After that I got invited to a Halloween party but dunno if I'll show up because we might just stay with the scopes... we'll see how cold it gets.

Wolverine
2005-Oct-29, 05:13 PM
I loathe Halloween.

Samara
2005-Oct-29, 05:13 PM
What I'm going as...coughlookatmynamecoughcough

I'm debating whether to go trick - or -treating this year. I mean on one hand I'm too old on the other hand...IT'S FREE CANDY!

TheBlackCat
2005-Oct-29, 05:34 PM
I went to a party last night as a lumberjack. I made an axe out of a roll of brown wrapping paper, cereal boxes, and aluminum foil. I freaked out some lady on the street who thought the axe was real, and I had at least 7 other people at the part ask me if it was real.

Samara
2005-Oct-29, 05:38 PM
Ingenious...My costume basically is a white dress and black wig, since I have zer0-to-none sewing skills

Gillianren
2005-Oct-30, 07:26 PM
I think I'm going as a woo-woo. Bought aluminum foil during my weekly shopping trip yesterday to fashion into a lovely hat--though I've got a friend who keeps insisting it should be a yarmulke, so I'd (apparently) be a Jewish woo-woo.

Enzp
2005-Oct-30, 08:16 PM
A Jew-woo

Krevel
2005-Oct-30, 10:59 PM
What's scaring me right now are these wackos who want to ban Halloween because it's satanistic or pagan or some other such nonsense. My mom was telling me that one of their local churches is having a party where the kids are supposed to dress as their favorite saint!! Ooh, what fun!! I wanna go as Saint Lucifer, my favorite fallen saint. That would really scare the bejeezus out of 'em! (Sorry couldn't resist.)

Have these people completely forgotten what it is to be a kid!?! That's what scares me.

Candy
2005-Oct-30, 11:21 PM
Krevel, this happens every year. Some people hate Halloween that they even started a folklore - well, that's what I think happened. I remember as a child that big scare with razor blades in the treats. The local hospital even allowed parents to take the candy in for an examination. No blades have been found to date, or so I hear.

Titana
2005-Oct-30, 11:27 PM
Very impressive. Nicely done.http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing32.gif

Thanks.. alot

Titana..........

Titana
2005-Oct-30, 11:35 PM
What's scaring me right now are these wackos who want to ban Halloween because it's satanistic or pagan or some other such nonsense. My mom was telling me that one of their local churches is having a party where the kids are supposed to dress as their favorite saint!! Ooh, what fun!! I wanna go as Saint Lucifer, my favorite fallen saint. That would really scare the bejeezus out of 'em! (Sorry couldn't resist.)

Have these people completely forgotten what it is to be a kid!?! That's what scares me.

I got a good chuckle out of this post.........

Titana...........

mahesh
2005-Oct-31, 12:49 AM
There is now. It's called sarongsong!

Candy, hi, you are soooooo caring and look out for everyone..bless you...
the things you come up with, blows me away, thank you for being Candy.
We love you, you brighten everywhere.

Yah, Halloween Saturday is cool...we partied with fifteen kids / four adults, yesterday..4/9 yrs..they had a ball, we all did. Flynn, our baby went as an astronaut..what a scream! no, but they all were.

Oh, to be like a child again...i think i am, in a way. our four year old Flynn teaches me stuff, i've lost along the way.

here's to all the kids in the world, happiness and joy.

Gillianren
2005-Oct-31, 05:06 AM
Well, now, to be fair, Halloween is a Pagan holiday. Granted, it's a Catholic one, too, but it started as a Celtic tradition before the Christians came to Ireland. However, Christmas started as the feast of Mithras, and the fundamentalists trying to ban Halloween don't seem too worried about that.

Candy
2005-Nov-01, 12:37 AM
Thank you, mahesh. You are kind.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN, everybody! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/figuren/c035.gif

The Mangler
2005-Nov-01, 02:37 AM
What would you consider 'too old' to be out trick-or-treating? People are coming to my door who have to be at least 17 or 18, and they're not even wearing a costume... It wouldn't annoy me so much if they at least put a costume on. And then some of them have the nerve to say "this house sucks" because I didn't give them as much candy as the 6 year old girl dressed like a princess. I can't remember how old I was when I quit going out collecting candy on Halloween, but I know It couldn't have been much older that 13 or 14, and at least I had a costume on.

Superluminal
2005-Nov-01, 03:33 AM
I still trick or treat, I just use my grandson as cover.

The Mangler
2005-Nov-01, 03:38 AM
That's different.

Enzp
2005-Nov-01, 07:07 AM
Mangler, a lot of communities nowdays have ordinances prohibiting kids over 14 - or whatever - from trick or treating.

I wandered around town tonight dressed as a balding plump middle aged bearded guy. They recognized me at the Chinese Buffet anyway. Go figger.

Gillianren
2005-Nov-01, 07:18 AM
If you're not in a costume, you don't get to trick-or-treat. That's my personal rule. However, Erma Bombeck said that, if you were more interested in the housewife handing out the candy than the candy itself, you're too old. Also if you rode into the neighborhood on your motorcycle. I personally made kind of a ritual of My Last Solo Trick-or-Treat Expedition (ie, not with my potential children) at age seventeen. And, yes, I was probably too old.

Enzp
2005-Nov-01, 07:32 AM
Well, after all, Stacy's mom has got it going on.

Lianachan
2005-Nov-01, 10:31 AM
Well, now, to be fair, Halloween is a Pagan holiday. Granted, it's a Catholic one, too, but it started as a Celtic tradition before the Christians came to Ireland. However, Christmas started as the feast of Mithras, and the fundamentalists trying to ban Halloween don't seem too worried about that.

I love the way that when pagan communities were christianised, existing festivals like the ancestors of christmas, easter and halloween were adopted into christianity. Pretty clever. No of course you don't have to stop doing that, Ulfthang. The really amusing thing is when people start banging on about "the true meaning of Christmas" or, even funnier, Easter - I find those who bang on about it the most are those who are the least aware of the origins of these festivals.

I can't be doing with the modern Halloween at all. It's become too Americanised. We had a great tradition of Halloween in this country, we'd go guising and suchlike. Kids these days, however, seem to refer to it as trick or treating, and I can't be doing with it at all. A friend suggested that a good way to deal with it was to get a large pumpkin, and leave it on the step with a sign saying "Don't knock, just help yourself!". Then fill it with mousetraps. It is, after all trick or treat!

WaxRubiks
2005-Nov-01, 10:36 AM
I have heared that the first chrisitans built their churches on pagan sites too. To kind of squash the pagan thing.

edit-does anyone know whether this is the reason why there are yew trees in a lot of churchyards?

Gillianren
2005-Nov-01, 08:12 PM
I have heared that the first chrisitans built their churches on pagan sites too. To kind of squash the pagan thing.

edit-does anyone know whether this is the reason why there are yew trees in a lot of churchyards?

Absolutely.

As for the yew trees . . . well, they're pretty, of course. But, yes, the yew is one of the sacred trees of the Druids, though not as well known as oak and ash and thorn and mistletoe. (Yet another Pagan tradition co-opted to convert the masses; mistletoe was sacred to the Druids, too.)

Samara
2005-Nov-01, 10:27 PM
I still trick or treat, and I'm fifteen. Of course, I and my friends were wearing costumes (one was a bananna and the other a dead Ashlee Simpson)

Jew-woo...*dies laughing*

Candy
2005-Nov-01, 10:45 PM
No one came to my house (8 unit condo building). There are security doors requiring a key or a buzz into the building as the first entrance. I guess kids don't want to go through the hassle. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/traurig/d045.gif

Gullible Jones
2005-Nov-01, 10:51 PM
My dad got about two dozen granola bars, half of which the trick-or-treaters took away. I tried one of the remaining ones... Absolutely vile, so damn sweet as to be nauseating. I swear I have never tasted a worse granola bar.

GDwarf
2005-Nov-01, 11:32 PM
Very few kids came this year, I'm actually fairly suprised, the number of people decorating/trick-or-treating seems to be dropping drastically. 2 years ago when you went ot my Highschool on the 31st you'd see about 1/4 of the kids in full costume, this year I was one of about 15, maybe 20.

Samara
2005-Nov-01, 11:46 PM
Pft. Did some of those 15-20 use Halloween to dress like...a lady of the evening? (to put politely)

Most people used Halloween as an excuse to dress casual (we have a uniform). They just wore a silly hat and called it a night.