PDA

View Full Version : Resurrecting Old Topics

2005-Oct-22, 08:49 AM
What's the word for the act of entering a forum and resurrecting dozens and dozens and dozens of old topics?

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-22, 09:38 AM
I'm guessing at anthropostologist. I have probably been a bit excited the last few days, I just think this is such a great place full of great ideas!, I'll vow to be more circumspect in future.

thanks.

cran
2005-Oct-22, 10:20 AM
it's not always easy to see that something is an old topic - especially when they turn up as 'new topics' on the board ... made that mistake myself a couple of times.

SolusLupus
2005-Oct-22, 03:17 PM
Resurrecting old topics doesn't seem to be TOO bad, though, as it might help explore more facts about the issue.

Meanwhile, posting to a topic just to bump it is a different issue, though I don't think that's an issue quite yet.

Anthropostology is a funny term :P

Eroica
2005-Oct-22, 03:41 PM
Resurrecting old topics doesn't seem to be TOO bad ... I don't think it's bad at all. If you have something relevant to ask or say about the topic, why start a new thread? Some helpful poster will only add a link to the earlier thread, and suggest you use the board's search function in future!

Posthumation is the best I can come up with. (I was trying to combine posthumous and exhumation....)

Disinfo Agent
2005-Oct-22, 03:48 PM
I don't have anything against resurrecting old threads, but just bumping a thread to post a couple of words that don't add any information to the topic is a waste of time and distracting to others reading the forum.

Musashi
2005-Oct-22, 03:56 PM
I don't have anything against resurrecting old threads, but just bumping a thread to post a couple of words that don't add any information to the topic is a waste of time and distracting to others reading the forum.

I agree.

cran
2005-Oct-22, 08:26 PM
I don't have anything against resurrecting old threads, but just bumping a thread to post a couple of words that don't add any information to the topic is a waste of time and distracting to others reading the forum. Who judges the value of someone's post? And is it the size of one's post that matters?

Wouldn't anthropostology be the study of living posts?
Posthumation is good ...
or archaeopostology for really dead, and buried ones ...
palaeopostology for fossilised ones...

Disinfo Agent
2005-Oct-22, 08:36 PM
I don't know the answers to the questions you ask, but let me just point out that I used the word 'information', not 'value', in my post. The amount of words in the post is not critical, provided it adds new and relevant information to the topic. Anyway, I'm just giving my opinion.

gethen
2005-Oct-22, 09:00 PM
I've been caught by a few resurrected posts lately too. In general, I have no problem with them. The problem is disciplining myself to check the original post date of the OP. I wish that info were available in the thread title, like the name of the original poster.
Can't have everything, I guess.;)

Musashi
2005-Oct-22, 09:12 PM
Who judges the value of someone's post? And is it the size of one's post that matters?

Wouldn't anthropostology be the study of living posts?
Posthumation is good ...

In some cases, it is easy. If I dug up a 2 year old thread and all I posted was, "Yeah" that would be pretty valueless, wouldn't it?

cran
2005-Oct-22, 09:19 PM
Understood, Disinfo Agent, and from what I've seen of your posts you have sufficient skills to judge the relevance (or value) of the information you provide; and do a creditable job in the process ...
but should we expect everybody in a large community (11,000 and counting) to have the same level of expertise? Especially when they might be recent arrivals?
I understand it can be irritating at times, on par with a 3 year old nephew who visits and says, "what are you doing? what's this? can I play with it?" as he happily demolishes your carefully constructed model to see what makes it tick, but 3 year olds get over it (and so do we) ... :o

Yes, gethen, that would help ... more if it were the date of the last previous post (because some threads have persisted for a long time) :)

cran
2005-Oct-22, 09:26 PM
In some cases, it is easy. If I dug up a 2 year old thread and all I posted was, "Yeah" that would be pretty valueless, wouldn't it?

That would depend on:
1) whether you knew it was a 2 year old post; and
2) whether 'yeah' was a nonsensical answer - you might simply be in agreement with the previous poster, in which case it would have value to you, and to the previous poster ...

Disinfo Agent
2005-Oct-22, 09:30 PM
Since bumping old threads is not forbidden by the forum rules, the only thing those of us who are bothered by it can do is politely suggest to newcomers that perhaps they shouldn't do it. ;)
Either that, or complain about it in threads like these, in the hope that they'll read our words and be swayed by our outstanding rhetorical skills. :D

azazul
2005-Oct-22, 09:53 PM
I am one who was wondering about the resurrecting old posts as well. But I am perfectly fine with it after reading this thread. It is better than starting a new thread on the subject, and the person resurrecting it may just want to see a more updated discussion on the topic they resurrected. So they may not really have any good information to add, but is wondering if someone else does. Of course, they could mention that in the post resurrecting the old thread.

cran
2005-Oct-22, 09:57 PM
Since bumping old threads is not forbidden by the forum rules, the only thing those of us who are bothered by it can do is politely suggest to newcomers that perhaps they shouldn't do it. ;) See! I knew you were a genius! ... There are a couple of 'sticky threads' especially for newcomers (eg, 'Welcome to BAUT' and of course, 'The Rules') - a polite warning in one (or both?), and perhaps a link to Fraser's post about why so many of the old posts were turning up on 'new post' searches ...?

Either that, or complain about it in threads like these, in the hope that they'll read our words and be swayed by our outstanding rhetorical skills. :D Yeah, well that might work too ... :lol:

Musashi
2005-Oct-22, 10:00 PM
That would depend on:
1) whether you knew it was a 2 year old post; and
2) whether 'yeah' was a nonsensical answer - you might simply be in agreement with the previous poster, in which case it would have value to you, and to the previous poster ...

Like Disinfo Agent says, it ismostly a matter of persoanl opinion and preferences. But,...

1) How could you not know it is two years old? Those threads are deep in the list, I am guessing 20 pages back. It would be common sense that it is at least old and then it is only a matter of checking the date of the last post to see the actual age.

2)Even if yeah makes perfect sense in the context, if it is two years old, no one is paying attention anymore. The post is valueless, let it go. If there is something one wants to say, then say it. Add an anecdote or a relevant link or something about recent research in the subject. Otherwise, what is the point, really? Evenm if I am digging through old posts and find that someone directed a question at me 2 years ago, chances are, they don't expect an answer anymore. Answering it in the thread is probably pointless. IF I really think they would be interested in my answer, I would probably private message them.

I am not pointing any fingers are saying any particular posts are worthless. I am just saying that it is possible to type out a worthless post, and I think we should all try not to.

cran
2005-Oct-22, 10:05 PM
1) How could you not know it is two years old? Those threads are deep in the list, I am guessing 20 pages back. It would be common sense that it is at least old and then it is only a matter of checking the date of the last post to see the actual age. Because since the merger, a lot of these 2 year old posts have been turning up as 'new posts' without the initial post date (in fact, they've turned up with 'today's date') - Fraser posted an explanation for this somewhere ...

Musashi
2005-Oct-22, 10:47 PM
Ah, I hadn't seen that. I have noticed some posts turning up without even the initial post recently.

Also, back at the BABB, fluff posting (post with no value) was frowned upon per the rules, but here there is no such stance. That may be why that kind of posting bothers some people.

cran
2005-Oct-22, 10:57 PM
Understood. I guess there'll be a bit of 'settling in' for a while yet ... and, if someone turns out to be a consistent (or persistent) 'fluff' poster, they'll get smacked down soon enough... the mods seem to do a good job of policing ...

Fraser
2005-Oct-23, 12:06 AM
I have no problem when someone new joins the forum and makes a bunch of posts out of enthusiasm. I think it's great to see, and would much rather see that than people remain lurkers. Post on prolific posters, post on.

SolusLupus
2005-Oct-23, 12:11 AM
Fraser rocks.

No, really.

Maksutov
2005-Oct-23, 12:37 AM
Enthusiasm is great, as long as it's coupled with at least a modicum of discretion, control, and pertinent information.

For example (taking the blanket out of the washing machine and casting it about) there posts such as this (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=583628&postcount=3) (see Post #3) that meet the criteria for not adding value, as well as being rather presumptuous and misinformed.

Reminds me of newbies coming on and immediately criticizing the FAQs, or in certain cases, the nicknames of board members. Good, quick way to wear out one's welcome, it would seem.

[edit/ww]

Fraser
2005-Oct-23, 12:54 AM
Well, the last thing I want to do is critique other people based on the quality of their posts. In some cases, some enthusastic 15-year old has just joined the forum and is posting up a storm. They might do a bunch of "I agree" posts, but honestly, does it really harm the forum? Everyone, without fail, runs out of steam and settles into whatever final role they'll play in the community. And I really don't want us to get into the job of measuring a post's value.

Obviously we need to enforce the rules of the forum, but those are to stop people from being jerks. I'll never curb people's enthusiasm.

And prolific posts and threads eventually sink into the archive. Until some anthropostologist comes along to dig them up.

Maksutov
2005-Oct-23, 01:07 AM
You're the administrator.

Blanket is in the dryer.

Fluff filter is off.

Matthew
2005-Oct-23, 01:08 AM
For example (taking the blanket out of the washing machine and casting it about) there posts such as this (see Reply #3) that meet the criteria for not adding value, as well as being rather presumptuous and misinformed.

We are looking into, this but this may be a problem with the new vB software. Similar problems are not limited to our forum with reports that there have been a few bugs in the new vB software. Fraser is looking into this, so these "fluff" postings may not be the poster's fault, but a mistake in the software outside their control.

R.A.F.
2005-Oct-25, 10:46 AM
We are looking into, this but this may be a problem with the new vB software. Similar problems are not limited to our forum with reports that there have been a few bugs in the new vB software. Fraser is looking into this, so these "fluff" postings may not be the poster's fault, but a mistake in the software outside their control.

That's understandable...but could someone explain to me how this (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=7778) could possibly be a "software mistake"??

edited to change "fine" to "understandable"...

papageno
2005-Oct-25, 12:32 PM
Posthumation is good ...
I always used the term thread necromancy...

WaxRubiks
2005-Oct-25, 12:35 PM
the day/night of the living thread.

R.A.F.
2005-Oct-25, 02:02 PM
I'm having a problem with jkmccrann's "posting style".

Not only is he "resurrecting" very old threads (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=113)

He's also posting to threads that have no posts (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=18982) associated with them...(I assume the reason there are no posts is because of the age of the threads...this particular one was started by jbjbmedina, yet the first post is not jbjbmedina's.)

Now how do I know that "he knows" that there are no threads associated with certain topics he's posted to??

...because he said so himself (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=8049).

I really hate to "go against" the admin. here, but IMO this "sort of thing" goes way beyond simple "enthusiasm".

As I have previously stated, I have no problem with a thread being "bumped"...but it's an entirely different thing to go out of your way to "find" old threads to bump...which is appearently what jkmccrann has been doing...

If the mods/admin think I'm being "out of line" here, please let me know...

edited to add...I realize that the 1st and 3rd examples above are from a few days ago...but the 2nd example is from earlier this morning...

Maksutov
2005-Oct-25, 02:08 PM
I am in agreement with R.A.F.'s observations and comments.

Surely there must be a general rule against the equivalent of littering. If not, we need one.

WaxRubiks
2005-Oct-25, 02:12 PM
this (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=20583)|(dated2003) bumped thread, about the space shuttle, could confuse some people.

R.A.F.
2005-Oct-25, 02:20 PM
this (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=20583)|(dated2003) bumped thread, about the space shuttle, could confuse some people.

Yes, that is perfectly understandable...which is why I excluded "updated Universe Today" posts from my "examples".

hhEb09'1
2005-Oct-25, 03:15 PM
A couple thread topics appear in the forum Small Media at Large, both recently posted to by jkmccrann, but I cannot see any of the other posts to the threads. Weirdly, when I roll my cursor over one of them (Polaris being bright), it shows the OP to say "We're even now, kilopi :wink:", but I cannot read the OP itself.

Fraser
2005-Oct-25, 03:41 PM
This really seems like some kind of bug in the forum structure. Like I said, I'm going to run some maintenance scripts first.

WaxRubiks
2005-Oct-25, 04:01 PM
Alot of the bumped threads would have been deleted in the BABBle slimlining a few months ago but I seem to remember the BA saying that he wasn't able to delete the threads with polls. A lot of the bumped threads have polls.

R.A.F.
2005-Oct-25, 04:47 PM
This really seems like some kind of bug in the forum structure. Like I said, I'm going to run some maintenance scripts first.

I understand "that" part of it....where you're "farming in" old Universe Today threads...and "posting" them today...

What I'm talking about is going out of "ones" way to find old threads...and I've finally got an example...:)

At this moment jkmccrann is viewing "Gene Cernan survives helicopter crash" on the Astronomy forum. It's on the 3rd page from the end of all the posts to the Astronomy forum.

He seems to be "looking" for old threads...as I've just demonstrated...perhaps he's confused as to which "end" is the beginning and which is the end...(see, I can give the benefit of the doubt. :))

edited to add...and now he has posted to "Gene Cernan survives helicopter". The only way I knew what thread he was viewing was to tke a "gamble" and go to the end of the Astronomy forum and look. That's how I knew it was the 3rd page from the end.

I rest my case...

Nowhere Man
2005-Oct-25, 05:52 PM
I wonder if jkmccrann has his Thread Display Mode option set to Linear - Oldest First? Or is he just a trouble-maker (intentional or not?)

Fred

ToSeek
2005-Oct-25, 05:55 PM
I understand "that" part of it....where you're "farming in" old Universe Today threads...and "posting" them today...

What I'm talking about is going out of "ones" way to find old threads...and I've finally got an example...:)

At this moment jkmccrann is viewing "Gene Cernan survives helicopter crash" on the Astronomy forum. It's on the 3rd page from the end of all the posts to the Astronomy forum.

He seems to be "looking" for old threads...as I've just demonstrated...perhaps he's confused as to which "end" is the beginning and which is the end...(see, I can give the benefit of the doubt. :))

edited to add...and now he has posted to "Gene Cernan survives helicopter". The only way I knew what thread he was viewing was to tke a "gamble" and go to the end of the Astronomy forum and look. That's how I knew it was the 3rd page from the end.

I rest my case...

And even though he's now posted to it, the thread is still on the third from the last page of "Astronomy" and shows no signs of being updated until you open it up.

R.A.F.
2005-Oct-25, 06:02 PM
...and it looks like the Astronomy forum hasn't "updated" in the last 2 and a half hours...

Disinfo Agent
2005-Oct-25, 06:17 PM
This is getting spooky! :eek:

Talk about fluff posting, hey? ;)

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 09:21 AM
Okay, I followed jkmccrann around for about 2 hours. Do I get paid for this?

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 09:23 AM
I pestered him 10X the normal of what I expect I do to you guys. :)

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 09:38 AM
He's back. I'm getting tired. I like jkmccrann for some reason. :)

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 09:53 AM
Oh, he was looking at this thread. I feel bad now. See above... I said I like you know who... ;)

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 10:38 AM
long live the queeb

I have a feeling he is the same as jkmccrann.

Don't quote me on this.

mickal555
2005-Oct-26, 10:46 AM
This is getting spooky! :eek:

Talk about fluff posting, hey? ;)

see above lol ;)

I must say that jkmccrann's is getting on my nerves too...
Maybe it is a software problem- I'm not going to say it's entirerly intentional-
but how can a software problem effect only one person...

Personally I have bumped a couple of old threads- and I do occasionally look at the really old ones- just to see the discussion that went on back then...

I have a theory- maybe jkmccrann is trying to get all the locked threads together at the end? Maybe not... just an idea

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 10:51 AM
long live the queeb

I have a feeling he is the same as jkmccrann.

Don't quote me on this.
Hey, I'm just trying to crack the mystery. I think these two people above are the same person.

WaxRubiks
2005-Oct-26, 11:28 AM
Okay, I followed jkmccrann around for about 2 hours. Do I get paid for this?

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/8144/pi7zh.png (http://imageshack.us)

Wolverine
2005-Oct-26, 11:45 AM
Folks, please don't gossip about other posters, nor make allegations of sock puppetry. That's impolite.

R.A.F.
2005-Oct-26, 11:45 AM
Maybe it is a software problem- I'm not going to say it's entirerly intentional-
but how can a software problem effect only one person...

Yes...now jkmccrann has "bumped" one of my "old" threads (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=20414)
...old as in less than 2 months...so there is certainly some form of software problem...BUT...

...that doesn't mean that jkmccrann is "obliged" to seek out these threads...

This does not make me happy, as I have posted
here (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=587200&postcount=15).

Surely there must be a general rule against the equivalent of littering. If not, we need one.

I am in complete agreement..."littering" is precisely the right word to describe jkmccrann's posting "style".

How much longer will this be allowed before "something" is done???

Fraser
2005-Oct-26, 06:54 PM
I'd like to understand your concerns.

What rules should we add to the forum to prevent this kind of thing from happening? I'm not going to come down on someone who isn't breaking forum rules - that seems a little arbitrary.

How would you define littering?

WaxRubiks
2005-Oct-26, 07:09 PM
I can think of a rule that could even be part of the software.
Since in an old thread there might be posters who nolonger post, even their emails might be different, so that they wouldn't even know that the thread had been bumped-you could have the rule(software or not) that a thread cannot be bumped if one of the poster on that thread as not posted anywhere on the board in the last,say, six months.

that seems fair as if all the posters are still active then they can respond.

2005-Oct-26, 07:37 PM

What rules should we add to the forum to prevent this kind of thing from happening? I'm not going to come down on someone who isn't breaking forum rules - that seems a little arbitrary.

How would you define littering?

Suppose, hypothetically -- it hasn't happened -- someone posted, say, 1000 articles a day that were effectively "That's interesting," or, "I agree." That isn't proscribed by the rules, that I can tell, but it would make the forum itself fairly uninteresting and disagreeable. Maybe it would be covered under the "extending others basic respect" clause, because it does disrespect the other members, in a way. Is it worthy of a more specific rule?

I'm just trying to leave the resurrection part out of it. There should be some point at which some volume of low-value posts begets some feedback so the pattern stops for the good of the forum. Maybe the feedback should just be social pressure to cease, rather than a threat of banishment because of a (new) rule violation.

(Social pressure hereby exerted: if you are one who might do a lot of low-value posts, don't! Please! It reduces the value of this forum. Thank you.)

As for the posts of the specific member whose name came up here, I don't know much. After seeing a pattern I did not appreciate, I quickly added my very first member to my Ignore List, so I don't know if the quality has improved and/or the volume reduced.

Similar sentiment, weak though it is, escaped the US Supreme Court: I don't know how to define "forum littering", but I know it when I see it.

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 07:38 PM
http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/8144/pi7zh.png (http://imageshack.us)
That is funny!

I'm sorry, Wolverine, for making allegations. I just find the whole situation very odd.

I am beginning to understand jkmccrann. Plus, he (or she) sent me a very nice email. :)

gethen
2005-Oct-26, 09:12 PM
Social pressure, as suggested by 01101001 seems the best alternative. If I open a thread that has apparently been resurrected for no reason other than to make a cute comment, the best thing for me to do is ignore it. Don't add to it. Lack of response will probably make that activity less entertaining, eventually. Continuing the dialogue just encourages the "litterer."
I don't see how we can just forbid thread resurrection. Sometimes there's good reason for it.

Van Rijn
2005-Oct-26, 09:41 PM
Sometimes that helps, sometimes it doesn't.

On rules: It is reasonable to bump a thread if you have something relevant to add, such as new findings on the subject, and if you only do it occasionally. But adding "me too" posts to more than one "dead" thread in a single day should be considered "littering." Doing this with multiple threads repeatedly day after day should be unacceptable.

publiusr
2005-Oct-26, 09:52 PM
I have a theory- maybe jkmccrann is trying to get all the locked threads together at the end? Maybe not... just an idea

It's Alive! It's Alive!

Just call him the Son of Re-Animator.

"Here goes."

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Oct-27, 06:11 AM
While I can understand this sort of thing might irritate people, I'm not sure there is anything actionable about someone resurrecting old threads.

If it were some attempt to spam the board, or attack it in some way, then I could understand this. But if this is simply an irritant, then I suggest you try to ignore it.

SolusLupus
2005-Oct-27, 06:14 AM
To be honest, jkmccrann isn't annoying me as much as amusing me. If that counts for anything - there's one person he doesn't seem to be annoying too much :)

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-27, 07:44 AM
To be honest, jkmccrann isn't annoying me as much as amusing me. If that counts for anything - there's one person he doesn't seem to be annoying too much :)

Cheers Lonewulf, can someone define for me how old a thread has to be to be considered an old thread?

Is it a month? 2 months? 3 months? 6 months? 1 year?

Its true that defining a thread as old is probably contingent upon defining the forum that its been posted to, for some of these fora turn over at a much higher rate than others.

This forum takes 2-3 weeks, Off-Topic takes less than a day, whilst BA Stories hasn't yet turned over once.

Fram
2005-Oct-27, 07:53 AM
I think a thread where no one has posted for a month can be considered an old thread, and most people (me included) seem to think that if you don't have new information regarding the subject, resurrecting it is irritating.

Just try to imagine that we had fifty members doing what you have been doing the last few days (ignoring for a moment the useful posts you have made). We would have perhaps 300 threads in the off-topic babbling resurrected every day, making it very hard to see what the current discussions, news articles, and topics of interest are.

Another effect you achieve is that people put you on their ignore list (someon here has already said he has done that), thereby also ignoring the good posts or poignant questions you make.

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-27, 08:04 AM
I think a thread where no one has posted for a month can be considered an old thread, and most people (me included) seem to think that if you don't have new information regarding the subject, resurrecting it is irritating.

Just try to imagine that we had fifty members doing what you have been doing the last few days (ignoring for a moment the useful posts you have made). We would have perhaps 300 threads in the off-topic babbling resurrected every day, making it very hard to see what the current discussions, news articles, and topics of interest are.

Another effect you achieve is that people put you on their ignore list (someon here has already said he has done that), thereby also ignoring the good posts or poignant questions you make.

True enough, the point you made in your second paragraph is a well-made point that had not occured to me.

Yorkshireman
2005-Oct-27, 09:22 AM
I don't think it is anything that can be turned into a forum rule. There are sometimes justifiable reasons for bringing an old thread back to the front - say someone on a thread made a prediction, that in a year's time such-and-such will be seen to happen - and I pull them up on it at the appointed time. That to me is legitimate. Also for some of these long-term space missions bumping a thread after months of inactivity is not unknown.

Not bumping old threads without a good reason is just a board etiquette, I think, rather than any rule that can be enforced.

Argos
2005-Oct-27, 11:13 AM
No more rules please. I think we have enough rules in this tortured world. What is happening here is just a behavioral fluctuation, weird but acceptable.

R.A.F.
2005-Oct-27, 11:43 AM

Well, basically what Fram posted...

While I can understand this sort of thing might irritate people, I'm not sure there is anything actionable about someone resurrecting old threads.

If it were some attempt to spam the board, or attack it in some way, then I could understand this. But if this is simply an irritant, then I suggest you try to ignore it.

Which I will now do by putting jkmccrann on my "ignore list".

There is another "related" issue, which I will address on "Duplicate Threads".

Swift
2005-Oct-27, 12:55 PM
Make that two of us. In fact, some of the bumps have brought threads to light that I find interesting and I was not aware of, since they pre-date the merger and they were from the UT forum.

It might be a matter of how a new person gets comfortable on a forum. I personally am more of the style of stepping carefully, at first afraid to even post something, and just sitting back and watching for a while. But I think some people just like to jump in with both feet (hands?) and to show that they are part of the group and interested in the discussions.

I don't particularly like Frog March's suggestion that an "old" thread can't be bumped if a poster in that thread is inactive. That would mean that one person leaving the board could effectively shutdown threads by their absence.

I agree that bumping old threads with "me too's" can be annoying. But I rather have old threads re-animated with new information, than starting a completely new thread all the time someone else has two cents to add in.

CJSF
2005-Oct-27, 02:56 PM
I noticed in this ressurrected thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=636), that there is a post by Hub', but without his username... it's blank (username, not post)! Does this relate to any of the problems Hub' has had with the BAUT board? Is he still having issues?

CJSF

aurora
2005-Oct-27, 07:57 PM

I seem to recall someone on the old BABB who did this for a day or so, basically tried an attack by posting simple phrases (like "I agree") to the end of as many old threads as possible. This resulted in the new posts with actual content being hard to find in all the old posts with no new content that looked new.

Unfortunately, I do not recall the users name, but I seem to recall it resulted in a banning.

Fraser
2005-Oct-27, 08:26 PM
That would result in a banning as well, because it's obviously an attempt to mess up the forum.

cran
2005-Oct-30, 12:16 PM
fraser, it just happened again in UT Stories - with today's post date, but the stories have no replies and are at least 2 years old (eg Upgraded Hubble; Ring of Stars around Milky Way; Gamma Rays may be from supernovas) about half a dozen of them - they look for all the world like new postings from you (ie today's newsletter stories) and until someone checks the post date on the 'full article', it could clearly be mistaken for a new posting.

R.A.F.
2005-Oct-30, 05:38 PM
But if this is simply an irritant...

When does it "cross the line" from being just an irritant??

For example...jkmccrann has "bumped" in excess of 25 old threads today.

R.A.F.
2005-Oct-30, 06:09 PM
jkmccrann has "bumped" in excess of 25 old threads today.

That's a bit of an exaggeration...I actually counted them and it turns out that he "only" bumped 19 old threads today.

But I think my point still stands...

cran
2005-Oct-30, 08:31 PM
That's a bit of an exaggeration...I actually counted them and it turns out that he "only" bumped 19 old threads today.
But I think my point still stands...
But has he 'bumped' them, or replied to what looked like 'new' topics, without checking the source date on the attached article (if any) - please see my posting immediately above your previous one.

Candy
2005-Oct-30, 08:40 PM
Well, he/she is off to the races for the next 2 weeks.
Spring Racing Carnival all week,
starts today, Derby Day, ends next saturday, Stakes Day, in between are Cup
Day & Oaks Day, two mid-week public holidays here in Melbourne. One
official, one unofficial.
:cry:

cran
2005-Oct-30, 08:51 PM
No, it's only one week ...
and most don't actually go to the track - just to the nearest TV within reach of alcohol - we're Australians, remember?

R.A.F.
2005-Oct-30, 09:02 PM
But has he 'bumped' them, or replied to what looked like 'new' topics, without checking the source date on the attached article (if any) - please see my posting immediately above your previous one.

Point taken...and that helps but not a lot. "Universe Today" threads account for 2 out of the 19. The others he had to actually look for, as in "where's an old thread I can bump"? So the questions in my mind are...Is that excessive? Does that go beyond irritation? Is the daily bumping of that many threads something to be concerned about?

I must answer yes to all 3 questions.

Hey, if a mod/admin. tells me that I'm making "much ado over nothing", then I will drop this permanently.

Tensor
2005-Oct-30, 09:27 PM
Iv'e been caught several times by a bumped thread. What I've had to start doing is checking the dates on the first post in the thread, just to make sure it's current.

WaxRubiks
2005-Oct-30, 09:34 PM
what ever happens, no one mention the 0.999...=1 threads.

just don't mention them and we'll be alright.

Candy
2005-Oct-30, 09:44 PM
what ever happens, no one mention the 0.999...=1 threads.

just don't mention them and we'll be alright.
What thread, do you have a link? ;)

cran
2005-Oct-30, 10:16 PM
Point taken...and that helps but not a lot. "Universe Today" threads account for 2 out of the 19. The others he had to actually look for, as in "where's an old thread I can bump"? So the questions in my mind are...Is that excessive? Does that go beyond irritation? Is the daily bumping of that many threads something to be concerned about?
I must answer yes to all 3 questions.
Hey, if a mod/admin. tells me that I'm making "much ado over nothing", then I will drop this permanently.
2 out of 19; okay, then either the 'reincarnation' problem is more widespread, or as you say, jmm... is 'thread-mining' -
I tried to send a PM but the option hasn't been allowed; so I took the follow-up action provided and messaged the administrator -

it's not fair that you have to wade through the results, whether the action is intentional or not -
on the other hand, it would not be fair to 'run the lad out of town' if he doesn't know what he's doing -
and on the third hand (don't look at me like that - never seen a triped before?) - what would Candy do for amusement, if not this? :D

Candy
2005-Oct-30, 10:24 PM
I will say I got quite an adrenaline rush following jk around. :D

cran
2005-Oct-30, 10:58 PM
well, whatever stokes your fire ... I guess :o

R.A.F.
2005-Oct-31, 11:49 AM
I'm going to leave this subject alone for now...even I am getting tired of my complaining...:)

Fortunate
2005-Oct-31, 08:39 PM
I don't see how we could phrase a good general "rule." This is more of an interpersonal (or interposter) situation.

Argos
2005-Nov-01, 01:16 PM
Now I´m starting to get annoyed. :rolleyes:

Moose
2005-Nov-01, 01:59 PM
Yeah, this is getting really old. Really, really old. We shouldn't have to check the posting dates on every thread to see if it's not (long) past it's relevant-before date.

I've never been a big user of usenet-style killfiles, but I'm placing jkmccrann on my ignore list once I finish this post, the idea being that the ignore-notification will be a good marker for exhumed threads I can safely ignore alongside of jkmccrann himself.

Yorkshireman
2005-Nov-01, 02:28 PM
Same here. Exhuming the Iraq thread was well off base. jkmccrann, you must be aware by now that many are finding your style an annoyance. Exhuming a thread which had potential to turn politically nasty in 2003, and even more so now, 2 years on, is hardly treading cautiously in response. Is it?

The first entry into my ignore list has been made.

R.A.F.
2005-Nov-01, 04:23 PM
Before anyone says it....

I apologize for my "pre-emptive bump" (I see it has been removed, as It should have been.)

All I can say is...Birthday Madness...yeah...that's what it was...:)

edited to add...Yikes! I thought it had been removed, but now it's back...

cran
2005-Nov-01, 04:39 PM
Before anyone says it....

I apologize for my "pre-emptive bump" (I see it has been removed, as It should have been.)

All I can say is...Birthday Madness...yeah...that's what it was...:)

edited to add...Yikes! I thought it had been removed, but now it's back...
You need some follow-up surgery on your 'pre-emptive bump'?
Hope it's not malignant ... could ruin a chap's birthday ... :sad:
Happy Birthday R.A.F. !
:D

weatherc
2005-Nov-01, 04:40 PM
The first entry into my ignore list has been made.
Just did the same thing today. I only wish that the software had an icon when browsing the forums that showed "ignored user posted in this thread," that way I wouldn't need to open it to see that it was a resurrected one.

R.A.F.
2005-Nov-01, 04:52 PM
Happy Birthday R.A.F. !

Thanks...and darn it...I was just going to remove the post you just quoted....aarrggg...:lol:

cran
2005-Nov-01, 10:20 PM
Thanks...and darn it...I was just going to remove the post you just quoted....aarrggg...:lol:

In the immortal words of the late, great, Don Adams ...

"Sorry about that, Chief" :shifty:

Maksutov
2005-Nov-02, 09:27 AM
Same here. Exhuming the Iraq thread was well off base. jkmccrann, you must be aware by now that many are finding your style an annoyance. Exhuming a thread which had potential to turn politically nasty in 2003, and even more so now, 2 years on, is hardly treading cautiously in response. Is it?

The first entry into my ignore list has been made.I agree re the Iraq thread and the rest of what you wrote. jkmccrann is also the first entry on my ignore list. Enough chaff already. http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/4627/eusarolleyes7ou.gif

Eroica
2005-Nov-02, 11:14 AM
Can a person on your ignore list still PM you (to announce, for example, that they have reformed and would appreciate it if you could restore them to their former status!)?

Moose
2005-Nov-02, 12:56 PM
Eroica, as I understand the board software, one of two things would happen. Either an ignoree would be prevented from PMing the ignorer entirely, or the same thing would happen that happens to ignored posts, the post is blanked out with the ignored notification and the ignorer then has the option of clicking to view the post anyway (or not.)

But all I can really say is that actions speak far louder than mere words. It will be obvious by the lack of resurrected threads if/when jkmccrann has finally knocked off the Frankenstein act and settled down. What happens from there, should it occur, will be up to the individual ignorer.

R.A.F.
2005-Nov-15, 02:11 PM
Haven't been around for a while...now that I'm back I've noticed that jkmccrann is still posting to "dead threads".

trinitree88
2005-Nov-15, 02:36 PM
The AGS, installed in Brookhaven in the early sixties, was first suggested in the late thirties by a technician. Since he had no "formal" schooling, he was summarily dismissed for twenty years with the idea.:naughty: When his "old thread" was revisited, they finally realized he was on to something.:clap: Coupled with strong focusing introduced at Serpukhov (sp?), and modern superconducting magnets...you have the contemporary Supercollider design. Kind of like TV's Cold Case Files..Eh? :dance: Ciao. Pete.

R.A.F.
2005-Nov-15, 02:47 PM
Nice story...I don't see any "connection" between your story and jkmccrann...but it was a nice story...

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-15, 03:48 PM
That was... random.

Moose
2005-Nov-15, 05:27 PM
I think trinitree88 may be cautionning us that jkmccrann might just be some sort of visionary in his world, and that if we let him resurrect every old thread that has ever existed on either board, and/or listen to every "non-formally" educated individual who ends up in ATM and take their word without question or objection, our blind squirrels might just find a nut once in a while.

Or it was the output of some new web-based randomized babble-generator. I'm not really sure which.

Musashi
2005-Nov-15, 06:06 PM
At least Moon Man distracted us from this for a while. :)

Moose
2005-Nov-15, 07:15 PM
At least Moon Man distracted us from this for a while. :)

*snort* True enough, although I was distracted enough by driver troubles that I missed most of the Moon Man flap.

ATI Catalyst 5.10, for all I could tell, was horribly unstable. For the life of me I couldn't get them to work with both Sims 2 and Kotor2, and/or with framerates anywhere near what I'd had before (in the 4.something series).

Thankfully, ATI released 5.11 a few days ago and all seems to be good so far.

Musashi
2005-Nov-15, 07:37 PM
Heh, both Civ IV and Pirates have been causing my computer to reboot randomly (well, maybe not randomly, it always seems to happen at the worst possible time for my gameplay. God, is that you?). I have a feeling it is either semi-broken hardware (motherboard), a heat issue, or a borked stick of RAM. So, as you can see, I have it nearly pinpointed ;)

Moose
2005-Nov-15, 07:55 PM
Heh, both Civ IV and Pirates have been causing my computer to reboot randomly (well, maybe not randomly, it always seems to happen at the worst possible time for my gameplay. God, is that you?). I have a feeling it is either semi-broken hardware (motherboard), a heat issue, or a borked stick of RAM. So, as you can see, I have it nearly pinpointed ;)

Hmm. Think we could somehow justify giving each other fully-rigged custom Alienwares for Christmas? :dance:

Merry Christmas, Buddy. :D

Musashi
2005-Nov-15, 08:01 PM
:) I wish.

trinitree88
2005-Nov-15, 08:29 PM
resurrecting old threads" may result in a nut for the squirrel once in a while", was exactly my point.That's why we not only search, but research the literature. I do not feel that my comment was irrelevant to the discussion at hand, but was pointing out that rethinking a thought train through once more, with your latest mental perspective, may produce an entirely different conclusion.
As an example, I once dated a young lady who had her own theory of the universe. A simple assumption prefaced her idea...the universe was elliptical, not spherical. I listened attentively, but didn't necessarily agree wholeheartedly, as I had my prejudicial point of view, with a lot more physical science behind it. She was understandably annoyed. But when the second Hubble Deep Field showed that in the Southern Hemisphere there were twice as many galaxies per square degree of sky...it made me wonder.:silenced: Pete.

Gillianren
2005-Nov-15, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I'd agree with you . . . if something of interest were contributed to the old threads. However, resurrecting a years-old thread to inform the BA that the heading he was moving it to no longer exists is not going to advance learning except to show that the BABB had different forum titles than the BAUT, a thing I think can be assumed anyway.

Or resurrecting a years-old thread about a hurricane that's long since history to wish people about to face a new, different hurricane well--when there's already a thread doing just that.

In short, often the threads resurrected are frivolous and serve no purpose in increasing knowledge.

SG-1 Fan
2005-Dec-02, 05:04 AM
. . .I've noticed that jkmccrann is still posting to "dead threads".

Me too. :mad: As recently as today! It’s apparently not enough to put a poster on your “Ignore List” (first and only poster BTW). It would be good if you could see the date of the original post in a thread when you “hover” over the title (IMO).

paulie jay
2005-Dec-02, 01:28 PM
So if I asked if any BAUT members were ignoring me I wouldn't actually get a reply would I...?

Moose
2005-Dec-02, 01:49 PM
So if I asked if any BAUT members were ignoring me I wouldn't actually get a reply would I...?

Only if someone quoted you. :p

I suppose "is anybody ignoring me" is in the same class of request as "Please raise your hand if you're unconcious."

paulie jay
2005-Dec-02, 02:06 PM
:lol:

I was starting to think about trees falling in forests.

Yorkshireman
2005-Dec-02, 03:36 PM
:whistle:

mickal555
2005-Dec-02, 05:49 PM
:eek:

is anyone ignoring me....

:shifty:

I don't mind jkmccrann as a person but he is slowly driving me nuts....
I read subscribed threads- then go through the forums reading new topics....

sometimes I read multiple(3,4 ,5 ,6....) pages before I relise the date- It eats up a fair amount of time :wall:

please stop... :sad:

Argos
2005-Dec-02, 06:48 PM
I don't mind jkmccrann as a person but he is slowly driving me nuts.

Yes my dear Mickal... Granted jkmccrann is a good fellow. I´ve even got to read some good stuff he posted. However this is really messing up things. I´m wasting a fair amount of time meandering through old threads. Ok, it´s not against the rules, but, out of curiosity, aren´t you doing this just to irritate us, jkmccrann?

publiusr
2005-Dec-02, 11:15 PM
A lot of new folks may also talk about old threads--which are new to them after all.

paulie jay
2005-Dec-03, 12:50 AM
:whistle:

Would somebody please tell Yorkshireman that he's not being very funny... http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/boese/c045.gif

Moose
2005-Dec-03, 04:10 PM
A lot of new folks may also talk about old threads--which are new to them after all.

And if they have something valuable to add, then I welcome the occasional bump.

Like all netiquette issues, this isn't something that can (or should) be engraved on stone tablets, but at the same time, like other netiquette issues, gentle education is certainly appropriate to correct problems before they become problems.

In this case, however, jmccrann has intentionally resisted gentle persuasion, to the point of breaking a promise he'd made in this very thread to knock it off after having acknowledged his behavior was a problem.

As the situation is one of jmccrann's own making, my ability to sympathize with him and/or cut him any slack whatsoever is somewhat limited.

Enzp
2005-Dec-03, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I agree.

Har har har.

I haven't explored the tools of this forum, I had no idea you could "follow" someone as they posted and browsed. Oh geez, I hope nobody was watching when I... Oh geez. I swear I never touched....

R.A.F.
2005-Dec-03, 07:06 PM
And if they have something valuable to add, then I welcome the occasional bump.

Nice emphasis. :)

I feel exactly the same way...jkm is not going to discontinue this behaviour, and the admin. appearently considers it appropriate for him to continue to do so....so...

I suggest that this thread be closed...it serves no purpose if nothing is going to be done...

mickal555
2005-Dec-03, 07:25 PM
don't lock it....

I wanna bump it in a couple of years....

Disinfo Agent
2005-Dec-03, 09:02 PM
sometimes I read multiple(3,4 ,5 ,6....) pages before I relise the date- It eats up a fair amount of time :wall: That's a testament to the quality of the forum. ;)

Van Rijn
2005-Dec-04, 01:58 AM
:eek:

is anyone ignoring me....

:shifty:

I don't mind jkmccrann as a person but he is slowly driving me nuts....

For the record, he is the only one I have on my ignore list. I don't even like doing that - I think ignoring people on a forum is a bad habit. I would stop ignoring him if he used more discretion in resurrecting old threads. An occasional one I can live with, but this is ridiculous.

sometimes I read multiple(3,4 ,5 ,6....) pages before I relise the date- It eats up a fair amount of time :wall:

These days, when I start reading a thread I don't remember seeing I initially scroll up and look at post dates. And, if the last post on a thread is by jkmccrann, I don't bother looking at it.

Candy
2005-Dec-05, 09:06 AM
Bump :lol:

mickal555
2005-Dec-07, 05:45 PM
GAH!!!!

The constent bumps from jkmaclean are driving me completly insane!!!
Why WHY!!!!

I wanted to PM him but he doesn't allow PM's or Emails...

so...

Why do you keep bumping old threads?
Is there any reason???

EvilBob
2005-Dec-08, 12:31 AM
I'll back you there, Mickal. I took him off my ignore list, because it doesn't help. I'll agree it's not a banning offense, but doesn't it warrant a warning when he constantly bumps 3-4 year old threads to add a 'me too' comment? How is that very different from trolling? jkmccrann, why do you find it necessary to be so irritating?

Jeff Root
2005-Dec-08, 01:25 AM
I'll agree it's not a banning offense, but doesn't it warrant a
warning when he constantly bumps 3-4 year old threads to add a
'me too' comment? How is that very different from trolling?
jkmccrann, why do you find it necessary to be so irritating?

I doubt that he intends to irritate anyone. The moderators
need to find out from him why he is replying to old threads,
so they can know what to suggest to him to do differently.
He must be aware that it is irritating, but he might have no
idea why it is irritating. Maybe he sees no difference between
replying to a week-old post and a two-year-old post because he
has no sense of long-term passage of time more specific than
"today" and "before today". Or maybe he isn't able to judge
what is worth commenting on and what isn't. Or maybe he
compulsively comments on everything.

-- Jeff in Minneapolis

Lianachan
2005-Dec-08, 10:59 AM
Has he ever explained this peculiar habit anywhere? He must realise that this behaviour is annoying a sizeable part of the population here, and if he continues to carry on anyway then this behaviour is at the very least rude, and could even be thought of as trolling. Either one of those is surely worth a smack on the knuckles from a moderator.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Dec-08, 11:45 AM
I doubt that he intends to irritate anyone. The moderators
need to find out from him why he is replying to old threads,
so they can know what to suggest to him to do differently.
He must be aware that it is irritating, but he might have no
idea why it is irritating. Maybe he sees no difference between
replying to a week-old post and a two-year-old post because he
has no sense of long-term passage of time more specific than
"today" and "before today". Or maybe he isn't able to judge
what is worth commenting on and what isn't. Or maybe he
compulsively comments on everything.

-- Jeff in Minneapolis
Maybe This ...

Is Exactly, What he Wants ...

ATTENTION!

:wall:

SG-1 Fan
2005-Dec-08, 02:54 PM

True enough, the point you made in your second paragraph is a well-made point that had not occured to me.

Has he ever explained this peculiar habit anywhere? He must realise that this behaviour is annoying a sizeable part of the population here, and if he continues to carry on anyway then this behaviour is at the very least rude, and could even be thought of as trolling. Either one of those is surely worth a smack on the knuckles from a moderator.

He/She may not have explained the habit, but he/she has certainly acknowledged how irritating it might be.

Disinfo Agent
2005-Dec-10, 12:11 AM
Possibly relevant. (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=35750)

Moose
2005-Dec-10, 12:35 AM
A nice christmas present, if so.

Lianachan
2005-Dec-15, 09:15 AM
Judging by utterly pointless resurrection of this thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=23819), it looks like this new rule hasn't made much impact. Apart from possibly leaving the resurrectee open to moderational action, of course.

Gigabyte
2009-Jul-14, 01:22 AM
don't lock it....

I wanna bump it in a couple of years....

Really? That would be funny.

tdvance
2009-Jul-14, 01:51 AM
you're five months early!

Gigabyte
2009-Jul-14, 02:09 AM
Really? I thought the last post was in 2005?

tdvance
2009-Jul-14, 02:12 AM
oh yeah, it's not 2007 anymore!

mickal555
2009-Jul-14, 06:08 AM
何これ

WaxRubiks
2009-Jul-14, 07:16 AM
I'm afraid so Mick101101101

Swift
2009-Jul-14, 12:12 PM
何これ
Mickal, nice to see you. Stick around for a while.

Gigabyte
2009-Jul-14, 03:25 PM
日本語!!

WaxRubiks
2009-Jul-14, 03:53 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/bf/gr/bf_med.gif

Gigabyte
2009-Jul-14, 04:45 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/bf/gr/bf_large2_2.gif

Moose
2009-Jul-14, 05:16 PM
This was a thread that really didn't need raising. You may continue to play over here (http://www.bautforum.com/fun-n-games/).