PDA

View Full Version : Could be Alpha

cyswxman
2005-Oct-22, 05:19 PM
Tropical Depression number 25 has organized over the northern Caribbean, and looks to have a good chance of becoming Tropical Storm Alpha, as the normal list of names has become exhausted. Probably won't attain hurricane strength before shearing is imposed upon it.

Kullat Nunu
2005-Oct-22, 07:41 PM
The US Navy hurricane site (http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html) already uses the name Alpha.

Although it probably won't become a huricane, it still could be disastrous -- its track goes directly over Hispaniola. Haiti is really vulnerable to deadly mudslides and torrential rains caused by hurricanes and tropical storms have claimed many lives there.

cyswxman
2005-Oct-22, 10:25 PM
It is Alpha now.

Cl1mh4224rd
2005-Oct-23, 02:06 AM
It is Alpha now.
A new record!

/me pops open a champagne bottle!

Eh-heh... *cough*

Seriously though... wow. I understand this is believed to be part of a natural cycle, but we still have a month to go until the official "end" of hurricane season. What are the odds of 1-2 more names storms by the end of November?

cyswxman
2005-Oct-23, 02:50 PM
It's possible, though atmospheric conditions are getting more hostile. The most likely area would be closer to Central America.

Eroica
2005-Oct-23, 02:58 PM
Probably won't attain hurricane strength before shearing is imposed upon it. What does this mean? I heard an expert today say something similar about Wilma. Something about windshear preventing Wilma from regaining Category 4 or 5 status before it hits Florida... :confused:

cyswxman
2005-Oct-23, 03:22 PM
What does this mean? I heard an expert today say something similar about Wilma. Something about windshear preventing Wilma from regaining Category 4 or 5 status before it hits Florida... :confused:

Trpoical systems gain, and maintain, strength from the latent heat released from the copious amounts of water vapor condensed in them. This is most efficient when the system can completely surround its center with convection. The nature of a tropical cyclone, known meteorologically as a warm core low, is such that the strongest winds typically exist just off the surface. Higher up the wind speeds decrease. A tropical system needs light environmental winds in order to strengthen. As stronger mid level winds blow into the system, they tend to blow its convection to the downwind side thus hindering the system from wrapping the convection, and resultant energy, around its center. This will weaken, or hinder significant strengthening. In the case of Wilma, the core has been disrupted due to its interaction with the Yucatan, and has weakened. Though its core has now emerged back over the Gulf of Mexico, mid level winds are expected to increase ahead of Wilmas' expected track, and thus significant strengthening is not expected.
I hope that helps.

cyswxman
2005-Oct-23, 04:06 PM
Meanwhile, Alpha will likely move north and, as Wilma, the stronger system, comes closer, Alpha will be Absorbed (http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2005-10-21_720027293251420/tv/star_trek/absorbed.wav)!! :eek:

Eroica
2005-Oct-23, 04:25 PM
Trpoical systems gain, and maintain, strength from the latent heat released from the copious amounts of water vapor condensed in them. This is most efficient when the system can completely surround its center with convection. The nature of a tropical cyclone, known meteorologically as a warm core low, is such that the strongest winds typically exist just off the surface. Higher up the wind speeds decrease. A tropical system needs light environmental winds in order to strengthen. As stronger mid level winds blow into the system, they tend to blow its convection to the downwind side thus hindering the system from wrapping the convection, and resultant energy, around its center. This will weaken, or hinder significant strengthening. In the case of Wilma, the core has been disrupted due to its interaction with the Yucatan, and has weakened. Though its core has now emerged back over the Gulf of Mexico, mid level winds are expected to increase ahead of Wilmas' expected track, and thus significant strengthening is not expected.
I hope that helps.
:clap: Thank you!

cyswxman
2005-Oct-23, 06:34 PM
Your welcome.

Kullat Nunu
2005-Oct-27, 02:13 PM
Tropical Storm Beta has formed!

Kullat Nunu
2005-Oct-27, 06:12 PM
Beta is expected to begin rapid intensification soon, so it may be a major hurricane when it hits the Nicaraguan coast in a couple of days.