PDA

View Full Version : Cannabinoids and Neurogenesis Study

sarongsong
2005-Oct-23, 03:01 AM
October 13, 2005 (http://www.jci.org/cgi/content/abstract/JCI25509v1)
"Abstract
...We show that both embryonic and adult rat hippocampal NS/PCs are immunoreactive for CB1 cannabinoid receptors, indicating that cannabinoids could act on CB1 receptors to regulate neurogenesis..."
Full .pdf article ( https://www.the-jci.org/article.php?id=25509)
2005 by the American Society for Clinical Investigation

Sammy
2005-Oct-23, 03:43 PM
Interesting research!
But please note -- the rats got it by injection. not inhalation :razz:

Gullible Jones
2005-Oct-23, 05:29 PM
Saw it in Science News. Interesting stuff... Perhaps cannabinoids will find future use in the long-term treatment of clinical depression.

sarongsong
2005-Oct-28, 12:43 AM
Hmmh...from another study
...Abstract
Cannabis smoke contains cannabinoids whereas tobacco smoke contains nicotine. Available scientific data, that examines the carcinogenic properties of inhaling smoke and its biological consequences, suggests reasons why tobacco smoke, but not cannabis smoke, may result in lung cancer...Harm Reduction Journal (http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/2/1/21)

Gullible Jones
2005-Oct-28, 01:46 AM
Cannabis smoke contains cannabinoids

Duh.

Available scientific data, that examines the carcinogenic properties of inhaling smoke and its biological consequences, suggests reasons why tobacco smoke, but not cannabis smoke, may result in lung cancer...

Not correct, sorry. Pot may not be as addictive as tobacco, but it can still mess up your lungs if you smoke it. If cannabinoids are to be used to treat depression, some other form of delivery would be very much preferable.

(News: smoking anything will harm your lungs. Sure, nicotine has its own rather unique effect on proteins, but most of the damage comes from combustion products.)

sarongsong
2005-Oct-28, 01:55 AM
...Not correct, sorry...Then how did it get published?

2005-Oct-28, 02:12 AM
Hmmh...from another study
Quote:[...] suggests reasons why tobacco smoke, but not cannabis smoke, may result in lung cancer...Harm Reduction Journal

From the article:

It is possible that as the cannabis-consuming population ages, the long-term consequences of smoking cannabis may become more similar to what is observed with tobacco. However, current knowledge does not suggest that cannabis smoke will have a carcinogenic potential comparable to that resulting from exposure to tobacco smoke.

Do get back to us when they do a study on people who smoke 2 or 3 packs of joints a day for 40 years.

Candy
2005-Oct-28, 03:35 AM
Off-topic: I've tried Cannabis twice separated by a period of 10 years. Each time, it gave me a headache and I fell asleep.

Josh
2005-Oct-28, 04:05 AM
Outside of the smoking-lung damage. I have a very good friend who has clinically diagnosed marijuana induced depression (along with psychosis and paranoia). So it isn't all laughs and late night trips to 7/11 ... not all good news.

sarongsong
2005-Oct-28, 05:18 AM
...Do get back to us when they do a study on people who smoke 2 or 3 packs of joints a day for 40 years.Good luck finding subjects who can do that for one day, much less 40 years.

2005-Oct-28, 05:40 AM
Good luck finding subjects who can do that for one day, much less 40 years.Exactly.

Gillianren
2005-Oct-28, 07:39 PM
I was involved in a discussion once wherein someone said their friends smoked marijuana because it's better for you than tobacco. Of course, I'm not qualified to discuss the medical findings--I don't know them, because I won't smoke either ever--but I did have a question.

Why smoke at all? No matter what smoke you inhale--and I've sat around many a campfire in my time--it's bad for your lungs. I mean, even the smokers I know aren't exactly thrilled when the wind sends a big burst of campfire smoke in their faces. Inhaling anything other than air reduces your oxygen absorption, at least for that breath, which sure isn't good for you.

Now. If cannabinoids can help with my depression, vaya con dios. However, I still won't take 'em if the only way you can is smoking. (I have an appointment with a shrink next Thursday, so we'll see, right?)

sarongsong
2005-Dec-14, 05:08 AM
...I still won't take 'em if the only way you can is smoking...December 13, 2005 (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-12/mu-nad121305.php)
"Researchers have discovered a new drug that raises the level of endocannabinoids--the 'brain's own cannabis'--providing anti-depressant effects...study suggests the new drug, called URB597, might represent a safer alternative to use of marijuana for treatment of pain and depression, and open the door to new and improved treatments..."