PDA

View Full Version : Hubble Reveals Backwards Galaxy

Fraser
2005-Oct-23, 05:03 AM
SUMMARY: The latest image released from the Hubble Space Telescope shows a spiral galaxy that seems to be rotating in the wrong direction. Astronomers expected that galaxy NGC 4622, located 111 million light-years away in the constellation Centaurus, should rotate counter-clockwise but it actually goes clockwise. It's believed that the galaxy consumed a smaller companion galaxy recently which helped reverse its spin.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/article_22.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

JESMKS
2005-Oct-23, 04:57 PM
I can't open the article, but wouldn't the clockwise or counterclock wise direction of rotation of a galaxy depend on whether it is viewed from the "top" or the "bottom"?

dakini
2005-Oct-23, 06:23 PM
404 - Not found

I think it would be interesting to read the article though, if the link gets fixed. A collision with another galaxy would make sense for a reversed galaxy though.

GOURDHEAD
2005-Oct-23, 08:44 PM
What lead them to believe what its rotation should have been...clairvoyance? I couldn't open the linked article either.

iron4
2005-Oct-23, 10:52 PM
I can't open the article, but wouldn't the clockwise or counterclock wise direction of rotation of a galaxy depend on whether it is viewed from the "top" or the "bottom"?
True, but is also true that a trailing spiral (e.g. the Milky Way) will be trailing viewed from both sides. The same can be said for a leading spiral. Curiously, most of the spiral galaxies are trailing spirals

LurchGS
2005-Oct-24, 07:12 PM
True, but is also true that a trailing spiral (e.g. the Milky Way) will be trailing viewed from both sides. The same can be said for a leading spiral. Curiously, most of the spiral galaxies are trailing spirals

Right - but the point is, whether a galaxy (or anything else) is spinning in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction is dependant on the position of the observer relative to said object. So, unless all the other billions of galaxies in the universe are face up to us and this is the only galaxy that's face down...

Tsk - we'll just have to wait until the article is available - maybe that will provide sufficient explanation that we'll be less confused.

ToSeek
2005-Oct-24, 07:25 PM
The original story dates from 2002. Here's a link to the NASA version:

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/2002/03/image/a

ranugad
2005-Oct-24, 07:30 PM
I think this is one of those glitches I heard mentioned.
Seems the article in reference might have been this one (http://www.universetoday.com/html/archive/2002-0207.html) from 2002.

ranugad
2005-Oct-24, 07:35 PM
missed it by that much!

I tried to edit my post but for some weird reason it wouldn't let me.
Maybe it knew I was gonna link the same as ToSeek...

Spacemad
2005-Oct-24, 08:54 PM
I had to visit the link twice before it opened & I could read it!
it was a very interesting article & it seems that this galaxy may have swallowed up a smaller companion galaxy & that is what caused the strange rotation & the two inner arms that are turning in the opposite direction to the outer arms.

RussT
2005-Oct-24, 10:09 PM
It would appear that something has disrupted this galaxy, however, IMO the outer arms tell the story. I am not sure that the inner arms are really rotating clockwise, it's just that the arms connecting to the core are no longer really visable, but IMO, changing the entire rotation of the Super Masive Black Hole from counter-clockwise to clockwise would be impossible.

RussT

S=G

RussT
2005-Oct-24, 10:16 PM
Would anyone like to have a conversation about the Whirlpool Galaxy M51 and it's companion? Many interesting things here, ie...it would appear that there are a lot of sun like stars going into their red giant stage!!! Which would imply that this galaxy is approximayely 10 to 12 billions years of age.

RussT

S=G